Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2014 Union Factory

30488 Views 52 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Chef Jer
Tell me these don't look awesome, canted footbeds, improved toe ratchets, and improved talked high backs. Super Cush straps, and minimal contact baseplates too. Seems T Rice got his own pro model this year!

Attachments

Tell me these don't look awesome, canted footbeds, improved toe ratchets, and improved talked high backs. Super Cush straps, and minimal contact baseplates too. Seems T Rice got his own pro model this year!
See more
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
I was looking at these or next year's UNION Forces and I really would like canted footbeds, but I wasnt sure how much stiffer the UNION factory binding is compared to the Forces?

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
High up on my list for next year. I've tried a lot of bindings but always seem to come back to the old set oh Force Teams I keep just because they are so reliable. My contacts are just a great, this looks like a good mix of the two if the base plate similar to the contact.

· Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I was looking at these or next year's UNION Forces and I really would like canted footbeds, but I wasnt sure how much stiffer the UNION factory binding is compared to the Forces?
I'm going to guess the flex is the same. Next years Force baseplates have the same contact profile and nylon density as the Atlas. They're essentially the same baseplate with a different footbed.

The highback on next year's Force is the same highback as this, but with the traditional Force cut outs, which are entirely for design. I'd say the Force highback flex will be identical to the Team highback.

The new Force ankle strap appears to be a symmetric version of the Atlas ankle strap so I would assume the construction is the same and therefore the response is the same.

Of course, these are all assumptions based on what I see from photo's.

· Registered
658 Posts
They're actually just this year's SuperPro's with canting added. Still the same ratchets.

The only change to the parts is a new heel cup.
[/IMG]
Wrong. The straps are totally different. Brand new buckles and ratchets. The base tray is stiffer than the typical Stage 3 base due to the undyed nylon.

· Registered
658 Posts
I've ridden both and they're relatively the same, although I personally felt the new Force was a tad bit more responsive.

Factory is more cush though, due to the canted footbed and upgraded straps.

· Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Wrong. The straps are totally different. Brand new buckles and ratchets. The base tray is stiffer than the typical Stage 3 base due to the undyed nylon.
Looking at those pictures suggests otherwise. Could you elaborate on how the straps and ratchets are different? Even the stitching is the same. I mean we'll all know soon enough when we get them.

I wonder if Union Inhouse will back up your claim that the Atlas baseplates are stiffer on the Factory??

Again, we'll know for sure when we ride them.

· Registered
658 Posts
Looking at those pictures suggests otherwise. Could you elaborate on how the straps and ratchets are different? Even the stitching is the same. I mean we'll all know soon enough when we get them.

I wonder if Union Inhouse will back up your claim that the Atlas baseplates are stiffer on the Factory??

Again, we'll know for sure when we ride them.
Every single Union binding will have brand new ratchets and buckles this year. From the Force down, all the toe buckles will have the push pin buckles, whereas everything from the Atlas up will have new buckles, but without the push pin, strictly for aesthetic reasons.

The stitching is not the same, on the Factory, the ankle strap is SonicFused, which means that there is no stitching on the strap. Everything is fused together without the need for thread. The strap is also a bit more plush than the standard Atlas strap.

Also, the new Atlas highback is slightly stiffer than this years, so I'm assuming the Team highback that is no cored out will be slightly stiffer as well.

Regarding the Factory v Atlas base, the Factory has non pigmented nylon, whereas the Atlas has its nylon dyed. When you dye nylon with pigment, it lowers the durometer rating (making it softer and less responsive), so Travis wanted a non pigmented nylon in the base to make it a bit more responsive.

· Registered
658 Posts
sigh. i always look at these threads hoping that union changed the toe design..sigh sigh sigh
Why are you complaining?? All the toe straps have been changed as well.

The new toe straps are smaller, and not as blown out as this years. They definitely fit better. The material on the inside of the strap is also grippier than in years past.

The new toe design was the #1 compliment from consumers/retailers at our demo.

· Registered
823 Posts
I'm complaining because I wasted $200 on shitty Unions - idk if you're a rep for them or not, but that toe strap looks IDENTICAL to last years. I had 2012 forces that I couldn't wait to get rid of . I have a paid of Ride Ex's from 2005 with better toe caps.

So they're smaller (like when I put medium toe caps on my large bindings and it did NOTHING?) and not as blown out..meaning they're blown out, just slightly less. And as for the material on the inside, if it's still that bumpy leather then it's still shit. I wonder how much business Burton has gotten just off of unhappy Union customers replacing their toe caps.

· Registered
823 Posts
They say they upgrade them every year..all I know is that they're flat floppy pieces of leather and as a binding only company it's sad that that's the best they can do. I sell kitchens and could build a better toe cap

· Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Every single Union binding will have brand new ratchets and buckles this year. From the Force down, all the toe buckles will have the push pin buckles, whereas everything from the Atlas up will have new buckles, but without the push pin, strictly for aesthetic reasons.

The stitching is not the same, on the Factory, the ankle strap is SonicFused, which means that there is no stitching on the strap. Everything is fused together without the need for thread. The strap is also a bit more plush than the standard Atlas strap.

Also, the new Atlas highback is slightly stiffer than this years, so I'm assuming the Team highback that is no cored out will be slightly stiffer as well.

Regarding the Factory v Atlas base, the Factory has non pigmented nylon, whereas the Atlas has its nylon dyed. When you dye nylon with pigment, it lowers the durometer rating (making it softer and less responsive), so Travis wanted a non pigmented nylon in the base to make it a bit more responsive.
So it looks like the 'new' ratchets without the push pin aren't really 'new', just fixed.

One would think that the Factory being stiffer than the typical Atlas III baseplate would have been included in the company's description, the way the 2011 SL's carbon infused baseplate was.

Clearly the top picture shows the ankle straps to have seams. The second Factory picture it seems that it doesn't. But this detail is in the description catalog description.

· Registered
10,265 Posts
They say they upgrade them every year..all I know is that they're flat floppy pieces of leather and as a binding only company it's sad that that's the best they can do. I sell kitchens and could build a better toe cap
Bro, chill. And this is coming from one of this foums supposed Union "haters". They changed the toe strap. Its not a smaller clone of the old one either. The 2013 had that sorta curved from strip. The curve is gone. It's smaller and both strips are straight with a better material on the boot side. I havent had the chance I hopefully get to get in them, but I find it hard to believe these wont be 10 times better than this years.

Regarding the Factory, as I was told by the kid who walked me around Union at SIA the frame pictured is slightly different than production. You'll notice the heel area in the photo is identical to the Atlas, not filled on and not canted. I have a photo somewhere that shows what I was told is the production model with the canted heel and filled in heel pocket.

Alka is right, everything from the Contact Pro down gets the lever release buckle, everything up gets a newly designed pressure release that is supposedly easier to "pop".

Regarding caps vs straps, apparently there is a patent war going on over capped designs. And the best toe straps I've personally used were Flux and Raiden. Both of which I wouldnt really classify as caps. Being capped or not is a non issue for me as long as it fits. In fact I think caps are worse as they arent as conformable.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.