Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime lurker, first time poster here. Looking for some help on picking a board. I appreciate any help sent my way.

2013 Never Summer SL vs 2013 Never Summer Legacy

I am 6 feet tall, 195 lbs. Boot size 12. I ride regular.

After doing some research on the forums it seems like I should go for the Legacy because its basically a wider version of the SL? Is this true?

Am I too heavy/tall/bigfooted for the SL?

Also as far as sizing goes, I'm reading the sizing chart and it looks like I should get a 158 or 161?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
378 Posts
What kind of riding?

Agreed on wide for size 12. I'm a 10, and would feel like a wide was needed if my feet were any larger.

For size, either one. I'm about your size, on a cobra 161. Again, what kind of riding?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I would go 161 at your weight. I ride a 158 SL at 180lbs. The legacy is wider so you could get away with the 158 but the 161 would be better for most conditions imo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input, i really appreciate it.

Im looking for an all mountain board, not really into park riding. ride mostly in southern California so its groomed runs, powder on occasion.

Side question, would you prefer a 2013 never summer legacy or a 2013 lib tech hotknife C3btx?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heritage 159x. I fluctuate up to 205lbs and have been fine on mine - especially in that cali cement!
I've heard that the Heritage is a stiffer board than the SL or Legacy. would that make the Heritage geared more towards advanced-expert riders? I would consider myself to be an intermediate to advanced rider.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm 6'0 200lbs and have a 2010 159 Legacy...pretty sure there isn't a 158 unless they only made it for a year. With your size 12's you'll be fine on the 159, but if you have no interest in park then I would move up to the 161 just to haul more ass on the groomers and float a bit better for the powder days.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've heard that the Heritage is a stiffer board than the SL or Legacy. would that make the Heritage geared more towards advanced-expert riders? I would consider myself to be an intermediate to advanced rider.
I wouldn't say stiffer, just different flex. I tried a 59 legacy last season and it felt dead - I guess they would say it has more dampening.

Everyone I have put on my Heritage has loved it, that includes complete beginners.

In all honesty, only you can figure out what you need for yourself, everyone rides differently, what works for me might not work for you. You really need to go try a bunch of boards out at a resort.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Heritage is probably too much for So Cal mountains. I'm thinking Bear, Summit, and Mountain Low.

Honestly, the SL/Legacy is more than adequate for Socal mountains. And even the occasional trip to Mammoth etc.

Honestly I get bored quickly if just cruising down Bear and Summit. Don't know how long you've been riding but if you don't freestyle up there it gets tiring quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heritage is probably too much for So Cal mountains. I'm thinking Bear, Summit, and Mountain Low.

Honestly, the SL/Legacy is more than adequate for Socal mountains. And even the occasional trip to Mammoth etc.

Honestly I get bored quickly if just cruising down Bear and Summit. Don't know how long you've been riding but if you don't freestyle up there it gets tiring quickly.
haha mountain low ;)

Yeah everyone out here rides freestyle (not much choice), I broke a few bones in my early snowboarding years and just have been too scared to try riding freestyle again.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the input. I think i'll be picking up the Legacy :yahoo:

Any suggestions on good bindings to upgrade to? In the $100-$200 range? Been using my Ride SPI's for a good five years now

·
Registered
132 Posts
Erm, no. Heritage is both stiffer and damper than the SL/Legacy.
Erm, no, that's what I felt under my feet, not what I read in a marketing brochure.

The heritage is WAY snappier than the SL, anyone that says different hasn't got the ability to push on it coming out of a turn.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Erm, no, that's what I felt under my feet, not what I read in a marketing brochure.

The heritage is WAY snappier than the SL, anyone that says different hasn't got the ability to push on it coming out of a turn.
Sure, whatever you say... :WTF:

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
two cents on NS

I rode a 162 Heritage for ten days this past season. I'm 6-1, 180. I call the board my El Dorado, it's at least 2cm too large. The board is very stable on approach and gives a landing that is more jarring than camber, but still quite absorbent. I have a 155 Cobra as well, the one trait that they both have in common is that every cut is a potential game-changer, they both hold an edge like no other and are capable of bringing you to a dead stop at surprisingly high rates of speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts