Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some insight and others opinions on which is a better board and why? Thanks for any input

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Kinda beating this topic to death aren't you?
Second thread on this from you in the past day?

Closest brand to brand comparison here would be LT TRS vs. NS Proto.
The TRice is a stiffer, more aggressive version of the TRS in my opinion (I have both). Also, the TRice with its wider waist will float better in powder than the other two.

Finally, I have never had a delamination problem with my Lib Tech boards.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I love Never Summer! hands down

But Lib tech is my second favorite. The only problem I had with my lib tech was the board started to separate where the metal edge ended and people in line hitting my board started breaking off the tip and tail top sheet. But it rode like a dream and was lighter then my NS. But the added weight didn't affect my riding at all, if anything it made my ride smoother and stronger and the top sheet on the NS is indestructible.

But I will not talk bad about Lib Tech because theyre boards are awesome, no joke.

My 2014 proto hd just came in the mail. OMG I cant wait to ride it.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love Never Summer! hands down

But Lib tech is my second favorite. The only problem I had with my lib tech was the board started to separate where the metal edge ended and people in line hitting my board started breaking off the tip and tail top sheet. But it rode like a dream and was lighter then my NS. But the added weight didn't affect my riding at all, if anything it made my ride smoother and stronger and the top sheet on the NS is indestructible.

But I will not talk bad about Lib Tech because theyre boards are awesome, no joke.

My 2014 proto hd just came in the mail. OMG I cant wait to ride it.
Yea that's exactly what I'm worried about, the lift lines here in Germany are a nightmare full of skiers all trying to push their way to the front and bashing at my board ends. My 2013 Salomon Villain held up to it fairly well but that has a much more durable top sheet full of toxic chemicals that lib tech doesn't use, I'm worried it will end up really chewing up the ends with no metal at the tips and a softer top sheet. The mervin review forums all make it sound like it is extremely common a problem. How does the NS proto fair?

·
Premium Member
300 Posts

The TRice is a stiffer, more aggressive version of the TRS in my opinion (I have both). Also, the TRice with its wider waist will float better in powder than the other two.

Agreed. I'm still wondering why we're so concerned about a top sheet...which serves an aesthetic purpose. It's gonna get beat up and months down the road of riding, you won't even give a rip. I get it...especially a new board. It's like getting a new pair of shoes and having OCD with keeping them clean. But eventually, it all wears off.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Agreed. I'm still wondering why we're so concerned about a top sheet...which serves an aesthetic purpose. It's gonna get beat up and months down the road of riding, you won't even give a rip. I get it...especially a new board. It's like getting a new pair of shoes and having OCD with keeping them clean. But eventually, it all wears off.
If you love your board as much as I do and pay $550 for it you don't wanna see it get chipped up and damaged! Never summer didn't chip at all. just a little shave marks but no chips

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Yea that's exactly what I'm worried about, the lift lines here in Germany are a nightmare full of skiers all trying to push their way to the front and bashing at my board ends. My 2013 Salomon Villain held up to it fairly well but that has a much more durable top sheet full of toxic chemicals that lib tech doesn't use, I'm worried it will end up really chewing up the ends with no metal at the tips and a softer top sheet. The mervin review forums all make it sound like it is extremely common a problem. How does the NS proto fair?
NO joking at all! My Never summer got hit everytime in line and riding trees and rocks! The board is a beast! Not a single chip at all! It has a couple of scraps but that is from the edeges of skis and boards scratching it (scratches only). And I believe the stronge top sheet gives it more pop!

The proto hd has a carbonium top sheet which is even stronger then the other models!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NO joking at all! My Never summer got hit everytime in line and riding trees and rocks! The board is a beast! Not a single chip at all! It has a couple of scraps but that is from the edeges of skis and boards scratching it (scratches only). And I believe the stronge top sheet gives it more pop!

The proto hd has a carbonium top sheet which is even stronger then the other models!
Curious to know if you've ridden a T.Rice pro and if you have how would you compare it to the Proto HD

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
Already pretty much answered that. The Pro is hardly different than the normal Rice. The HD is going to be a bit looser than the normal Proto. Its got more rocker less camber.

Either way I think they're both overpriced. But if you've already ordered one just ride it till it dies and replace.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
As discussed in some other threads, all top sheets will take a beating. It is what they are supposed to do - if the board does not have some battle scars then it has not been used properly :)

Lib and NS top sheets suffer in different ways: Lib top sheets are softer and tend to 'peel' a little when cut (not to the core, just on the surface). In contrast NS carbonium top sheets are harder but brittle, so they chip a lot more at the edge of the top sheet. I ride both and this is a pretty consistent difference.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Curious to know if you've ridden a T.Rice pro and if you have how would you compare it to the Proto HD
I have not rode the pro. So I can not give you a hands on comparison but the friends I know that have say its very powerful and not as playful as other boards they own. I would say that the Travis Rice Pro is what you'd take on some serious terrain and deep snow, and the proto would better for playing around on groomers and getting air off hips and kickers. I'd like to hear someone's opinion on this as well.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Id also like to hear from someone who has ridden both. I think ill stick with my order of the T.Rice Pro HP 161.5 and maybe order up a Proto HDX 160 as well, give em both some riding time this coming season

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The HD is going to be a bit looser than the normal Proto. Its got more rocker less camber.
Not intending to argue here, just for the sake of correct information, the 2014 Proto HD in my board rack has less rocker than the 2012 Proto CT that I also owned and rode last season.

Side by side the difference was clear as day.

On the 2014 HD the camber zone ends earlier after the inserts, but the height of the camber zone is no lower than the 2012 proto CT.

The 2012 was more playful, the 2014 carves a little better, more pop too.

For my personal tastes the camber zones could be boosted up a bit more, but that applies to both models, I don't think the HD has a looser feel than the 2012 CT.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Already pretty much answered that. The Pro is hardly different than the normal Rice. The HD is going to be a bit looser than the normal Proto. Its got more rocker less camber.

Either way I think they're both overpriced. But if you've already ordered one just ride it till it dies and replace.
Is that true? I thought I've read the HD has a mellower rocker and the camber zones stretched out a little bit. Not positive though. Everyone will look at the same thing and see two different things.

That said, holy smokes Proto vs. Trice, two different boards. The Trice is a manly board. Big Mountain freestyle IMO. I rode one, but it was oversized for me (156 or 157 I forget).

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that true? I thought I've read the HD has a mellower rocker and the camber zones stretched out a little bit. Not positive though. Everyone will look at the same thing and see two different things.

That said, holy smokes Proto vs. Trice, two different boards. The Trice is a manly board. Big Mountain freestyle IMO. I rode one, but it was oversized for me (156 or 157 I forget).
With a 161.5 I think i'll still be riding short for my body type. Im fairly big at 230lb, 6'2", and size 12 shoes. Although last season I was riding a 2013 Salomon Villain 155W and it was tons of fun but didn't have enough effective edge for my big ass. I decided i'll be picking up both of a 161.5 T.Rice Pro HP and a 160 Never Summer Proto HDX

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well fuck that's one way to solve a dilemna
Yea that's what I figured too, may as well be that person who later can say yea I own both and this is what I think, and ill get good use in both im sure. Hopefully I don't have any topsheet problems with the T.Rice as the graphics are pretty damn awesome in my opinion for 2014.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
I think you'll find they are two different boards and you'll like both for different purposes.
Make sure you come back with your impressions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts