Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excerpted from my review originally here.

Size: 157cm (2014) 160cm (2013)
Shape: Twin shape with the Flying-V profile, overall rocker with camber zones underfoot
Bindings: Burton Cartel
Stats: 6′ 210 lbs stance at ~24″ regs, 15/-15
Conditions: Vail, CO bluebird skies, mid-20′s with plenty of leftover snow from the previous day’s dump

Flex: Overall this felt on the more playful side of all-mountain flex but it’s stiff where it matters for a board designed to slay powder. Directional flex stiffens up through the tail as you’d expect. THere’s some torsional give to it which is nice.

Handling: The shape and sidecut of this board really allow it to ride longer than it is, while 157 would not have been my first choice for powder it was plenty capable in the side pow, leftovers, and corduroy. Pretty deep sidecut on the Sherlock lets the board lay in to a carve and even quick, short-radius turns are pretty easy, but it’s an aggressive sidecut at first might take some getting used to it. There’s enough dampening to smooth out the chatter and the tips aren’t going to be flapping in the breeze but it’s lively but stable.

On a side note: I much preferred the ride with my Now IPOs than with the Cartels they gave me.

Ollie/Pop: The Sherlock is no exception to the rule that Burton snowboards usually deliver in the “pop” department. This one has great pop no matter which side of the plate you’re swinging from. Slightly stiffer tail as expected but the nose is plenty responsive for nollies, too. Even though the Sherlock is a little softer the stiffer tail means you shouldn’t have to worry about folding on jumps.

Jibs/Playfulness: Wouldn’t be my first choice for a park/jib board but it’s not like you can’t. The Sherlock has a pretty mellow flex and even the slightly stiffer tail isn’t going to prevent you from presses, butters and other flat-land shenanigans.

Overall: Well I went home and bought one so I think it’s pretty good. Really if you’re looking for a powder-oriented A/M board that doesn’t feel like a powder board when you’re cruising corduroy, this would be a great choice. It’s fast & stable, consistent pop and just a fun board to ride anywhere, and while it’s at home on the groomers it really excels in the deeper stuff.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
AT 6'4" / 210 you didn't feel like that board was too short?

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AT 6'4" / 210 you didn't feel like that board was too short?
I'm only 6' :D

I wanted a 160 and that's the size I ended up buying, but at the demo tent they threw me on the 157. I think it was the biggest demo they had in stock, because I was there first thing in the AM. The rep was about my size maybe a little bigger and he was swearing up and down about how you can really go a few cm's shorter with most boards now, and that the 57 is what he rides (of course maybe that's what he tells everyone, but I didn't get the impression he was BS'ing me). Honestly the size didn't really bother me, I'm used to riding shorter boards in the 157/158 range anyways. With the flying v camber and the sidecut as deep as it is, it really does ride like a longer board. For a powder-oriented board, though, you're right, I would not have bought the 157 size :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wasn't that last year's Sherlock you were riding at Crystal that day I met up with you guys?

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feel any different than last years Sherlock (if you rode that one)?
I rode them in pretty different conditions but I don't think so. Reviewing the spec sheets it doesn't look like anything major has changed although they could have made some minor tweaks here & there. The '14 I rode almost entirely in powder. The '13 on the contrary back in MI it was a lot of hardpack/groomers, as well as one day at Vail that was basically a sloppy seconds day, it had snowed about 6" the previous day when we were riding Breck.

trapper said:
Wasn't that last year's Sherlock you were riding at Crystal that day I met up with you guys?
Yes you saw me on the 160cm, it was the 2013 blem that I got for a ridiculous price I think it was like $225 shipped. After I demo'd the '14 I couldn't pass it up.

I say this every year, but THIS will be the year I don't buy any new gear. :p

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I say this every year, but THIS will be the year I don't buy any new gear. :p
Yea right. I said that too and I've already got a pair of pants and a jacket on the way...

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea right. I said that too and I've already got a pair of pants and a jacket on the way...
Last year I ended up with a new jacket, two new pair of pants (one of which will be warrantied this year), new boots (which I just received another pair from warranty) and two new snowboards, and a new helmet.

So, this year I have all new-ish outerwear, brand new boots, and two almost-new snowboards. I really need to hold myself to it this time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for review. Do you think the sherlock has more rocker in it than the Custom flying V? Both are flying V's but I was told by a friend the Sherlock has a lot more rocker. thx

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Always thought that the Custom FV had more rocker than any of Burton's other boards, even though it's allegedly the same. One of their reps once told Leo/confirmed that it has a more pronounced rocker. This seems to be borne out by several people's observations if you read a few reviews of the CFV...

To be honest though it has been about 2 years since I rode a Custom or even held one in my hand. I don't *think* it's more pronounced than the CFV, but I'm really only guessing at this point.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Every board is a give and take. However, the Barracuda is one of those decks that is weighted very heavily in one direction.

Powder

Yes, like all boards it will ride groomers, but that is not its forte.

The Barracuda should only be let out to play when the door to the white room is open. :yahoo:

Until then, let it rest quietly on the rack.

·
Registered
833 Posts
What percent pow vs groomers? In reality not your dream season.
This would be board #2 in an emerging quiver. Tahoe is my local mountain so depending on mother nature we see a reasonable amount of powder days throughout the season. I also intend to travel a little up to whistler and maybe over to Utah or Colorado this year. I need a 2nd board that will accompany my all mountain twin (Yes great beauties board 2012). It would be used for in-resort powder days and obviously would also need to be competent on tracked out groomers too. Something I could ride all day if I wanted from fresh powder in the morning to tracked out hardpack at the end of the day etc.

These 3 from Burton seem appropriate. My preference is also something reasonably stiff / med stiff, not a soft board. I'm about 190-200lbs. Looking at something around 161. Also if Burton have mellowed out the flying v rocker between the bindings this year then all the better. Do not like an upside down fruit bowl between bindings. Hate that actually.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts