Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of picking up a 2007 Burton Vapor. $300.
I know it's pretty old, but the Vapors are usually ahead of their time.
Condition is pretty good. Nothing major.
Looking for something to fight some pow in BC during March break, but I live north of Toronto.
Good? Bad?

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Meh. Not for $300. There is so much better out there for that much money.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yeah $300 is nuts for a 2007... Vapor would be decent for our snow, just a little more work than something with a lifted nose.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I ride a Vapor here in Ontario, it's a great board for edge hold, light weight, etc. if you st th bindings back its ok in powder but a non cambered board will be better, and tapered boards float better.

For trips out west I have a Sherlock, I don't get out west often enough to justify a full on pow stick, and the Sherlock does double duty as my soft snow board here in ontario.

I don't think $300 is that far off market if at all. I sold a 2008 Vapor with triad bindings last year in Toronto on craigslist for $600 in one day.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I don't think $300 is that far off market if at all. I sold a 2008 Vapor with triad bindings last year in Toronto on craigslist for $600 in one day.
I figure that during spring sales you can get lots of boards for 50% off. I got my T7 for $500 a couple years ago. Then to sell it used the next year I'd figure half of that again, so $250 for a one year old T7 would be about right. As the years go by that figure should drop. Sounds like somebody really wanted your board!

If it was in REALLY good shape I'd possibly pay $200 for a used 2007 Vapor.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I figure that during spring sales you can get lots of boards for 50% off. I got my T7 for $500 a couple years ago. Then to sell it used the next year I'd figure half of that again, so $250 for a one year old T7 would be about right. As the years go by that figure should drop. Sounds like somebody really wanted your board!

If it was in REALLY good shape I'd possibly pay $200 for a used 2007 Vapor.

Ok, let's split the difference, call it $250 as market for the '07 Vapor.

I agree, brand new stuff that's a season out of date should be 50% off (or maybe 40%). So $1200 new Vapor likely sells the next year for $600-$720, and then drops in value after that.

And don't get me wrong, one of my favorite things to do is call out bogus ask prices on this board.

All that having been said the Vapor is the wrong board for trips out west, it's cambered and non tapered so for what the original poster is looking for it's not the right choice.

However, if you live in the Toronto area and won't hit metal features I think that the vapor is a great choice, handles hard pack and ice really well. So not knowing what else the guy has in his quiver I say he should flip his current board for the vapor, and then get something with a hybrid shape for softer snow days here in Ontario and that is powder capable for trips out west, like the Sherlock.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
All that having been said the Vapor is the wrong board for trips out west, it's cambered and non tapered so for what the original poster is looking for it's not the right choice.

However, if you live in the Toronto area and won't hit metal features I think that the vapor is a great choice, handles hard pack and ice really well. So not knowing what else the guy has in his quiver I say he should flip his current board for the vapor, and then get something with a hybrid shape for softer snow days here in Ontario and that is powder capable for trips out west, like the Sherlock.
I dunno man, I ride the T7 out here a fair bit still. Although it's fairly directional where I think the Vapor is closer to a twin. Some people just like stiff, cambered decks?!? :yahoo:

I guess it also depends on WHERE out west. Rocky mountain snow is very different from west coast snow.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I dunno man, I ride the T7 out here a fair bit still. Although it's fairly directional where I think the Vapor is closer to a twin. Some people just like stiff, cambered decks?!? :yahoo:

I guess it also depends on WHERE out west. Rocky mountain snow is very different from west coast snow.
No doubt personal preference is a lot of it, and there are definitely those that are pretty much camber only in what they prefer.

The other thing that is missing here is a point I made in another thread, which is that unless you're going heli/cat trip, or maybe big into back country even the best places for snow you still are only getting the probability of powder/fresh, so a dedicated powder board for trips may be optimistic.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
The other thing that is missing here is a point I made in another thread, which is that unless you're going heli/cat trip, or maybe big into back country even the best places for snow you still are only getting the probability of powder/fresh, so a dedicated powder board for trips may be optimistic.
Yeah I agree. I'd say the best board for a trip out here would be something that can handle the CHOP! :D Even weeks after a snow fall I can find fresh stuff, but I have to ride through chop to get to it... Something good for all terrains would be ideal instead of focusing on a powder board.

Also, if it did shit powder while somebody was on a trip, they could always rent a powder board.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input!
I currently ride a 2011 Burton White Collection and a Lobster Jib Board for messing around in the park. I guess this board wouldn't give me TOO much more than I already have, and your comments about riding out west ring true.
I think I'll let this one pass by, although I've always got my eyes open for another board!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts