Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe I haven't bought a new board since the Ride Timeless. I had a lot of catching up to do with manufacturers and 2014 board models. I'm still unsure which board would be right for me as well as rocker, so I'd love to hear some opinions. Price doesn't matter since I don't buy a board every year anymore, I plan to keep for a good 4 years.

I've been snowboarding for 20 years. Recent casually riding at Mt Hood and Bachelor. I still surf and skate, and when I ride the mountain I'm looking for untracked snow, plowing through trees, steep runs and some back country. Love mid sized jumps and pipe but don't do anything crazy anymore.

I was checking out the Endeavor Clout, Rome Mod Rocker, Yes PYL, Salomon Villain and the 2014 Burton models. I've had so many Burton's though since 1993... Count me out of Capita though, graphics made my eyes explode...yes I'm blind writing this now. Speaking of now, just purchased the NOW Drive bindings, stoked to ride these!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ride highlife UL should be on your list as well

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would suggest you get 2 boards.

There are good "all around" boards that serve a good purpose. But I find it worth the extra $ to also have specific boards that really shine in the purpose they were designed for.

It would be best if you could try renting a few different types of boards, ride them in what they were designed for, and see what you think. I did a combination of jumping in and buying different boards over the past few years, and renting different variations when I could. So have a little experience in what I like best for me; and there are more I would like to try if I had the chance.

I would say to consider a free-ride or powder board for the pow and back country.

I tried several pow boards and the one I stuck with is the Burton Fish. So surfy and fun! I finally got my reluctant wife to try it and she was a believer by the time she got to the bottom of the first hill (now she has a Fishcuit 150). I got my boy who hates powder (prefers groomers and park) to try it. He was grins from ear-to-ear and was impressed how well it floated.

(I hit some fresh pow at Timberline at the tail end of May, good times)

For bombing the steep back country, you might want a stiffer board. Maybe a Jones or a Rossignol. These have tapered directional also, not as exaggerated as the Fish.

I haven't gotten to try either yet. This is a time where I'm just jumping in and buying one. I have the Rossi XV on order from a local shop. There are some others to investigate as well. For me, I favor the boards with the serrated edge because I can get better edge bite if I hit an icy area- (higher, wind blown elevations like the top of Bachelor, etc).

As for the pipe, park, groomers, look into a board designed for that arena. I don't do very much park or pipe. But when I do, I pull out one of Lib Tech boards that have so far survived to my liking above others I've had and tried.

There's lots of good technology and boards out there these days. The best advice I can give is to demo as many as you can and find what you personally like best before you lay down your $.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Can't believe I haven't bought a new board since the Ride Timeless. I had a lot of catching up to do with manufacturers and 2014 board models. I'm still unsure which board would be right for me as well as rocker, so I'd love to hear some opinions. Price doesn't matter since I don't buy a board every year anymore, I plan to keep for a good 4 years.

I've been snowboarding for 20 years. Recent casually riding at Mt Hood and Bachelor. I still surf and skate, and when I ride the mountain I'm looking for untracked snow, plowing through trees, steep runs and some back country. Love mid sized jumps and pipe but don't do anything crazy anymore.

I was checking out the Endeavor Clout, Rome Mod Rocker, Yes PYL, Salomon Villain and the 2014 Burton models. I've had so many Burton's though since 1993... Count me out of Capita though, graphics made my eyes explode...yes I'm blind writing this now. Speaking of now, just purchased the NOW Drive bindings, stoked to ride these!

The Salomon Sick Stick changed my life at Mt Bachelor on pow days. It's the closest thing to surfing powder. I grew up at the beach surfing most of my life. Now i surf pow. I don't typically ride it though if there isn't fresh stuff. Josh Dirkson is also is a Sick stick rider. I have a Lib Tech Attack Banana for my groomer days and riding obstacles like I'm skating. The fish is fun in deep stuff, but the lack tail robs me in my turns when I am out on NW chair, all the wind made obstacles are so fun to nail.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A few more candidates to look up....

Winterstick is an interesting looking pow board if you wanted to try something crazy and exotic. My concern is that it might be cumbersome. Pricey for anyone to just buy without being able to demo first.

Prior has a variety of boards and different graphic options you can choose from; they're made on order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts