Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I envy you guys that can do this. Even if forced to, there's no way I could get it down below 5-6. Every season there's a point where I manage to get the quiver down to 10-12 boards, but it always balloons back up to 15-20.
Why do you envy people who have less boards than you?

·
Registered
143 Posts
A 2 board quiver huh,
now thats a thought exercise ..........................,

wow

right it wud have to be ...
1- an all rounder about the +/- 160cm ish size prob full camber profile., short fatty springs to mind
out of whwat i have prob something out of the YES optimistic, but id size down to 157 as thats pretty full and bouyant as it is and can ride shorter or longer than it is by moving bindings about.
or keep the TELOS backslash perhaps @ 153 rides mihty big for its size, or cud just keep on the dupraz d1 159 for day to day groomers but prob go the carbon edition of it for pilfering , any/all of those wud be brilliant and id have no complaints

2- Then a proper pow float deck, the nidecker ultralight, jones UME, volkl selecta , jones ME, are my immediate thoughts.
yea i dont neeed to venture past those, tried trusted and true.

i think id prob go for a 157 optimistic and the whoaaaaarrrr.................... so tough...
hmmm..

nidecker ultralight wud get it,, yea, the 164w can handle just about anything id ride plus it can double as a alternate when i feel like a change, i just prefer camber feel to rocker these days even in pow, might be giving up a bit of extra deep bouyancy with 2 camber sticks and a bit of realxed feel but yea thats my 2 board quiver.

happy with that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have analysis paralysis in the morning with 2 boards... Can't imagine with more.

It's also down to the kind of terrain you ride I think. We tend to roam our off-piste runs as our main goal, while hitting groomers and any sidehits/park we find on the way, so this call for pretty versatile boards. When I used to ride the pipe all morning in the summer, that was much simpler!

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I envy you guys that can do this. Even if forced to, there's no way I could get it down below 5-6. Every season there's a point where I manage to get the quiver down to 10-12 boards, but it always balloons back up to 15-20.
LOL y’all are wild

Unfortunately gotta live in nyc, so I’m flying to SLC or CO for my days. Had 3 boards this season but bag only hold 2 by weight, and the less versatile board always gets left behind. If I was able to get more than 30-40 days a season, I’d prob consider more!

Great suggestions in here for the Freeride selections, helping me open up my decision process.

Think I’m settling on this:
All mountain freestyle: YES Greats - 159
- I’m right in the line between the 156 and 159, so sizing up because of boots size / riding style. Rarely spend any time jibbing, not something i'm looking to get into and would rather have the extra length for the rest of the mountain. Also want the grip from that sidecut for the few east coast ice skating trips I take during the year.
Freeride: Damn im unsure
- Here's the issue: think i've settled on the PYL as the board with all the characteristics I want, but waist width to length is really giving me a headache in choosing. Boot / weight wise I fit the 160W, but also want the additional length of a 162 (too skinny, hate toe and heel drag). Was thinking I might as well go to the 164W, and further solidify it as my charger / powder board. Seems huge for such a stiff board. I'm quite strong for 190, so flexing it wont be a huge issue, but still guessing I can say goodbye to any thought of chilling on this in moguls / trees. Other option in is a Jones Flagship, which fits better in the width / length categories but isnt quite as stiff and that bums me out

Already sizing up the Greats, so might as well do the same here right? Avoid the overlap

·
Registered
62 Posts
LOL y’all are wild

Unfortunately gotta live in nyc, so I’m flying to SLC or CO for my days. Had 3 boards this season but bag only hold 2 by weight, and the less versatile board always gets left behind. If I was able to get more than 30-40 days a season, I’d prob consider more!

Great suggestions in here for the Freeride selections, helping me open up my decision process.

- I’m right in the line between the 156 and 159, so sizing up because of boots size / riding style. Rarely spend any time jibbing, not something i'm looking to get into and would rather have the extra length for the rest of the mountain. Also want the grip from that sidecut for the few east coast ice skating trips I take during the year.
- Here's the issue: think i've settled on the PYL as the board with all the characteristics I want, but waist width to length is really giving me a headache in choosing. Boot / weight wise I fit the 160W, but also want the additional length of a 162 (too skinny, hate toe and heel drag). Was thinking I might as well go to the 164W, and further solidify it as my charger / powder board. Seems huge for such a stiff board. I'm quite strong for 190, so flexing it wont be a huge issue, but still guessing I can say goodbye to any thought of chilling on this in moguls / trees. Other option in is a Jones Flagship, which fits better in the width / length categories but isnt quite as stiff and that bums me out

Already sizing up the Greats, so might as well do the same here right? Avoid the overlap
Personally I don't like long boards at all. I can only recommend what i've ridden for the most part. Although I've watched reviews and read about tons of boards....point is check out the Super 8. Its a setback camber, tapered, and for a 157 is 309-260-300. I'm 200lbs 6ft 11boot and I love it for all mountain/freeride/some powder. Just above middle of the road flex with sintered base. Looks like they just released the 2023 model but the older ones can be found for pretty cheap. I picked up the bachelor edition barely used because that's where I mainly ride. For tracked out powder days in trees etc damn thing charges hard. I also have a 154 powder racer. Love it in thick powder but once it gets tracked out I get bucked around like crazy because its soooo soft.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
LOL y’all are wild

Specs says the 160w has more surface area than 162.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Personally I don't like long boards at all. I can only recommend what i've ridden for the most part. Although I've watched reviews and read about tons of boards....point is check out the Super 8. Its a setback camber, tapered, and for a 157 is 309-260-300. I'm 200lbs 6ft 11boot and I love it for all mountain/freeride/some powder. Just above middle of the road flex with sintered base. Looks like they just released the 2023 model but the older ones can be found for pretty cheap. I picked up the bachelor edition barely used because that's where I mainly ride. For tracked out powder days in trees etc damn thing charges hard. I also have a 154 powder racer. Love it in thick powder but once it gets tracked out I get bucked around like crazy because its soooo soft.
Guess I was trying to avoid redundancy with two similar board lengths (though both very different)

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
LOL y’all are wild

I recently picked up a ripsaw 56, well 2 of them actually, but one of them is the same year as my 160X.
Since i used to size down in the spring & hit the park aaa lot more i figured I'd bring both of them and compare the two.

Started on the 56.
Woe i was pleasantly surprised.
Nothing in particular stood out, but i was diggin' it.

Then i switched back to the 160X.
Oh fuck yeah, now i remember why i love this thing so much.
Everything about it was just so much better.
It made me want to go faster, bigger & dig deeper trenches.
I'm only about a buck 60, so at a buck 90 i would do the 164 wide without a doubt

TT

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

I’m about your size, 9 US, I rode the Greats 154 for good 20 days 3 seasons ago, also rode the Typo, Ghost, Optimistic on multiple occasions. Carefully flexed the PYL. Rode my friends new Flagship.

PYL vs Flagship.
The PYL is a bit softer and the Flag isn’t a stiff board anyway. Don’t worry the flex in any case. The PYL is around 6.5 and the Flag around 7. The Flagship is super forgiving for how it is marketed. Having ridden many Yes boards I’m sure the PYL sits in the same realm.
With the PYL the underbite makes it narrower at the inserts so go wider if in doubt (the Flagship is also pretty narrow as the magne bump in the middle makes it look wider than it is). If I were to buy these I’d get 162-165 and wide sizes for all mnt freeride at 190-200 lbs.

The Greats is wider than the specs suggest (midbite) and I’d go 156 for your board combo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I’m about your size, 9 US, I rode the Greats 154 for good 20 days 3 seasons ago, also rode the Typo, Ghost, Optimistic on multiple occasions. Carefully flexed the PYL. Rode my friends new Flagship.

PYL vs Flagship.
The PYL is a bit softer and the Flag isn’t a stiff board anyway. Don’t worry the flex in any case. The PYL is around 6.5 and the Flag around 7. The Flagship is super forgiving for how it is marketed. Having ridden many Yes boards I’m sure the PYL sits in the same realm.
With the PYL the underbite makes it narrower at the inserts so go wider if in doubt (the Flagship is also pretty narrow as the magne bump in the middle makes it look wider than it is). If I were to buy these I’d get 162-165 and wide sizes for all mnt freeride at 190-200 lbs.

The Greats is wider than the specs suggest (midbite) and I’d go 156 for your board combo.
Youre the man - super helpful input right here. Really surprised to hear the PYL is softer than that Flagship tbh, thought it was the other way around

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Youre the man - super helpful input right here. Really surprised to hear the PYL is softer than that Flagship tbh, thought it was the other way around
They are really comparable in flex. 0.5 difference I gave you is negligable. Don’t sweat the flex difference.
Your choice here is the sidecut, the edge tech magne vs underbite and if you like 3d shaping or not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
They are really comparable in flex. 0.5 difference I gave you is negligable. Don’t sweat the flex difference.
Your choice here is the sidecut, the edge tech magne vs underbite and if you like 3d shaping or not.
Fair - all of that is why I lean toward the PYL. Edge tech / side cut radius(‘s) take the cake for me

·
Registered
388 Posts
Selling away a lot of boards this summer, plan is to have 3 boards + 1 split for the next couple of seasons. But could never do just 2.

Need one dedicated for bootpacking forrest pow, one for resort/groomer riding and a dedicated park board. That combined with a split for touring should be spot on.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts