Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these 2020 Union Strata bindings in 4/19 to go on a trip to Mammoth from Backcountry (supposed to be an exclusive color) The trip got cancelled so I've been sitting on these for close to a year. These have never been dropped, damaged, riden or anything prior to yesterday.

Yesterday was literally the first time out with them. All I was able to do is plow and do small turns as most of the day I was teaching my nephews to ride. I didn't do anything other than this. To say I am in shock, completely pissed and frustrated is an understatement. Both bindings are chipped as seen in the pics.
We rode from 830-1230. Took the board to the car to see this, They look like they've already been through a war:
20200121_130937.jpg
20200121_130856.jpg
20200121_130818.jpg
20200121_130813.jpg

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I bought these 2020 Union Strata bindings in 4/19 to go on a trip to Mammoth from Backcountry (supposed to be an exclusive color) The trip got cancelled so I've been sitting on these for close to a year. These have never been dropped, damaged, riden or anything prior to yesterday.

Yesterday was literally the first time out with them. All I was able to do is plow and do small turns as most of the day I was teaching my nephews to ride. I didn't do anything other than this. To say I am in shock, completely pissed and frustrated is an understatement. Both bindings are chipped as seen in the pics.
We rode from 830-1230. Took the board to the car to see this, They look like they've already been through a war: View attachment 152215 View attachment 152216 View attachment 152217 View attachment 152218
Well you obviously had something scraping them, hitting them, etc. Believe it or not paint doesn't chip like that without contact.... SOOOOOO what did you hit them on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well you obviously had something scraping them, hitting them, etc. Believe it or not paint doesn't chip like that without contact.... SOOOOOO what did you hit them on?
figures..

nothing was hit on them snow is the only things they've touched. I can take my nail and peel off the finish.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My unions look like that too, but there's no way you could scratch the finish off with your nail. That doesn't sound right. Have you contacted Union?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contacted union through warranty and also backcountry.

Trying to see what someone can do. I've had my Sims Link binding for 25yrs and they dont look anything like this.

And no, didnt any contact through lift lines... I wish it was.. at least I could say.. yes this is what happened. But no, not this time. This is a defect.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Contacted union through warranty and also backcountry.

Trying to see what someone can do. I've had my Sims Link binding for 25yrs and they dont look anything like this.

And no, didnt any contact through lift lines... I wish it was.. at least I could say.. yes this is what happened. But no, not this time. This is a defect.

Even a defect can't cause paint to chip. Only contact can chip like that. Sliding down an icy patch with your heel cup dragging maybe? We all get you're upset and maybe it is indeed warranty, But air didn't blow chip flakes off your binding. Be honest and maybe we can help you.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Some of it looks like airbubbles from the paintjob, but won't make a difference to how it rides.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

Union warranty contacted me and they agree there is something wrong with the finish and should never chip this easily. They also noticed the air bubble defect.

They're sending new ones out. Sweet!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Great news! I wouldn't have even tried to warranty that, but I'm stoked Union hooked you up. I just broke a highback on the lift, and I think I'm outta luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another update:

Just received the replacement heelcups. And this is how they arrived:

You can see the flakes of blue inside the bubble wrap. Both are damaged/chipping. Literally just opened the package.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Sounds like you should start a class action.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts