Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO what are the main changes from the Proto CT to the Proto HD? I've read the specs, but im not very fluent with my snowboard jargon.

I love the idea of the proto Ct's flex and edge hold, but from what I'm seeing the HD is getting stiffened?

Has anyone rode the HD yet to give some feedback?

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The break in period is pretty short. The flex out of the package isn't its true flex. After 10-15 days it softens up and then stays pretty consistent from there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The break in period is pretty short. The flex out of the package isn't its true flex. After 10-15 days it softens up and then stays pretty consistent from there.
Thanks for the feedback guys! I highly respect y'alls opinions.

Extremo,

You have answered every question I have had on this forum so far, and you seem to be more of my style of rider. I find myself spending just about all my time in the park at my small local mountains now adays, and outside the park is not to demanding since I am on the east coast. I really like both the 2014 proto and Evo. I know the evo can handle anything my local mountain can offer, and the playful flex will be great for the days when conditions just suck. My only factor left to take into account is my trips about once a year to the bigger mountains west or north. Will the evo be able to handle terrain outside the park in these areas well? If not I think the proto may be the choice?

Ultimately, I have a ride dh2 now. I love this board, but I was hoping it would be a little softer. In my 100% perfect world the proto will be just that, a softer version of my dh2. However, reality says it is probably about the same and maybe I should go with the evo with the new tech that seems like it will be much better outside the park than this years model?

Long message, sorry bout that, but you guys are the best! I would love to hear yalls opinion even though you may not have riden the new evo yet. I would love to see a comparison thread once you guys have rode both! Thanks a ton!:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The Evo is extremely soft after it breaks in. I personally don't think it has any place outside the park, or if you're a heavier rider, outside of jibbing.

The Proto is softer than the DH2. I'd say the DH2 is a 7 on the stiffness scale and the Proto is a closer to a 5 after it breaks in, which is fairly quick. The Evo is more like a 3 after break in. And with detuned park edges, you don't have the benefits of the variogrip to give you that added control you need on other parts of the mountain.

If you're a lighter rider, and looking for a really soft jib board, you could probably get away with riding the Evo outside of the parks, but if you want something more versatile, I'd go with the Proto.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Evo is extremely soft after it breaks in. I personally don't think it has any place outside the park, or if you're a heavier rider, outside of jibbing.

The Proto is softer than the DH2. I'd say the DH2 is a 7 on the stiffness scale and the Proto is a closer to a 5 after it breaks in, which is fairly quick. The Evo is more like a 3 after break in. And with detuned park edges, you don't have the benefits of the variogrip to give you that added control you need on other parts of the mountain.

If you're a lighter rider, and looking for a really soft jib board, you could probably get away with riding the Evo outside of the parks, but if you want something more versatile, I'd go with the Proto.
I get to use the new proto!!! I love you guys! No Homo:yahoo:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey here is a follow up question, I've noticed many of you guys are loving the new proto hd. So can I get like a list of bindings that the lot of you guys use on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys would the proto hd 157 be suitable for a beginner to intermediate level rider.
I'm 5'8" 180lbs. Looking to ride the whole mountain and progress into freestyle as I get better at riding. I'll be mostly riding in Australia...not much pow.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hey here is a follow up question, I've noticed many of you guys are loving the new proto hd. So can I get like a list of bindings that the lot of you guys use on it?
I've been riding the Rome 390 Boss on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Hey guys would the proto hd 157 be suitable for a beginner to intermediate level rider.
I'm 5'8" 180lbs. Looking to ride the whole mountain and progress into freestyle as I get better at riding. I'll be mostly riding in Australia...not much pow.
If there is not a lot of pow you could go a size smaller (which I would do), but the 157 will work. I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs riding the 2013 Proto 157 as an all mountain board and it still floats OK in the powder, but I don't use it as my powder day board. The 2014 Proto HD should be a bit more damp, so you comfortably size down at 180 lbs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm 5'10" 175lbs give or take and have a '12 Proto 154. I pretty much agree with BigmountainVMD's advice. I'm not sure what Australia's mountains are like but I'm happy with the 154 performance about on any terrain. I've also survived a decent powder day with it too by accident. You'd be ok with either size to be honest if thats the board you're looking to get. The 154 may just be a little easier and quicker to turn and probably better for you down the line when you get into freestyle imo. FWIW I do also have a 158 heritage that hasn't seen much time on the snow since I got the proto.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I"d recommend the 154 as well for you. I'm 6' 185 and ride the 157, but I find it's too much board at times, especially in the park. The effective edge is 124 and when you take it into the park you can really feel it ride like a longer board. I think the 157 rides more like a 160, which is great for added stability on he mountain but too much when it comes to spinning and jibbing.

If I were to get another, it'd be the 154. The long effective edge and extended camber into the blunted tips allows you to really size down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm an intermediate rider. 170 cm tall (5'7?), 75kg (165 lbs?) heavy, size 9 Burton ruler boots.

Would the 154 Proto HD be a good size? I ride in Australia, so lots of ice but I also take yearly trips to Japan/North America.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Holy crap! I've been obsessing about the 2014 Evo vs Proto for next year, and wondering about sizing and bindings and such. This thread is just too perfect! Can't be coincidence -- must be space aliens :laugh:

So, where do I send the cheque?

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
Maybe I am crazy. But I am a little disappointed to hear it is stiffer now. I really like to play around, more freestyle. The more time I spend on the Evo, the more I wish I had a board with the pop of the Proto and dampness, but in a more flexible package.

Because the conditions have been kind of crappy in Alberta, the moguls were the best snow quality (less people riding them). I took the Evo through them for the first time, I just ripped through there. Passed a bunch of decent skiers. In some ways it is like Snowwolf was talking about with boots, the stiffness somewhat restricts the feedback. Having it more flexible, let me bend the board and steer faster.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my proto. For some odd reason just seems like I am favouring more flexible boards for big mountain riding. I haven't touched my Cobra all season. Bizarre :S

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy crap! I've been obsessing about the 2014 Evo vs Proto for next year, and wondering about sizing and bindings and such. This thread is just too perfect! Can't be coincidence -- must be space aliens :laugh:

So, where do I send the cheque?
Donutz,

For sizing of the new proto check out zuzupopo.com, they have the 2013-14 neversummer catalogue (idk how to spell lol).

As for bindings, I would love to know what you guys (NS Design team) are using on the protos and evos yall have!:thumbsup:

P.S. can anyone help me find the NS Design teams threads? I cannot seem to locate them anywhere?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Donutz, next time you're in the states to ride, hit me up and you can take a spin on my 160 Proto HDX. It might be a tad wide for you, but you'll still get the idea. Aiidoneus, the Proto softens up quite a bit after it breaks in. It also doesn't take to long to break in. As for bindings, I started out on my Union Flites that I had, but once I got my Rome 390 Boss bindings, they have been my go-to bindings for my Proto and my Heritage. Oh, and a4H Saint, I'm pretty sure you won't find those threads, as I believe they are gone now. What you will find instead though is the reviews that the members will post up eventually. And those should have what bindings they were riding them with included. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Donutz,

For sizing of the new proto check out zuzupopo.com, they have the 2013-14 neversummer catalogue (idk how to spell lol).

As for bindings, I would love to know what you guys (NS Design team) are using on the protos and evos yall have!:thumbsup:

P.S. can anyone help me find the NS Design teams threads? I cannot seem to locate them anywhere?:dunno:
i have a 158 hdx with 390 boss l/xl and kaiju size 12.5

there is no more NS Design teams thread, untortunately...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm an intermediate rider. 170 cm tall (5'7?), 75kg (165 lbs?) heavy, size 9 Burton ruler boots.

Would the 154 Proto HD be a good size? I ride in Australia, so lots of ice but I also take yearly trips to Japan/North America.
You should be fine. Protos are pretty popular in Aus. Surprising considering that until last season only one store in the country sold them.

Buy online though. When they are released overseas they should be around the $550 mark, so probably $650 shipped. Or you would walk into a store here and pay $850. They aren't flexible on the pricing either.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Donutz, next time you're in the states to ride, hit me up and you can take a spin on my 160 Proto HDX. It might be a tad wide for you, but you'll still get the idea. Aiidoneus, the Proto softens up quite a bit after it breaks in. It also doesn't take to long to break in. As for bindings, I started out on my Union Flites that I had, but once I got my Rome 390 Boss bindings, they have been my go-to bindings for my Proto and my Heritage. Oh, and a4H Saint, I'm pretty sure you won't find those threads, as I believe they are gone now. What you will find instead though is the reviews that the members will post up eventually. And those should have what bindings they were riding them with included. :)
You know, just saying, Donutz may not be the only one wanting to test ride your new HD...? Is that an open invitation :yahoo: lol.

Not to get off topic but why are the Design team reviews gone? That was quite fast...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You know, just saying, Donutz may not be the only one wanting to test ride your new HD...? Is that an open invitation :yahoo: lol.

Not to get off topic but why are the Design team reviews gone? That was quite fast...
You venture out west to WA and I'll let you take spin on it. :) As for the reviews being gone, they're not. Just the threads about the Design Team. The reviews will still be showing up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts