Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just showed up tonight; my first Arbor. I haven't ridden it yet, but it is so damn pretty that I felt compelled to share.

I'll write a review after I've gotten a few days in on it.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah man. I really love the way the Drives feel, but I hate the ankle straps and absolutely loath the shitty toe buckles. So, I swapped in hammock straps up top (best decision ever) and beefier Union buckles and ladders on the toes. If I could actually rotate the highbacks on these, I think they would be the perfect bindings for my tastes.

I have this fantasy I entertain from time to time in which Burton buy Now and incorporate the kingpin tech into some sort of Diode + Drive super binding.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Stats:
33 yrs old, 240 lbs, riding since 1995.
Skill level: Intermediate overall, but quite a capable carver.
Angles: I've fooled around a bit, but my favorite stance thus far has been +27/+6, though +18/-9 felt pretty nice as well. This board has thus far been a dedicated groomer bombing board, so the double positive angles have been ideal. I will be taking it into the Yukon/Alaska backcountry this weekend though, so I'll probably set it up duck for better impact absorption off cliffs and slammed back for float.
Bindings: Now Drives w/Burton Hammock ankle straps.
Boots: Size 12 Ride Tridents w/the upper and ankle hold Boas cranked to cast-like-stiffness mode (I wear a 13 shoe, but bake them into a 12 boot comfortably).

I have seven days in on this board now and I love it. I was looking for something to ride fast and carve trenches with, and this has been just the ticket. It is damp and super stable at speed, turns on a dime, and is pretty quick edge-to-edge for a 27 cm wide, full camber deck. It REALLY holds an edge. I've ridden it on edge right across hard, yellow ice, and it doesn't waver one iota. I have a Skunk Ape 169w that I have put in a lot of days on, and I swear the A-Frame holds its edge just as good, if not better than magnetraction (but without the catchiness or added drag...to be fair, I probably lean over farther on it, though, which would make a significant difference). If you love carving at speed, you will love this board; it's a fucking laser-guided missile. However, if you aren't a strong carver and tend to skid your turns, it's going to be a bad time.

It is a stiff, cambered deck, so you have to be awake, but it isn't a total plank. I haven't felt that it was riding me at any point. However, this is my morning board - once my legs get tired, I'll grab my Skunk Ape and fuck around in the park and on side hits and stuff. Also, I am really heavy for a snowboarder and have extremely strong legs (powerlifter), so I am going to coax more flex out of it than a lighter rider. I don't think I would ride it on really tired legs - not that I'd fear for my life or anything, but more so because it wouldn't be fun. I actually find that riding the A-Frame warms me up technique-wise such that I can really bend the Skunk Ape to my will once I swap out.

It's fun to get surfy and steer off the back leg on this board (this will feel great in pow), but once you start pushing through the front, this thing will lay down some pretty tight turns. You can actually maneuver it at low speed pretty well, on account of the tightish radius in the middle. You won't want to though, because that shit fucking sucks. It's bread-and-butter are long, swoopy, large radius turns at high speed, and they feel GOOD. Like, carvegasm good.

The elliptical camber profile is, surprisingly, not super catchy, though the double regressive sidecut (9.4/8.5/9.4) is probably a significant factor in that as well. The pop out of turns is real nice, and is a big part of why I prefer camber for this kind of deck. The way it hops out of toeside carves and just rails into a heelside carve, and vice-versa, really pleases me.

I haven't ridden it in pow yet, but I will this weekend when I head out into the Yukon/Alaska backcountry. Between the shape of the nose and tail, the taper, the length and width, and the 20mm set-back, which I will slam back a bit more, I think it will float just fine. I dropped a 20 footer yesterday into about 2 1/2 feet of soft snow and the nose didn't get buried on me (the second time, anyway...), so I'm pretty confident it will be a good time.

Overall, I would strongly recommend this board to anyone who is looking for an aggressive carving speed machine. For anyone with smaller feet than I, I'd bet the 170 would be a dream (too skinny for me, alas). It is definitely a quiver board, though, so you'll want something else if you have any buttering ambitions. It is not a fun-in-the-park, fucking around on side hits, skatey type of ride. It is directional, after all.

Arbor have discontinued the A-Frame for next year, which seems borderline blasphemous to me. So, if you're interested, you'll want to move pretty quick.

If you have any questions, please shoot away.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you ever ridden the Burton FA? I was eyeing this before picking my FA up so just curious as to how they compare. Seems to be the FA is less stiff and would have more float.

Thanks!

Stats:
Angles: I've fooled around a bit, but my favorite stance thus far has been +27/+6, though +18/-9 felt pretty nice as well. This board has thus far been a dedicated groomer bombing board, so the double positive angles have been ideal. I will be taking it into the Yukon/Alaska backcountry this weekend though, so I'll probably set it up duck for better impact absorption off cliffs and slammed back for float.
Boots: Size 12 Ride Tridents w/the upper and ankle hold Boas cranked to cast-like-stiffness mode (I wear a 13 shoe, but bake them into a 12 boot comfortably).

I have seven days in on this board now and I love it. I was looking for something to ride fast and carve trenches with, and this has been just the ticket. It is damp and super stable at speed, turns on a dime, and is pretty quick edge-to-edge for a 27 cm wide, full camber deck. It REALLY holds an edge. I've ridden it on edge right across hard, yellow ice, and it doesn't waver one iota. I have a Skunk Ape 169w that I have put in a lot of days on, and I swear the A-Frame holds its edge just as good, if not better than magnetraction (but without the catchiness or added drag...to be fair, I probably lean over farther on it, though, which would make a significant difference). If you love carving at speed, you will love this board; it's a fucking laser-guided missile. However, if you aren't a strong carver and tend to skid your turns, it's going to be a bad time.

It is a stiff, cambered deck, so you have to be awake, but it isn't a total plank. I haven't felt that it was riding me at any point. However, this is my morning board - once my legs get tired, I'll grab my Skunk Ape and fuck around in the park and on side hits and stuff. Also, I am really heavy for a snowboarder and have extremely strong legs (powerlifter), so I am going to coax more flex out of it than a lighter rider. I don't think I would ride it on really tired legs - not that I'd fear for my life or anything, but more so because it wouldn't be fun. I actually find that riding the A-Frame warms me up technique-wise such that I can really bend the Skunk Ape to my will once I swap out.

It's fun to get surfy and steer off the back leg on this board (this will feel great in pow), but once you start pushing through the front, this thing will lay down some pretty tight turns. You can actually maneuver it at low speed pretty well, on account of the tightish radius in the middle. You won't want to though, because that shit fucking sucks. It's bread-and-butter are long, swoopy, large radius turns at high speed, and they feel GOOD. Like, carvegasm good.

The elliptical camber profile is, surprisingly, not super catchy, though the double regressive sidecut (9.4/8.5/9.4) is probably a significant factor in that as well. The pop out of turns is real nice, and is a big part of why I prefer camber for this kind of deck. The way it hops out of toeside carves and just rails into a heelside carve, and vice-versa, really pleases me.

I haven't ridden it in pow yet, but I will this weekend when I head out into the Yukon/Alaska backcountry. Between the shape of the nose and tail, the taper, the length and width, and the 20mm set-back, which I will slam back a bit more, I think it will float just fine. I dropped a 20 footer yesterday into about 2 1/2 feet of soft snow and the nose didn't get buried on me (the second time, anyway...), so I'm pretty confident it will be a good time.

Overall, I would strongly recommend this board to anyone who is looking for an aggressive carving speed machine. For anyone with smaller feet than I, I'd bet the 170 would be a dream (too skinny for me, alas). It is definitely a quiver board, though, so you'll want something else if you have any buttering ambitions. It is not a fun-in-the-park, fucking around on side hits, skatey type of ride. It is directional, after all.

Arbor have discontinued the A-Frame for next year, which seems borderline blasphemous to me. So, if you're interested, you'll want to move pretty quick.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Stats:

FANTASTIC board. I have the 09/10. Love it.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboard-reviews/33281-arbor-frame.html

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you ever ridden the Burton FA? I was eyeing this before picking my FA up so just curious as to how they compare. Seems to be the FA is less stiff and would have more float.

Thanks!
I've never ridden a Flight Attendant, though my presumptions in regard to the differences in ride would be the same as yours. I would also suspect, given the earlier rise, that the FA would be a bit quicker edge-to-edge, all other things being equal.

The FA sounds like a laugh and half. I'd like to take one for a rip sometime for sure.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I hear you, man. I can't believe they discontinued it for next year. In my mind, 'Arbor' and 'A-Frame' have been synonymous forever. I hope people snatch up those 170s while they're still kicking around.
Mine is still carving strong. I almost bought another 11/12 one here on the forum. Almost. Now you made me think about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts