Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying the 2014 DC ply and looking at the size charts for it it seems that I should get a 159cm (or 156cm) board, since i weigh 172lbs. However looking at Torstein Horgmo who rides the same board size 150cm i get confused because he only weighs 154 lbs.

So, my question is basically: why the heck do i supposedly need a 9cm longer board for just weighing 18lbs (8kgs) more?

My current stiff freeride board is 159cm! I see no sense in getting a just as long parkboard, since parkboards should supposedly be shorter than stiffer freeride boards?

Please, kill my confusion!

Sidenote: torstein is supposedly 5'8" (171cm) tall, and im 6'1" (186cm), however i've read that the height is not the deciding factor but the weight is.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Weight charts are a guide, not law. You can add or subtract 3 or 4cm from whatever is recommended to get a freeride or freestyle board.

FWIW, I was riding 30 lbs over the recommended weight range for my board... and it was not a problem. I went from a 157 to a 160 this year and I am still 10lbs over.

·
Registered
884 Posts
if you are looking at it for jib/ park go with a 153-154 you will be good. I'm the same weight as you, i tried a 151 and it just felt to damn small. i normally ride a 157 for all around.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Not sure who Torstein is but I see his name come up a lot, so I assume he's some kinda pro? If so, comparing what he rides to what you ride would be like me trying to decide what tires I need on my 4Runner based on what Kimi Raikkonen runs on his F1 car.

Pick what works for you, and ignore the pros. I ride boards like Terje Haakonsen, but he rides with a forward stance and I use a symmetrical duck stance. Should I switch because he rides forward?

·
Registered
92 Posts
size guides are recommendations, not law. I bought a 156 and i weigh 130-135 pounds. i have also ridden comfortably on a 158, 149, another 156, and a board that i think is a 156. most of them are old and/ or soft, but the point is size is preference. i have yet to ride the new 156 so cant tell you anything about how that rides. If you are looking for a park board, people tend to size down for those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts