Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Trimming down the quiver to two boards for next season and looking to jump on what is left of last seasons models to round it out now. Must be limited to two boards as I fly for my days, and carrying more than that just doesn’t work (weight).

The way I’d like to structure it is:
Freestyle board
Freeride / All Mountain freedride board

Want something I can ride somewhat aggressively but is still fun to butter / play on (have a Headspace, but it’s a little soft imo), then a big mountain charger that can also handle those powder days.

Would love any insight in how this strategy has worked out for any of y’all who travel for your runs (and from those who dont).

More board focused discussion:
Freestyle - Headspace (own), but leaning toward something near a YES Greats for a little more stiffness between the feet
Freeride - YES PYL, BSOD, Jones Flagship, K2 Manifest / Alchemist all on the short list

6’, 190 and athletic so don’t have a problem bending stiff boards in tight sections. Definitely gravitate toward “big mountain” boards with stability at speed. And would rather be on something less forgiving with great edge hold for those icy days.

Hit me!

·
Registered
288 Posts
From your list Alchemist / Greats seems a pretty solid quiver!

For the freestyle board you can have a look at: Amplid stereo, Super Doa, Salon Assassin, Slash brainstrom (or ATV of you want something more aggressive).
For the freeride charger: Slash Straight or vertical (more nimble/precise still super stable), Amplid Surfari, Capita Kazu of you wanted something more fs (still can handle quite a lot of mountain).

At least that's some I'm considering!

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I really like my Salomon super 8 157. We're similar specs. You can play with the set back and itll change the feel. I could ride that board only and be satisfied. I hadn't ridden my freestyle board in a few months and I went back to it last weekend. The whole time I was thinking I should have rode the Super 8. Damn thing charges hard, jumps, and has decent float.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I'm a huge fan of my Rome Mod for an all-mountain freestyle board. I weigh 10lb more than you and it's butterable and rides boxes and rails just fine but still pretty stiff when you need it. If you're not jibbing it's one of the best jump boards out there, and if you set the bindings back slightly it's so much fun to carve on.

I have a powder board (Stalefish) to complement it because that's its weak spot. But I also just picked up a Niche Maelstrom on sale for those days I ride at resorts with no park and want to blast around on groomers. Reviews say it's decent in powder too but I can't comment on that. With the early rise nose and mild taper I think it will outperform my other boards on those mild powder/slushy days. It's certainly an old-school stiff camber board and I like that.

I haven't ridden a Super 8 but that was the other board I was considering when the Niche went on sale for a ridiculously good price.

Anyway, I think your two-board quiver idea is solid as long as you make sure there's enough difference between the boards.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I'm a huge fan of my Rome Mod for an all-mountain freestyle board. I weigh 10lb more than you and it's butterable and rides boxes and rails just fine but still pretty stiff when you need it. If you're not jibbing it's one of the best jump boards out there, and if you set the bindings back slightly it's so much fun to carve on.

I have a powder board (Stalefish) to complement it because that's its weak spot. But I also just picked up a Niche Maelstrom on sale for those days I ride at resorts with no park and want to blast around on groomers. Reviews say it's decent in powder too but I can't comment on that. With the early rise nose and mild taper I think it will outperform my other boards on those mild powder/slushy days. It's certainly an old-school stiff camber board and I like that.

I haven't ridden a Super 8 but that was the other board I was considering when the Niche went on sale for a ridiculously good price.

Anyway, I think your two-board quiver idea is solid as long as you make sure there's enough difference between the boards.
Exact same. Rome Mod lets me ride the whole mountain doing literally everything and then I have an Arbor Shreddy Krueger which is just an incredibly fun and playful powder board for days of deep fresh. There's no shortage of great pow boards on the market now though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are building a 2 boards quiver you will still need quite versatile boards in it but with different characters.
My quiver for next season will be the K2 Party Platter 152 for the days when I feel like jibbing, slush slashing, and the Korua Dart 160 for big mountain, carving, groomer ripping, icy conditions.
Still want a loosy fish with 3D nose but try to do my best to keep it down to 2.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
For the freestyle; Yes Standard, Rome National, Lib TRS, Gnu RCC3, Ride Algorythm, or a Rossi Juggernaut

Directional freeride/all mountain; Nerd Superposition, Arbor Annex, Nidecker Alpha, Jones Stratos, Rome Ravine Select, Niche Maelstrom, or a Ride Mtn Pig

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you are building a 2 boards quiver you will still need quite versatile boards in it but with different characters.
💯 I made a two (resort) boards quiver this year and went niche a bit too much. Full-on pow and carving with the Korua on one side and groomer and park with the Asymulator. Both are great, but they leave a gap for playful all-mountain freeride (a bit left-over pow, mixing groomers and off-piste…). I had a few days with the "wrong" board. It would have been better with a bit more overlap on the all-mountain side of things.

That being said, I don't see myself selling one either… 😅

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Hey all,

Trimming down the quiver to two boards for next season and looking to jump on what is left of last seasons models to round it out now. Must be limited to two boards as I fly for my days, and carrying more than that just doesn’t work (weight).

The way I’d like to structure it is:
Freestyle board
Freeride / All Mountain freedride board

Want something I can ride somewhat aggressively but is still fun to butter / play on (have a Headspace, but it’s a little soft imo), then a big mountain charger that can also handle those powder days.

Would love any insight in how this strategy has worked out for any of y’all who travel for your runs (and from those who dont).

More board focused discussion:
Freestyle - Headspace (own), but leaning toward something near a YES Greats for a little more stiffness between the feet
Freeride - YES PYL, BSOD, Jones Flagship, K2 Manifest / Alchemist all on the short list

6’, 190 and athletic so don’t have a problem bending stiff boards in tight sections. Definitely gravitate toward “big mountain” boards with stability at speed. And would rather be on something less forgiving with great edge hold for those icy days.

Hit me!
I love the idea of a 2-board quiver because of simplicity and versatility at the same time.

IMO, I would make sure the 2 boards complement each other and use the same model bindings (get 2 pairs if possible) for consistency.

·
Registered
165 Posts
💯 I made a two (resort) boards quiver this year and went niche a bit too much. Full-on pow and carving with the Korua on one side and groomer and park with the Asymulator. Both are great, but they leave a gap for playful all-mountain freeride (a bit left-over pow, mixing groomers and off-piste…). I had a few days with the "wrong" board. It would have been better with a bit more overlap on the all-mountain side of things.

That being said, I don't see myself selling one either… 😅
My question is, what boards would best fill that gap?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I could be replacing the Asymulator for an Outerspace living or an Amplid Stereo (as a good middle ground between the Asym and say a Mercury) to keep a twin. Could be a slash brainstorm (pretty similar to a mountain twin) if I wanted a true daily driver. I'm really tempted by a Dancehaul, same have fun turning and small tricks state of mind, but totally different shape and more off-piste than park… I would have two wide tapered boards, but who cares?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I mainly rode 2 boards past season.
Rome National and Rome Ravine.

They covered pretty much the type of riding I like to do in every conditions. I plan to stick to this quiver and start to get rid of some of my other boards.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I envy you guys that can do this. Even if forced to, there's no way I could get it down below 5-6. Every season there's a point where I manage to get the quiver down to 10-12 boards, but it always balloons back up to 15-20.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I envy you guys that can do this. Even if forced to, there's no way I could get it down below 5-6. Every season there's a point where I manage to get the quiver down to 10-12 boards, but it always balloons back up to 15-20.
What is really comes down to is how many days do you spend on the mountain? I know some of you guys spend 50 plus. Which in that case you can have a big quiver. But for someone like me who did 19 days this year which is a lot since I'm hours from from only a few resorts. I mainly go on weekends and to have a 20 board quiver would be ridiculous. But I do enjoy board shopping and staring at them in my garage lol. I like swapping boards, it's fun to see contrast between models, but its also nice to spend substantial amount of time on one board.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
What is really comes down to is how many days do you spend on the mountain? I know some of you guys spend 50 plus. Which in that case you can have a big quiver. But for someone like me who did 19 days this year which is a lot since I'm hours from from only a few resorts. I mainly go on weekends and to have a 20 board quiver would be ridiculous. But I do enjoy board shopping and staring at them in my garage lol. I like swapping boards, it's fun to see contrast between models, but its also nice to spend substantial amount of time on one board.
That's a valid point. A huge quiver would be a bit ridiculous if I was limited to that many days a year, especially since I'm not a collector. I find it really fun to try out new boards, so even if that means a smaller quiver at any given time, new boards would still pass through my hands each season (although maybe not 9 new ones like this season).

·
Super Moderator
1,479 Posts
Yeah this is why I don’t have 20 boards luckily, I mean for me to have 5 is a massive overkill and for someone who travels by air and can really only take two maybe three boards a time it does make decisions very difficult each trip. I mean if you knew the stress I’m currently under right now trying to work out which 2 boards to take to NZ in a couple of months you’d be horrified :ROFLMAO:

Like you though I do love just getting them out at times and looking at them. It does still give me that connection to the mountain when I need it. My wife just things I’m mad.

I think I’d like to get down to 2 maybe 3 boards and possibly flip 1 each year and bring another in. Might look into that but really not sure what I’d get rid of, wouldn’t be the Surfari that I know.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts