Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I was hoping to solicit some advice from those who own multiple boards.

A little bit of background: I'm 29 and started snowboarding about 14 years ago with a 4 year gap in the middle where I hardly went; I consider myself to be at a relatively high skill level when it comes to everything but riding in the park; I love hitting up backcountry for fresh powder or finding new routes through trees; I can rip through double black diamonds or whatever the hardest runs are; I only really hit straight airs on the medium sized jumps and 50/50s on the occasional boxes and rails.

Last season, I spent maybe 25% of the time on a dozen trips riding switch for the first time ever in an attempt to progress to being able to comfortably spin for jumps and boxes/rails. It took a while but I'm hoping to start throwing 180s and 360s this winter.

Back to the point of the post. I currently own a 2009 We are UnInc. (made by Burton) 158cm which is basically a Custom in my understanding. I got it off a friend a few years back after having borrowed it for the previous season, the return from my 4 year hiatus.

I also purchased a 150cm Burton Nug a couple months ago as I was able to find a deal for 200 bucks and the board has always interested me. My current Cartel EST bindings that I own fit with the Burton transition kit since the EST system changed a bit a couple years back. This is the first non-regular camber board that I've owned. I have ridden a friend's reverse camber board before though. I rode a friend's K2 Gyrator once and that was a fun board. My other friend has Banana that he really enjoys.

My birthday is coming up and I have a little bit of extra spending money and I'm thinking about picking up a third board. I already purchased a season pass with access to a few mountains.

Based on my current boards, what would you recommend or go for yourself? Should I get a longer reverse-camber board since the Nug is supposedly not so good in the really deep pow and the Custom is also limited there? If so, which boards would you be looking at and why?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
What type of riding are you looking to do more of that you want to add a new board? Also what is your weight? The two boards you have now have a lot of similarities. Maybe go split, true big mountain, or powder

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
So you essentially have a cambered custom 158 and a Nug 150, the 158 is a pretty all around board so it makes a third board a little harder choice.

If there's frequent powder where you ride consider a tapered powder board like the barracuda.

If you want to go more on the hard charging side custom x.

I think the uninc is problematic for s three board quiver, I'd flip it and get the following

Nug for fun
Flying V custom or Antler for soft snow
Custom X for charging or icy conditions (or keep the uninc since its cambered)

Above would be good for eastern conditions

For the west

Nug for fun
Barracuda or similar for powder maybe Sherlock?
Cambered custom or custom x for groomers (or keep the uninc)

I only know burton stuff, others can cover the rest of the universe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of riding are you looking to do more of that you want to add a new board? Also what is your weight? The two boards you have now have a lot of similarities. Maybe go split, true big mountain, or powder

Doh, should have included that. I usually weigh around 175-180lbs and I'm 6'2".

My take is that I feel like I really don't have something for big powder but my existing boards can pretty much cover the rest. I don't really know much about good powder boards besides that reverse camber helps with float...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you essentially have a cambered custom 158 and a Nug 150, the 158 is a pretty all around board so it makes a third board a little harder choice.

If there's frequent powder where you ride consider a tapered powder board like the barracuda.

If you want to go more on the hard charging side custom x.

I think the uninc is problematic for s three board quiver, I'd flip it and get the following

Nug for fun
Flying V custom or Antler for soft snow
Custom X for charging or icy conditions (or keep the uninc since its cambered)

Above would be good for eastern conditions

For the west

Nug for fun
Barracuda or similar for powder maybe Sherlock?
Cambered custom or custom x for groomers (or keep the uninc)

I only know burton stuff, others can cover the rest of the universe
Thanks! I'm west coast with primary destinations being Tahoe and Mammoth, but week-long yearly trips usually out of the country with a group of friends.

Yea, the custom does kind of put the 3 board quiver into a weird situation since when you get to 3, they would ideally all have specialties, not be an all-around board. I'll have to consider your advice on selling the uninc 158!

I appreciate your advice on the Burton side of things. I'll be researching those options!

Anyone have recommendations for a non-Burton board? My first board ever was an old ASR Santa Cruz and it's only been Burton since.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Woah, first of all the uninc is not a custom. It's an awesome board: stiff with ellip kicks. second, the nug will float in deep pow no problem. The nug is great for dorking around, and it's good fun in the park too.
You don't need another board - you've got a good quiver right there

·
Registered
751 Posts
uninc and nug have lots of similarities??? wtf? apart from being both burton, they are nothing alike!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woah, first of all the uninc is not a custom. It's an awesome board: stiff with ellip kicks. second, the nug will float in deep pow no problem. The nug is great for dorking around, and it's good fun in the park too.
Oh, I didn't know that. I'd always seen it listed as Burton Custom UnInc. Doing some googling, I've seen some say that it transitioned into the Easy Living series of boards. But when I look at those, they seem to be a mix of both cambers, which I know mine is not. It's been a great board nonetheless! Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll hold off until I get to ride the Nug...

·
Registered
751 Posts
the uninc was ridden by the uninc team (DCP, Gigi, Romain, JP and JA) then danny Davis came in for the last year, then the team got cut and the easy livin was Danny Davis' board. First year easy livin' came in camber or flying v, then the year after it went to just flying v.
Anyways, watch some old absinthe videos to see what the board was for. It's a stiff jump board which means it's good allmountain and the ellip kicks help in the pow. Use it for going fast or on icey days.
The nug is super fun, and it floats really well in powder. Use it for having fun.
Ride both and decide which one you like best for park & powder.

I've ridden both boards by the way

·
The Swiss Miss
7,439 Posts
second, the nug will float in deep pow no problem. The nug is great for dorking around, and it's good fun in the park too.
Quiver? :icon_scratch: He has an old board and a short fun board. Not really a quiver... :dunno: I don't know the Nug, but I really doubt, that a 150 will be a good deep pow board at 180 lbs.

My take is that I feel like I really don't have something for big powder but my existing boards can pretty much cover the rest. I don't really know much about good powder boards besides that reverse camber helps with float...
Based on my current boards, what would you recommend or go for yourself? Should I get a longer reverse-camber board since the Nug is supposedly not so good in the really deep pow and the Custom is also limited there? If so, which boards would you be looking at and why?
So your camber is aged anyway. If you like to carve/charge groomers, the Jones Flagship (camber hybrid) is a board I know that covers the carving/charge aspects very well and is great in pow. If you want hybrid rocker, NS Raptor is a nice one. There are others, these are just two I know.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,439 Posts
Neni, what do you know of quivers I wonder? You obviously know little of the uninc or nug
:dizzy: Re-read. What I indicated was that 1 board is old (thus not really counting anymore), so just 1 board remains. And that's not a quiver but just 1 board. That's what I said (or wanted to say ;))

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
:dizzy: Re-read. What I indicated was that 1 board is old (thus not really counting anymore), so just 1 board remains. And that's not a quiver but just 1 board. That's what I said (or wanted to say ;))
A 2009 board if not ridden hard is by no means old, it is barely middle-aged. Especially true for the higher-end Burton boards.

And you are lucky that you did not make that comment on EL - the UnInc is considered an iconic deck over there.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Careful now, this is the off season, no snow means the only way to get your fix is get more stuff.

I'll offset this dangerous comment above, I think OP needs 2 new boards.

Custom x for charging, and maybe instead of Barracuda I originally suggested he should get a split board and take some back country courses.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I guess one has to be real core to think a 5 year old board wont ride... :icon_scratch:

btw thats a 07' - 08' uninc, 08' - 09' is the one with the glow in the dark topsheet

·
Registered
751 Posts
Careful now, this is the off season, no snow means the only way to get your fix is get more stuff.

I'll offset this dangerous comment above, I think OP needs 2 new boards.

Custom x for charging, and maybe instead of Barracuda I originally suggested he should get a split board and take some back country courses.

The uninc is as stiff as a custom x.
I agree with you, there's endless stuff to spend money on. I just counted and found I have 5 goretex jackets and 5 pairs of gore tex pants .:unsure:
Actually I know what he should get: bindings for the nug. That way he can take 2 boards to the hill and switch out at lunch.

fwiw I think the barracuda is a shit board

1 - 20 of 27 Posts