Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 BURTON DUMP TRUCK 163 review.

So folks let's get started....., I've had a '15 Burton Landlord 163 for a number of years now as my go to Jap' freeride board of choice.:wink:

I sold the LL a few months ago as I had my eye on the '18 Burton Dump Truck which is basically the superseded replacement of the LL. Did lots of research reading and watching all the reviews I could find online for the DT, especially from the goodride, that spoke positive about its performance but because of the early days out from release, none were really that comprehensive at all in details.

Anyway with my powdery Japanese holiday looming in the very near distant future I needed to strike soon.:nerd:

Rider profile: 37 years of experience in the snow, with my ability level just on advanced, height 191cm and clocking in at a "healthy?" middle aged 98kg fully kitted up.

Well I emailed Burton Au' who informed me that there were only 7 x DT163 coming into Australia for 2017/18. So making life really really easy, Burton Australia kindly listed for me all the stores that were being allocated these shipments. In Australia online shopping is your biggest friend as the market is tiny compared with the "Megalogigantice" retail enormity of the US of A.:computer1: I ended up grabbing a Burton DT 163 with almost 30% off when it had only just landed retail in store a few days earlier. Absolutely Stoked.

Was so excited watching the tracking waiting for it's arrival. The DT came delivered boxed up and still wrapped in the factory plastic. Well this board looks so much better in the flesh than in the pic's.:chin: The blunt shovel nose and tail are a totally different outline to the LL previous sharper bullet nose and tail style. It's still basically very similar in the profile and size being a tapered directional S rocker but the DT looks a lot more beefier than the LL. The DT is spec'd down a little with a FSC™ Certified Super Fly II™ 700G Core, Dualzone™ EGD™ as opposed to the LL which came out with the ultralight FSC™ Dragonfly 600G Core similar to that used in the Custom X. The Taper on the DT is less at 15mm as opposed to the LL at 17mm.

Being an avid tuner I couldn't wait to start playing with this board. I waxed and rotor brushed her up prior to leaving with Hertal FC739 as you can't ever have enough speed. Kitted up this ride with a set of '18 Genesis "Painted wood" EST bindings and Burton Imperials. Had the DT setup at -15mm to the rear of reference on the front and -20mm back from reference in the rear. So there's heaps of setback going on in here with a distance of 630mm from the nose to the central underside point on the front binding and a distance of 425mm from the tail to the central binding point on the rear.

Touch down Hokkaido, Japan. So my first day on this board was spent in Furano. Dropping off from the top of the Kitanomine Gondola is a nice steep incline of fresh piste to test out its christening. Well, from the 1st turn I made on this board I felt it instantly gelling and blowing me away. What I've noticed straight away with the DT is that you can set down some super heavy high speed carves on the piste with a mind blowing degree of confidence and certainty...., thank you camber. This board is moderately stiff, around a 7 with Burton's 45 degree carbon highlight weave. The fresh FC739 was really kicking in on this WFO sintered base with the DT hooking arse super hard. I was slightly worried from past experience with the S rocker on the LL that at the speed I was clocking in at I might punch the front edge out, but the DT didn't give a single inch. It's almost felt like, how'd you say......, Custom X'ish. I was dropping down some really hard lines at maximum speed and this board feels so much faster than the LL.:snowboard2:

So the DT has left me so damn impressed with its edge hold ability at speed on the groomed piste...., but this isn't what the DT is really about. It's a board made for freeriding.

So off freeriding we go. Lucky for me I'm in Japan and there is absolutely no shortage of any of that here.:snowboard4:

Travelled to Kamui after a glorious 30cm overnight dump.:snowing: and ventured into a little bit of back country hitting some black level knee deep powder runs. Was able to set down some great carves in the untouched freshies immediately with utter confidence. The DT planes so effortlessly through the untracked powder with the blunt nose keeping well on top and the tail becoming so light and surfy.:snowboard1:
You can easily throw the tail of the DT around 180 degrees side to side and slash your way through powdery tree runs with complete ease. Got buried so many times in heaps of powder showers exploding through glorious untouched fresh runs leaving you with the biggest smile on your face.:grin:

This board has absolutely no short comings.

So from 2 solid weeks of riding the Burton DT it has truly impressed me as a next level step up freeride/powder board. There was absolutely no transition needed with my riding style when you jump onto this ride. The DT can joyously do everything I throw at it in both powder and piste with sheer brilliance. This board will lift your ability up so much. It would not be wrong for me to say that, "This is the best board I've ever owned".

Grab this board if you can, it's that damn good.

An easy 5 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
I demoed the Dump Truck this past weekend. I only took it out for a few runs so this isn't an in-depth review or anything, but I didn't like it. It felt like a super stiff plank. It was also very heavy, it felt twice as heavy as my daily driver. I was disappointed, I hoped I would like it more. :frown: Maybe it is better in powder or maybe I'm used to a softer board. I also tried the Trick Pony and I liked that one much better.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I agree with everything except my fat ass sank the board in Japan, couldn't float it without speed.

were you riding reference stance?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
My Landlord is getting repaired, will try it next week. If it's still good I'll keep it, if not i need to grab a Dump Truck.

Got a Cheetah which is awesome, but very very different from the LL.

Also... cool pics!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My Landlord is getting repaired, will try it next week. If it's still good I'll keep it, if not i need to grab a Dump Truck.

Got a Cheetah which is awesome, but very very different from the LL.

Also... cool pics!
I rode a LL for 3 seasons in Japan and a couple of times in Australia and found the LL is a very smooth freeride board to ride. I always felt very comfortable on the LL however I feel that the DT excels over the LL in every area. I don't know why? ....., it just does. It might be just something spinning around in my twisted head. Was doing heaps of tree runs and was able to throw the DT around 180 degrees side to side in the powder almost on the spot with absolute ease. I wasn't cranking flat out but my speed was down a little at this time. Was absolutely amazed how the DT carves. Solid as in groomers.:snowboard4: Have tons of gopro footage and they all show this board absolutely rips in both powder and piste. It's the best freeride board I've ever had.:thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong the LL rips as well but I could tell with just the 1st couple of turns on the DT that I was instantly falling in love with this board......, it's so much better.

I chucked a few LL snaps from last year below.:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I agree with everything except my fat ass sank the board in Japan, couldn't float it without speed.

were you riding reference stance?
I'm 98kg kitted up. I had Burton Genesis EST size L to the max rear on the front foot at -15mm to ref and -15 to -25mm to the rear of ref on back-foot (could have slide back a further 30mm on the rear) on a DT 163. I had to sometimes lean back a little when the speed washed off in the flatter areas of powder.:smile:

Here's a few shots of me enjoying the liveliness of the DT in fresh knee deep Kamui.
Time for a little powder shower.:snowboard4:

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is anyone riding a Dump Truck 154?

I’m 140lbs, 5’8”, size 9. I like a stiffer ride... I’ll be using Genesis X reflex bindings and DC T-rice boots.

It’s a higher price than the Flight Attendant, so I assume it’s a better construction (or maybe it’s not made in China)? Reviews put the FA at a 5 to 7 stiffness (I’m guessing ~6), and some say the DT is more, while another says it’s less stiff. I’m guessing it might be closer to a 7?

How is this board on choppy hard pack? I’ll be seeking powder and trees, but it might become more of a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The DT is stiff at around a 7. It carves really well on piste. I had the bindings dialed back and had no problems setting and holding a tight line on groomers. It's not Custom X level but feels very close. It's a very lively board in powder. I feel it's so much better than my previous LL but it has the same specs. The DT could be a daily ride. It's a 100% freeride board but excels on both piste and powder.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
The DT is stiff at around a 7. It carves really well on piste. I had the bindings dialed back and had no problems setting and holding a tight line on groomers. It's not Custom X level but feels very close. It's a very lively board in powder. I feel it's so much better than my previous LL but it has the same specs. The DT could be a daily ride. It's a 100% freeride board but excels on both piste and powder.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I thought LL's 600G core is supposed to be lighter and more lively than DT 's 700G core. Isn't that the case?

I recently sold my 2016-2017 LL and am looking for a good deal of DT. But I already regretted the moment LL was sold :( Hope this switch is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I thought LL's 600G core is supposed to be lighter and more lively than DT 's 700G core. Isn't that the case?

I recently sold my 2016-2017 LL and am looking for a good deal of DT. But I already regretted the moment LL was sold :( Hope this switch is a good idea.
Big mistake :D :D
Not really.... the DT will be very close. It could be even better.

That LL core is exactly the same core in the Custom X. It is lighter, stiffer, denser wood and with more carbon. This makes it very very lively and responsive, and a bit stiffer to load and pop; but if you do it right you get a TON of pop.

The 700g core is a little bit damper, a little bit heavier, and a little bit softer. It is easier to load for pop and feels a little easier on the knees over chop.

In my opinion the 600g core is definitely better; but I wouldn't sweat it too much, because Burton probably tweaked some things here and there with the shape and the DT is probably better overall..........

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

That LL core is exactly the same core in the Custom X. It is lighter, stiffer, denser wood and with more carbon. This makes it very very lively and responsive, and a bit stiffer to load and pop; but if you do it right you get a TON of pop.

The 700g core is a little bit damper, a little bit heavier, and a little bit softer. It is easier to load for pop and feels a little easier on the knees over chop.

In my opinion the 600g core is definitely better; but I wouldn't sweat it too much, because Burton probably tweaked some things here and there with the shape and the DT is probably better overall..........
Yeah I was bombing this board in and out off the powder all day, preferably in it most of the the time. :thumbsup:
Waxed it up with Hertal FC739 every few days and it was pretty damn fast.:snowboard4:

Couldn't feel that much different with my Custom X.:chin:

I try to keep a long way away from moguls when I'm riding in powder. It handled slightly chopped up piste okay. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts

This really relieved me a lot. Now all I need to do is to look for a DT deal and never look back. Thanks F1EA:grin:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This really relieved me a lot. Now all I need to do is to look for a DT deal and never look back. Thanks F1EA:grin:
Grab this Board mate it totally rips.:thumbsup:
I scored it for $Au596 ($US465) before I went to Japan.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I printed off a pic of the 154cm to try and measure up the board (I don't have one locally).

At the reference stance, it looks like the front binding width is ~261 mm and the rear is ~258 mm. I think it's a tad big for size 9 boots, but not bad.

The reference position is a bit odd though, it looks like it's centered 79.5 mm back from the centre of the board (specs are 54 mm).

This puts the nose at ~585 mm and the tail at only ~426 mm (from binding centre), with the stance width at 530 mm. That's a HUGE setback, probably more for powder than freeride.

I think this is the "balanced freeride geometry", putting "setback camber and a sidecut that is centered on your stance to create a twin freestyle feel when riding flat base", with the additional nose rising up front.

I can't see myself regularly riding it that far back though... I'd probably want to mount my bindings at least 2 cm forward of the reference. But it seems this would mess with the 'balanced freeride geometry' as well as the squeeze box (thinner underfoot, thicker beside the feet).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I printed off a pic of the 154cm to try and measure up the board (I don't have one locally).

At the reference stance, it looks like the front binding width is ~261 mm and the rear is ~258 mm. I think it's a tad big for size 9 boots, but not bad.

The reference position is a bit odd though, it looks like it's centered 79.5 mm back from the centre of the board (specs are 54 mm).

This puts the nose at ~585 mm and the tail at only ~426 mm (from binding centre), with the stance width at 530 mm. That's a HUGE setback, probably more for powder than freeride.

I think this is the "balanced freeride geometry", putting "setback camber and a sidecut that is centered on your stance to create a twin freestyle feel when riding flat base", with the additional nose rising up front.

I can't see myself regularly riding it that far back though... I'd probably want to mount my bindings at least 2 cm forward of the reference. But it seems this would mess with the 'balanced freeride geometry' as well as the squeeze box (thinner underfoot, thicker beside the feet).
I cranked the binding back to max on the front foot (Genesis EST) and around -20mm on the rear. This is an S-Rockered tapered directional freeride board so I'm not really doing any switch just ripping it through powder. This gives the nose heaps of lift and the back leg to sink a little easier, so there's no burn. Back on the piste it still carves solid as a rock with this set up dialed in. :snowboard4:

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

You must be so fun at parties.
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I rarely ride switch, but the reference setback seems excessive... I'm surprised that you added even more setback! Do you really need that for float?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I rarely ride switch, but the reference setback seems excessive... I'm surprised that you added even more setback! Do you really need that for float?
When you cranking it through knee deep+ powder you'll love that light surfie feel of it dialed back. If your on the hard piste you'll be carving off the front foot more so you can go forward if you want. I never did as it was so easy to smash the carves around. I'm a big unit at 191cm/95-8kg'ish kitted up so have no problems muscling this ride (just using some colorful terms:eek:k:). You can play around with it but in the powder it's so much more fun and really comes to life dialed back.:wink:

I can't find any pic's without snow all over the board but you can get a rough idea of the tail and nose lengths.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ordered one... at 30% off I just couldn’t resist. Hopefully it arrives before the last weekend of the season!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts