Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to admit, my first ride on it I thought that I shouldn't have sold my 6 year old Malolo, but now that the conditions are better (better meaning powder) and I was able to give it a proper wax, edge tune and binding setup, I think I can say this is my favorite board with the Malolo a very close second.

The LL is very stable at speed, not to mention very fast base, I was pulling away from people all day.

On fresh groomers the LL can carve some solid lines, but with its very light swing weight it is right at home in untouched steep trees. With the nose rockering up for a much longer distance then my Malolo did it feels like you're riding a much shorter board, I ride the 163 and it feels to me like a 159

I would ride this as an all mountain everyday board, which I have been, I haven't ridden my Fish all season and have only ridden my Barracuda once this year

In the end I would highly recommend the LANDLORDS, male or female riders.

I've been riding for over 32 years now and have probably ridden 150-200 boards, anything from all wood no edge Burton Woody's, to 1650 Kidwell's, to hard shell Aysm Race boards, to several FISH and now the Landlord. I always try to give accurate, fair reviews that I hope someone can benefit from. I've read great reviews over the years from other riders and can honestly say that it was a review on this site that encouraged me to purchase a FISH.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
ha
I was going to review mine on your thread (but the add thing didn't let me scroll so I just quit)

Yep, best board ever. And same thing, first ride took some getting used to the big setback and taper. But now I can't let it go. It's basically what I've ridden almost every day this season..... and we've gotten LOTS of snow but also some shitty-ish days and it still rocks.

I have a Fish and Dupraz as well, but both are getting serious bench time as I find myself having so much fun on any conditions on the LL. It's one of those boards where everything is well-designed and just dialed.

Have the 159, but I want the 163 too and have both.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hey CB, thanks so much for the review.

Like you, there is a Barracuda currently in my quiver. Could I bother you to expand on what you like about the LL over the Cuda?

Cheers.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Thanks for the review! Considering it's Terje's "board" I figured it would be a good charger.

I'm debating about buying one on a ProDeal to patrol with as a daily driver. The Virus is awesome for this, but at $1500 a pop it's not good to destroy them patrolling. The Prior Khyber I have is awesome, but again, at $850 or so after the pro deal, still a lot of money for a daily driver.

The landlord should be available for under $500 CDN on spring deals coming up too. Unfortunately they only have 154s left on the website.

The 17mm of taper will have a big effect on how it rides forward. I tend to like boards with tons of taper like this (the Khyber has 25mm, the Virus 20 or so) to the point where true twins just don't feel right to me.

I'll probably pick one up in the fall.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,707 Posts

Like you, there is a Barracuda currently in my quiver. Could I bother you to expand on what you like about the LL over the Cuda?

Cheers.
Well the one in your face kinda thing is the camber profile.

LL is "directional camber" = mellow nose rocker then camber all the way to the back contact. The camber in LL is mellower ~3mm than on the Flight Attendant ~6mm; but both extend about the same lenght.

Barracuda is "S-rocker" = nose rocker then flat all the way back. Similar to the current Fishes.

Second is carbon and the core itself. LL has loads of carbon. Barracuda has a more freestyle/unnaggressive flex to it. LL is VERY energetic, and responsive but does not feel overly stiff. Baracuda is probably 6/10 flex and a more conventional Snowboard feel; LL maybe 7.5/10 with more of a carbon-kevlar feel. I think the core and laminates from barracuda are the same as FA. The laminates in the LL are only on the LL (i think)...

Then setback and taper. LL has a LOT. It is very directional, but when on edge it doesnt feel too radical.

The tail.... LL has a pin tail. Love that tail :D
Barracuda has a normal tail.

That said I rode the Fish today. Like 30cm on a weekday... had to be the Fish. But I could have ridden the LL.... the LL floats very well. Rode it on interior BC pow over 30cm and never had float issues and was a blast on those tree runs, and even on the banked slalom course. If I have to bring only 1 board to a resort trip it's the LL no doubt. Unless it's to Japan or heli boarding...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Cheers.
Sorry for the delay, been on the Pinkbike website of late.

the LL is faster, holds edge better (camber) and lighter.

With the longer more gradual nose it rides shorter but with the longer nose floats better on those deep days. More fun on groomers and stiffer then the Cuda.

I like to take my Cuda on 4-6" of new days with fresh groomers, even with the S-rocker the Cuda carves the groomers pretty good due to the nice sidecut. One thing with the Cuda is I feel real stable at speed (45+), no fear of catching an edge.

my only complaint of the Cuda is I wish it were a little stiffer and my only complaint on the LL is cost (bought last years model, cheaper).

Like I said, depending where you live (PNW for me) and your type of riding, I consider the LL my daily driver.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Mr 313, you're in luck, I just looked and both boards are still available and like I stated the 159 Landlord is brand new never ridden with some sort of bindings (I ride Burton, maybe Union, Ride, ?). I think they put the bindings on it for the photo, unless they just don't know snowboarding. It looks like a 18" stance and the back foot looks like it has more angle ?

Anyways both of them are on Offerup.com Seattle area, Sammamish to be exact. He's asking $350 board/bindings post 3 weeks ago and the 163 Malolo in good shape with some sort of Burton bindings asking $100, don't remember location, somewhere in Washington state

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question on sizing.

I've found a 2014 Landlord second hand for $180 Australian (new price for the landlord is around $800 Australian) and it looks to be in good condition, but is a 163. I'm around 72 kg (160 lbs) and have approx. size 12 feet. I'm 6'3" in height. The waist width on the 163 is 258 mm which I think will be enough for my feet, as it is about the same as a 159 wide board anyway.

This board is longer than most of the other boards I've ridden, and bigger in size than what I'd normally ride, and I'm right at the bottom of the listed weight range (165-205 lbs). I've got shorter, more freestyle boards, but the main thing I'm missing at the moment is a board for carving and a powder board. I'm thinking this board could do both of those, but that given the length I may struggle doing tree runs etc. Is this likely to be an issue, or will the board have enough manoeuvrability? I'll be going to Japan for 3 weeks in January, so am hoping to see plenty of powder and get in lots of tree runs, along with some charging down groomers.

Richard

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question on sizing.

I've found a 2014 Landlord second hand for $180 Australian (new price for the landlord is around $800 Australian) and it looks to be in good condition, but is a 163. I'm around 72 kg (160 lbs) and have approx. size 12 feet. I'm 6'3" in height. The waist width on the 163 is 258 mm which I think will be enough for my feet, as it is about the same as a 159 wide board anyway.

This board is longer than most of the other boards I've ridden, and bigger in size than what I'd normally ride, and I'm right at the bottom of the listed weight range (165-205 lbs). I've got shorter, more freestyle boards, but the main thing I'm missing at the moment is a board for carving and a powder board. I'm thinking this board could do both of those, but that given the length I may struggle doing tree runs etc. Is this likely to be an issue, or will the board have enough manoeuvrability? I'll be going to Japan for 3 weeks in January, so am hoping to see plenty of powder and get in lots of tree runs, along with some charging down groomers.

Richard

I have no first hand experience with this board so hopefully someone who does will have some input. I'm curious too. I don't think it's the size that matters as much as the weight range though. I have had a few Burtons and they were all a little on the stiffer side.

From what I gather with the Landlord it has "directional camber", which just means there is more rise in the nose before the camber starts for better float in deep powder, and is placed under the stance which is set back further on this board. I think it has a smaller effective edge and side cut radius for similar length boards so it probably turns tighter than most 163 boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I have no first hand experience with this board so hopefully someone who does will have some input. I'm curious too. I don't think it's the size that matters as much as the weight range though. I have had a few Burtons and they were all a little on the stiffer side.

From what I gather with the Landlord it has "directional camber", which just means there is more rise in the nose before the camber starts for better float in deep powder, and is placed under the stance which is set back further on this board. I think it has a smaller effective edge and side cut radius for similar length boards so it probably turns tighter than most 163 boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah in some ways you're right.

1. It is fairly stiff and responsive. Not a plank at all, so still really lively, because it has a ton of carbon, but not a jib board. Maybe 7 or 8/10. Flight attendant is like 6 or 7/10.

2. The camber section is pretty long, almost the entire EE, but the actual camber height is not much... maybe like 3mm. Compared to Flight Attendant which has like 6mm camber rise. Also, the FA has more effective edge than LL. It's noticeable... the FA has a lot of edge, the LL not so much, so it does feel shorter.

3. The setback, taper, early rise and micro camber (plus I also think the base bevel is angled, not sure how much though, probably 1degree) make the board not feel like a "grippy" board. But the sidecut is really aggressive, so if you have stiff/responsive bindings it will rail and turn pretty sharply on groomers. On pow it is just awesome. Super nice, precise and agile, but reasonably forgiving. For example, the Fish is much more floaty feeling and less precise. Less reactive too. So the Landlord is like a full camber board that floats. The Fish floats.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Going back to some history had a '15 163 LL for a number of years until I jumped on a Burton DT.

Inyo 1.jpg

I mainly rode it in Japan and can say it is a brilliant board. Just watched a number of my GoPro video's from a few years ago to bring back some memories. It is a board that is very smooth from edge to edge. Great freeride board that can confidently charge effortlessly in and out of the powder.

Inyo 3 (2).jpg

The only negative I would say to this board is I can remember it wouldn't hold a front edge that great on steep solid icy terrain but it's not meant to excel here being directional tapered freeride/powder board.

Inyo 4.jpg

Inyo 5.jpg

Inyo 6.jpg

Inyo 7.jpg

LL10.jpg

LL11 (2).jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Would make sense. I just want the standard Fish back in the line. Or actually the camber Fish circa '13.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts