Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive finally nailed my board selection down to one of these boards in a 148 cm.
i can get the team series for roughly $75 less and im trying to see if the superpark is worth the extra money.

its gonna be my only board and will be used on vermont mountains in the park, groomers, and whatever pow we get this year.

as of now im leaning towards the team series because its a bit less $, i like the graphic more, and im under the impression it will be a bit more playful which will be good for jibs and butters.

can anyone tell me if the benefits of having ctx over atx for east coast riding? ive never ridden a hybrid camber so im really clueless here
also how different are the flexes of these boards? ive seen them both compared to a never summer evo, is that correct?

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I like CTX but do not ride a lot of park, my son has a full variety of all the smokin boards.... He likes the atx the best in park but prefers the CTX as an all around board. Both ride great in all around conditions but CTX floats better in soft snow and his CTX boards are stiffer for his big mountain riding and jumping which is why I also ride CTX only in the stiffer board models.

Super park will be a stiff advanced park riders board the is great in pipe, med-lrg jumps and great all over the mountain but will be weaker in anything else you wanna really be able to flex your board on unless your a big strong rider.

Team series is a little softer, prolly a 5/10 in stiffness. Great in all the park, sm/med jumps, press able by the average rider and ok(doesn't excel) at powder and big mtn lines.

Also, east coast equals ice in my mind, I like CTX in ice with the magtrac as it seems to maintain a better edge hold once it's weighted....

We have these boards and ride them. We also have, hooligans(sons park board of choice), buck fertons(sons big mountain comp board and park jump training board), kt22s(my favorite every day board but will probably use the awesometrical this season), best buds(a regraphiced super park), PYT and vixen that my wife rides, pinner that I will ride on pow days next season.... Probably a few more I'm missing too.

Be very careful when ordering boards too, they are available In Alternate bases. Super park is available in traditional camber as is some team series boards. Make sure they send you what you order unless your buying direct from smoking, retailers fuck this p a lot....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like CTX but do not ride a lot of park, my son has a full variety of all the smokin boards.... He likes the atx the best in park but prefers the CTX as an all around board. Both ride great in all around conditions but CTX floats better in soft snow and his CTX boards are stiffer for his big mountain riding and jumping which is why I also ride CTX only in the stiffer board models.

Super park will be a stiff advanced park riders board the is great in pipe, med-lrg jumps and great all over the mountain but will be weaker in anything else you wanna really be able to flex your board on unless your a big strong rider.

Team series is a little softer, prolly a 5/10 in stiffness. Great in all the park, sm/med jumps, press able by the average rider and ok(doesn't excel) at powder and big mtn lines.

Also, east coast equals ice in my mind, I like CTX in ice with the magtrac as it seems to maintain a better edge hold once it's weighted....

We have these boards and ride them. We also have, hooligans(sons park board of choice), buck fertons(sons big mountain comp board and park jump training board), kt22s(my favorite every day board but will probably use the awesometrical this season), best buds(a regraphiced super park), PYT and vixen that my wife rides, pinner that I will ride on pow days next season.... Probably a few more I'm missing too.

Be very careful when ordering boards too, they are available In Alternate bases. Super park is available in traditional camber as is some team series boards. Make sure they send you what you order unless your buying direct from smoking, retailers fuck this p a lot....
wow what great insight!
you guys really like smokin i guess haba
how does your son like the hooligan / mip if hes ridden it? do they hold up on groomers?

seems like youre saying the team series cant rival the superpark overall? is the team series washy on ice? im not terribly worried about backcountry riding for it but i would like to be able to take it into the glades at killington and the black diamond trails there. when you say big mountain where/what exactly are you speaking about? i get that ctx will be better in pow because of the rocker tips that was something i assumed from the beginning but if atx is passable for few runs itll be fine, after all i most likely wont ever be dealing with waist deep pow.

to make it simple will the team series be good enough to keep up with my skier friends on groomers and ocassional glades? or is it imperative that i go for ctx?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
For what your going to be riding the team series should be great.

We have known the owner for a few years now, maybe 7 years. We stop in and visit when we canto say hello and hung out at hood this season too, next year we will be sharing a house up there with them for a month. Cool crew of guys that board as much as possible and make boards by hand. Some of Their pro riders that live in the area work in the factory when not competing.

The mip is stiffer than the hooligan even though they both rate on the same scale on paper(if I remember right).

Big mtn is a discipline of riding 40+ degree slopes dropping cliffs and using the natural terrain to make your way down as smooth as possible while throwing whatever tricks you can.

Keeping up eith skiers is another thing, it has taken me a couple years of riding ALOT to keep up with my advanced skier friends. Skis are just faster...... If you have weight it makes it easier though, on an Icey day I don't even try to keep up, too dangerous. And even on the longest runs they are only like 15 seconds ahead of me on the bad days. Pow days I will beat them ALOT of time cause I'm so heavy I get a shitload of speed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
youve been a great help man i really appreciate it, its hard to get that around here without an accompanied attitude sometimes it seems.

jay is awesome and its good to hear that the riders help in the building process. im a bit jelly that you guys are gonna be riding with them but live it up.

and for the skier part all i meant is that i dont want to have them have to wait for an excessive amount of time while i leaisurely cruise down because im afraid of washing. i know skis are much faster as i used to ski before i snowboarded.

anyways thanks again, youve been a huge help

·
Registered
751 Posts
Woah, so tempting. Argo have you ridden Burton's Flying V hybrid rocker? Is ctx similar? Can you feel the bend between your feet?

Debating on the super park ctx

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Yeah. Smokin has a less pronounced profile than the V. It has all the nice atributes of a V but i have never gotten the washout on hard pack like I would get with a V.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
this fucking sucks. i ended up buying a NS evo instead because of money issues.
now im gonna have to return it and pray the superpark ltd doesnt sell out. please dont tell anyone about this sale lol

perhaps its not worth it? id be roughly saving $100 after shipping, do you have any opinions on this?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
this fucking sucks. i ended up buying a NS evo instead because of money issues.
now im gonna have to return it and pray the superpark ltd doesnt sell out. please dont tell anyone about this sale lol

perhaps its not worth it? id be roughly saving $100 after shipping, do you have any opinions on this?

NS is a good board too. I have just liked smokin and ridden them for years. The owner and his chick that helps manage everything are awesome and a true snowboarders company. NS and mervyn are the only other two companies I have liked both the company and the product.

I would get the smokin though, why not save $100 and get a great board.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would get the smokin though, why not save $100 and get a great board.
thats my thinking, both are handmade so the build quality is there just like NS but truthfully i think i like the evo as it will be a more versatile board for what i want anyways, plus the matte topsheet is awesome.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just bought a Smokin Superpark MTX from the website. For 200 bucks I figured I'd try it and if I didn't like it I could resell it for that much. Anyone have any reviews on it? lol I literally looked at the website, found the only one that fit my size, said fuck it and bought it without reading any reviews. From the way the description read it sounded like a more expensive Lib Tech Skate Banana.

·
Registered
751 Posts

How's the vixen? I got it for the wife to handle everything from deep pow to hardpack

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
It is an aggressive all mountain free ride women's board. My wife likes it but finds it too stiff as she does not ride and charge as much as we do. Great in pow and holds and edge well on hard pack. It wants to go fast though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah. Smokin has a less pronounced profile than the V. It has all the nice atributes of a V but i have never gotten the washout on hard pack like I would get with a V.
I know this thread was a while back, but Argo if you dont mind looking at my recent post and giving me your opinion id REALLLLLY appreciate it bro. you seem really knowledgable with the smokin company. Thanks man

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Not to jack the thread - but Argo I was looking at Smokin boards as my next once. Weighing the differences between the PYT, Vixen, and Fawesym. I'm 105lbs and ride all mountain freestyle and cruising groomers. No huge jumps or drops, no deep powder, east coast conditions, not bombing down any hills. I've found typical mid-flex boards a bit difficult to flex when playing around on the slopes and natural features/ground stuff. It's always a balancing act for me to find a board that flexes nicely while also staying stable while going down groomers (keep in mind I'm not hitting 50mph here...just normal, everyday speeds). Which of those would be my best bet? I usually ride a 140 or look for an EE of around 110-113. You seem to be the guy to ask. :D There was actually a cheap, new 139 PYT on Geartrade but i didn't have the money to jump on it. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts