Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thinking about going with some Union Atlas's with my new pow board. Anybody have any experience or knowledge of them, especially with the 2014's coming out. Trying not to justify buying the 2014's for $240 if I can get the 2013's for $160-$170. Looks from the eye that colorways are the only difference versus increased functionality from the previous years model.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
They're claiming a new toe strap design but from what I see it's the same one that is on last year's Atlas. But the new Force strap is noticably different. Maybe the Atlas will be coming with that one. They also fixed the toe ratchet. But essentially they're the same binding.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nike Vapens, size 10...I will most likely go with the L/XL since Nike boots are bulky. I think with the M/L, I will hardly have any ratchet and my feet will feel squeezed.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
See if you can get your boot in some. If I had anything left at the shop I'd let you know, but you have to look at the heel width. If you don't almost max out the heel width of the binding with your boot you'll sink into that void under the binding heel. Happened to me when I rode them and it was awful. Completely robs you of your edge transition quickness.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See if you can get your boot in some. If I had anything left at the shop I'd let you know, but you have to look at the heel width. If you don't almost max out the heel width of the binding with your boot you'll sink into that void under the binding heel. Happened to me when I rode them and it was awful. Completely robs you of your edge transition quickness.
I'm gonna stop by a shop and size up. I usually adjust my bindings anyway...footbed, straps even with your boot, highbacks parallel with board edge, etc.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I'm gonna stop by a shop and size up. I usually adjust my bindings anyway...footbed, straps even with your boot, highbacks parallel with board edge, etc.
It's not something you can adjust. If your boot isn't wider than the foam pod back there it just isn't going to fit right. This is actually one of those design things from Union I do not understand. Just fill the damn thing in.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adjustment as far as performance instead of fit. Yeah, Ill check it out. Thanks man

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nike Vapens, size 10...I will most likely go with the L/XL since Nike boots are bulky. I think with the M/L, I will hardly have any ratchet and my feet will feel squeezed.
Go M/L.

The Atlas base tray is longer than the Force/Contract trays. I wear 10.5 Kaijus, and could fit into both M/L and L/XL Force/Contacts, and I actually preferred riding the L/XL sizes, but the L/XL Atlas' were way too big and overhung on my board, whereas the medium is perfect. Especially with a size 10 Vapen (which isn't bulky at all), you'll be swimming in the larger model.

New buckles/ratchets and toe straps on the 2014s, and they've filled in the heel indent at the back of the base plate since it started to sag after heavy usage. If that, plus the new colorways are worth it to you, then splurge with the extra money. Otherwise the 2013s work just fine.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Hmmm. I'm not sure about that.

Do you think airbags in boots also rob you of transition quickness? Maybe you do, but I haven't personally felt this.

It is designed the way it is for added cushion. It's a valid point though, and one I'll look in to.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts

Do you think airbags in boots also rob you of transition quickness? Maybe you do, but I haven't personally felt this.

It is designed the way it is for added cushion. It's a valid point though, and one I'll look in to.
He's been making this stupid fucking claim ever since they came out. If he'd ever actually ridden one he'd know how stupid this sounds. The boot rests on the binding plate after it compresses the shock pad. For what he's claiming to actually happen a boot sould have to be less than 2 inches wide. Dude should give it up already.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts

It's what I felt when I rode them. With airbags the volume of air is contained. It rebounds. Once compressed the open cavity in the Atlas frame stays compressed until you physically lift off of it. You could achieve a very similar level of cushion with a blown light foam in place of the air cavity and then you'd also get rebound.

And for the record, I think the Flite Pro has promise to be the best binding Union has ever made and quite possibly one of the better if not the best binding under $180 on the market. I want to ride them.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
He's been making this stupid fucking claim ever since they came out. If he'd ever actually ridden one he'd know how stupid this sounds. The boot rests on the binding plate after it compresses the shock pad. For what he's claiming to actually happen a boot sould have to be less than 2 inches wide. Dude should give it up already.
Should I dig up those photos of a Lashed with one side sunk into the pocket?

Not to mention there was someone in November posting about this issue WITH PICTURES. http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/51122-union-atlas-heel-cushion-how-its.html

If you haven't noticed I've changed my attitude about Union, and I don't go around bitching at anyone that brings up what might be a legitimate issue. You are the only one being hostile at this point, and if we have another interwebz debacle it'll be your fault. I did ride the binding. It felt like a bit of a softer Force with more lateral give and a highback with a little more torsional give.

What I was told at SIA was the Rice is the same frame, but with the pigmentless carbon nylon and a filled in heel pocket. Weird that being this was his binding of choice and he used to ride the Atlas he chose to fill that in. Or whoever I talked to at SIA didn't know what they were talking about or the binding I got a photo of was wrong.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Moot point considering the issue is fixed for the 2014 models.

Not that I ever noticed/cared enough about the "edge transition quickness", but the sagging over heavy usage was an issue experienced by the team riders, me, and numerous of my friends. Enough people for Johan and the rest of the guys to listen to the criticism and fix it for this year's model. I know the sample bindings at the demos earlier this year still had the void, but the production models will have them filled in.

And I agree with Nivek, that Flite Pro is going to be a favorite for retailers and consumers alike. Solid binding at an amazing price.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Should I dig up those photos of a Lashed with one side sunk into the pocket?

Not to mention there was someone in November posting about this issue WITH PICTURES. http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/51122-union-atlas-heel-cushion-how-its.html

If you haven't noticed I've changed my attitude about Union, and I don't go around bitching at anyone that brings up what might be a legitimate issue. You are the only one being hostile at this point, and if we have another interwebz debacle it'll be your fault. I did ride the binding. It felt like a bit of a softer Force with more lateral give and a highback with a little more torsional give.

What I was told at SIA was the Rice is the same frame, but with the pigmentless carbon nylon and a filled in heel pocket. Weird that being this was his binding of choice and he used to ride the Atlas he chose to fill that in. Or whoever I talked to at SIA didn't know what they were talking about or the binding I got a photo of was wrong.
Those Lashed have to be size 8's in womens in an XL binding. Of all the boots I have on hand none even come close to being so narrow hey miss the baseplate.

I don't know if they filled the void on the Atlas binding. I only remember hearing it was filled on the Factory because of the design of the canted footbed. It's also the only binding in the Atlas line I've actually seen with the new design. Maybe Union can clear this up.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've read up a shit ton on reviews of the Atlas, mainly the 2013 model. Most have given 4 or 5 stars on the binding and haven't mentioned the sagging. This is all new to me as I'm new to Union Bindings...some good information though...

·
Registered
545 Posts
rode a pair of L/XL atlas all last season (50+ days on them) with size 12 thirty two tm twos and never noticed this sagging. i did find they were softer in the highback and very supportive from heel edge to toe edge as appossed to my previous years forces but thats exactly what i was expecting and understand that was the idea behind the binding

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
My son put about 180 days on his Medium union atlas last season and is still riding them. He was a size 9-9.5 boot last season, now a 10. Around 80 days he had a local retailer swap in new footbeds, his was the orange foam. They did sag and it was noticeable to him and I could see it sag from behind him. He also had the ratchets replaced at like 100 days. The retailer did it free under unions warranty. When you use stuff, it wears..... They are still his favorite bindings to date but he is gonna use flux in competition this season because they offered us an am rider deal..... Guess we will see how good or bad they are, he would prefer union but didn't ever get a response from them. Union does make a great binding but stuff will wear over the use of it, I mean you do have to put new brake pads on a car occasionally...... Even sometimes buy a new car!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
My son put about 180 days on his Medium union atlas last season and is still riding them. He was a size 9-9.5 boot last season, now a 10. Around 80 days he had a local retailer swap in new footbeds, his was the orange foam. They did sag and it was noticeable to him and I could see it sag from behind him. He also had the ratchets replaced at like 100 days. The retailer did it free under unions warranty. When you use stuff, it wears..... They are still his favorite bindings to date but he is gonna use flux in competition this season because they offered us an am rider deal..... Guess we will see how good or bad they are, he would prefer union but didn't ever get a response from them. Union does make a great binding but stuff will wear over the use of it, I mean you do have to put new brake pads on a car occasionally...... Even sometimes buy a new car!
Excellent post Argo.

Regarding sponsorship, did you call here? Email?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts