Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we had heard all the hypes around here about the Never Summer snowboards, and decided to buy a Proto CT for me and an Infinity for my wife this year. It turns out that this is one of the WORST decisions we have ever made. We humiliated ourselves by getting these CRAPPY sticks.

The reason is, we will get a mysterious stinging pain in our fingers each time after handling the snowboards without gloves on. The itch lasts and is unbearable. It's just this week that I figured that it's because of those tiny fiberglass splinters. They are so little that it's hard to see, but they cause so much pain. We have never experienced this issue with any other snowboards, or anything else that is made of fiberglass ever. Totally unacceptable.

Guess what, we called the NS warranty department and explained the issue. It seems the only word the NS representative knows is "IMPOSSIBLE". He just kept saying that this was impossible to happen, and he went on and on explaining the process of manufacturing the boards, and how the fiberglass was glued inside that it's impossible for it to cause any problem. He said in his 17 years of industry experience he had never seen something like this from happening. He even tried to call his coworker from the production line to explain the thing to me. OK, cool, but who cares? It's happening right here now!! I'm not calling this number for a lecture of snowboard manufacture. I've had enough lectures to get my f**king engineering degree. The guy just can't offer any help, and he didn't even mention the Return Authorization until I cut him off and asked about it. And after I asked what we can do to solve this problem, his answer was, "run your fingers through the edges to find where the fiberglass is exposed, and use a rag to clean it". Seriously? This is what they mean by their "three year warranty"?

Excellent board and excellent customer service. I guess Never Summer have had enough kids hyping their products so they don't need to worry about the rest of us. But anyways, I've had enough, and this will be the last time I deal with them.

·
Registered
767 Posts
you picked an interesting place to complain about neversummer...

doesnt sound like much of an issue to me, always got to be careful when stroking you stick

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I actually noticed this on one of the NS boards I demoed with the carbonium topsheet. Near the tips where it had been hit by a skier/boarder in the line the material frayed and was exposed, pretty sure it was fiberglass. Didn't really think much of it at the time

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Why aren't you dealing with your shop? On something like this, where a picture isn't going to show anything you should be using the LBS as the mfr rep they are to handle the issue.

I tend to agree with the NS guy though, it would be virtually impossiblefor fibers to be exposed with the only area they could possibly come through is the sidewall. Any exposed fibers on the topsheet would indicate a major mfr flaw that would likely render the boards unrideable. Additionally, assuming this is actually happening the odds of it being both boards is next to impossible. :dunno:

I vote troll :dizzy:

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you picked an interesting place to complain about neversummer...

doesnt sound like much of an issue to me, always got to be careful when stroking you stick
Yes, we bought the sticks because of this place, and that's why I've picked this place to complain.

And this doesn't sound like much of an issue to you probabbly because you have never experienced fiberglass itch in your life. Me neither until just recently.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I tend to agree with the NS guy though, it would be virtually impossiblefor fibers to be exposed with the only area they could possibly come through is the sidewall. Any exposed fibers on the topsheet would indicate a major mfr flaw that would likely render the boards unrideable. Additionally, assuming this is actually happening the odds of it being both boards is next to impossible.
I supposed it was one board out of the two, but couldn't figure out which one is causing the problem though, as the fiberglass is too difficult to track.

Lol. Troll? Think someone from EL sent him?
I vote troll :dizzy:
I'm not trolling. I'm disappointed. But you can stand behind your beliefs and type "troll" under every posts not singing praises for NS. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Interesting. I'm now over 20 days now on the Proto and haven't seen anything like this. I'll keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did the topsheet peel off or something? where is the fiberglass protruding from? I've experienced fiberglass burn before, feels like a million splinters just stuck in wherever it touches and it burns for a while.

Probably best to take it to the store you bought it from and have them run their fingers over it if they don't believe you.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've experienced fiberglass burn before, feels like a million splinters just stuck in wherever it touches and it burns for a while.
At least one member here knows what I'm talking about. I was totally pissed off by the rep's ignorant attitude, and his saying that "run your fingers through the edges to find out where".

The topsheets are intact. We couldn't find where the fiberglass is from. I could only suspect it's from the sidewalls. We couldn't take the sticks to the store. We bought them on-line because we didn't have any local dealers carrying our sizes.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
You need to chill the fuck out bro.

If you cant find it the guys in the factory sure as hell can't either. They've all built up a tolerance to it so if it's not visibly obvious how are they supposed to find it? There are a few ways this could have happened, they're all unlikely, but possible. This is very fixable by the way. If it's coming from the boards guts it'll be somewhere along the sidewall/tip. Put on some rubber gloves and take some 200 grit sand paper and rub it all down. If there is any glass exposed you'll either make it more obvious and just keep sanding there, or the problem will get taken care before you even need to do that. After this just go outside and spray the board down with water top and bottom. Also wear gloves and dispose of all the packaging it came in.

I've had glass itch before, it't not that bad and some pummice soap will clear a good amount of it out.

Snowboards are made by hand by humans. Are we no longer allowed to make mistakes? Or do you just expect everything in your life to be perfect?

Oh and the reason you got "talked down to" by them is probably cause you called with a bitchy attitude making bold demands and assinine claims.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to slide snow against the edges of a snowboard, not your fingers?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
At least one member here knows what I'm talking about. I was totally pissed off by the rep's ignorant attitude, and his saying that "run your fingers through the edges to find out where".

The topsheets are intact. We couldn't find where the fiberglass is from. I could only suspect it's from the sidewalls. We couldn't take the sticks to the store. We bought them on-line because we didn't have any local dealers carrying our sizes.
Just a thought, but if this thing was packaged at the manufacturer, and then shipped to the retailer and then to you, having never seen the light of day, I'd say there's a chance that airborne fiberglass fibers at the factory may have been stuck to the top sheet. I would try washing the topsheet with a mild soap and a moist paper towel. Then pick it up and see if it still does the same thing. The best way to remove fiberglass itch is washing with COLD water. Warm water opens your pores up making it harder to remove the fibers. Pumice would help a ton too. That said, it's only uncomfortable, it's not going to hurt you.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You need to chill the fuck out bro.

Snowboards are made by hand by humans. Are we no longer allowed to make mistakes? Or do you just expect everything in your life to be perfect?

Oh and the reason you got "talked down to" by them is probably cause you called with a bitchy attitude making bold demands and assinine claims.
Well, we are disappointed because we spent our $1200 expecting Never Summer to be a "high end" manufacture delivering "high quality" products and would honor their warranty if anything had gone wrong, while in reality we have to carefully sand out the edges with gloves on and pray it would work. And you are saying you've experienced fiberglass itch before and it's not that bad. If you have experienced it, than you could imagine what it feels like to get that pain every week from that $1200 you've spent.

And I assure you that I called in with a happy Friday morning tongue, expecting them to propose a reasonable solution to the situation. It's the 20 minutes snowboard manufacturing lecture and the "finger-test-and-wipe-it" solution that pissed me off. He keeps saying that's impossible as if I was lying, and offered this ridiculous solution. I took that as an insult, and I was not happy with that.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, we are disappointed because we spent our $1200 expecting Never Summer to be a "high end" manufacture delivering "high quality" products and would honor their warranty if anything had gone wrong, while in reality we have to carefully sand out the edges with gloves on and pray it would work. And you are saying you've experienced fiberglass itch before and it's not that bad. If you have experienced it, than you could imagine what it feels like to get that pain every week from that $1200 you've spent.

And I assure you that I called in with a happy Friday morning tongue, expecting them to propose a reasonable solution to the situation. It's the 20 minutes snowboard manufacturing lecture and the "finger-test-and-wipe-it" solution that pissed me off. He keeps saying that's impossible as if I was lying, and offered this ridiculous solution. I took that as an insult, and I was not happy with that.
Was it Vince, because I've dealt with him and that doesn't sound like him at all. I contacted them when I was being anal about a tiny bit of edge separation and he was cool as fuck with me, even though what I had was not even really an issue. Swear to God he even offered to send me a brand new 2014 model that he hand picked from the pile for me in trade. In the end I didn't take him up on it but I was very impressed by the professionalism. Not saying you're lying or anything, I'm just surprised considering my experience with them on my first NS board, board which I just bought last month.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I'm not really seeing this as a board defect. Their 3 year warranty offers replacement if you board is fucked. Like if it delams. Fiber glass in your hands? I've gotten that from a few places, snowboards included. Nivek and Deacon both have given reasonable answers as to how to solve your problem. I would be surprised if Deacon's theory is dead on.

Also if it is coming from the board guts like Nivek has proposed, then you may actually have a replacement issue. You need to find it though. This is the first time I have seen someone complaining of this on this forum.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just a thought, but if this thing was packaged at the manufacturer, and then shipped to the retailer and then to you, having never seen the light of day, I'd say there's a chance that airborne fiberglass fibers at the factory may have been stuck to the top sheet. I would try washing the topsheet with a mild soap and a moist paper towel. Then pick it up and see if it still does the same thing. The best way to remove fiberglass itch is washing with COLD water. Warm water opens your pores up making it harder to remove the fibers. Pumice would help a ton too. That said, it's only uncomfortable, it's not going to hurt you.
Thanks for the tips. Though I really hope I won't ever need to, I'll try the cold water method the next time.

About the airborne fiberglass; however, I don't think it's going to work. We have had about 10 days on the snowboards and I wipe them thoroughly with a rag each time after getting back to avoid rusting on the edges.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
If your boards are burping fiberglass then you live in an alternate reality.(PERIOD)

I also believe that Deacon and Nivek hit it dead on like Kill said.

If I rub my hands up and down my boards the top sheet nicks or rail jags from rocks will make them BLEED.

Stop rubbing the edge of your fiberglass topsheet and wondering why it feels like fiberglass (seriously? WTF????).

Your assessment of what makes a quality snowboard is fucked, I still think you seem like a troll just because despite all the obvious answers you just wanna wank our internets.

You've been on these boards 10 times and despite their performance you think you got a sub quality product because your hands itch when you rub fiberglass?

Do we need to come hold your dick when you pee?

BTW if you keep these boards they will give you lung cancer. Go play with Jetfalcon.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.