Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode this at Loveland early season with the Arbor rep. Flux SF, DC Lynx 8.5, 155lbs.

This has Arbors new System Camber. Parabolic camber that is more aggressive between the feet and mellows out towards the tips, but remaining full camber the whole length. No rocker. They then add their Griptech sidecut and "fenders" to the original contact points lifting them 3mm.

Stiffness: Mid stiff throughout with matching torsional give, pretty consistent tip to tail with must a bit more give towards the end of the tips.

Stability: Go fast. Go faster. Go even faster. You can feel what's happening under your feet, but just enough to be able to react to the conditions in real time. It's definitely a more active board and wants to be on edge carving, but if you point it straight it will hold without being twitchy.

Carving: Mid Stiff. Camber. Griptech. Put all that together and you can carve your heart out. Super active edge to edge. It accelerates out of turns. One thing with System Camber is that you can drive your contact points, but you're better off riding the Griptech contact points and letting the sidecut and traditional contact points do there own thing. Instead of driving into the tips to start or finish your turns, you just drive straight down into the board. I found it provided more power with less effort.

Pop: Holy hell. I haven't ridden a board with this much snap that's as easy to get to as this in a long time. Send it. But know that you might just be sending that roller like 20-30 feet further than you planned. Boost to the moon.

Butters: It is a mid stiff camber deck, but as long as you know what you're doing it's all there and can be fun. Definitely more of a high speed butter kind of all mountain deck.

Overall: If you don't plan on trying to get techy on rails in the park, and plan on riding everything else with some power, this is your board. This has instantly jumped into my top 10 all time list. There is literally nothing I would change about this board, it does everything so well. Stable at high speeds, super snappy, super carvy, lively, smooth... everything. You should probably get one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the review man, I've been waiting for one on the Coda Camber for a while. Have you had a chance to ride the Sin Nombre yet? On paper they seem very similar except for the tip shapes and carbon vs. bamboo in the SN. I feel like the SN is closer to a true medium vs. a medium/stiff so was surprised when you found the Coda to be medium stiff. I've also read reviews on the SN being pretty easy to butter due to the medium flex and mellow camber (based on Arbor's website, the SN has less camber than the Coda and even the Relapse).

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't ridden it yet. But it is on my list. From what I'm guessing it's more active and edgy with the carbon, but similar stiffness. Hopefully sometime soon I'll get on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, curious to see if you think the pop / response changes from swapping the bamboo core to the carbon. My SN feels pretty poppy, but not mind-blowing. Would you say the Coda Camber is a hard platform to learn to butter on then? I got my SN with the hopes that I could use it as a more playful A/M Freestyle board when I didn't want to charge with my FA. I've only ridden the SN once and it felt kind of medium to me, but then again it might be slightly different from the Coda.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm looking at adding this and a westmark camber possibly to my quiver. I've got a Billy Goat c3 159 as my "charging/cruising" deck. I'm thinking maybe the coda camber in a 159 and westmark in a 156 as my park/play around board. I'm fluctuating between 180 and 200 lbs. Would you say the 159 would be adequate? Looking at it as my all mountain freestyle deck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey there, I'm planning on definitely getting myself the Coda Camber. 5'7" and about 190(muscular build) size 9 boots so no issues with width. Would you think the 159 would be a good size for me just as an all around quiver board? Lots of carving, playing around, popping oldies and such. My freestyle is a project right now after a few years off so really hoping this will be a good board for progression in the sense as well as handling groomers and whatever else might be in the cards. Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I started out on camber like most riders in their late 20s and up. I went through my rocker phase and, while it has its place and can be fun, I prefer a little more of a stable, locked in feel of camber.
It seems like people have said that the Westmark rides big too, is that your opinion?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nivek,

Would you classify this board as lively? My SN does not feel like it has much dampening at all in rougher terrain vs. something like my FA.

Also, would you say this board would be tough to learn butters on? I'm thinking of selling my SN and thinking of picking up a park board for this reason.

Thanks man

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just got back from my first day riding this and wanted to thank you for an awesome recommendation! I'm a work in progress, but even I got into that snap you talked about a couple of times just off of small huts and it straight up blew me away. Such a fun board! After I've ridden it some more, I'll share any additional thoughts I have.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Niv, how is this in icier/harder conditions?
I picked up this board on a sale and brought it up to Mammoth over the weekend. Early in the morning was packed ice and I personally felt the board didn't work well at all. As the day progressed and the sun hit the snow making it more slushy, that's when the board made a great impression to me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I picked up this board on a sale and brought it up to Mammoth over the weekend. Early in the morning was packed ice and I personally felt the board didn't work well at all. As the day progressed and the sun hit the snow making it more slushy, that's when the board made a great impression to me.
I actually thought the board handles ice and hard packed pretty well. Maybe not as good as the really aggressive magnetraction boards, but just as good as a typical magnetraction board.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nivek,

Has the flex changed between 2016 and 2017? Based on BA's review it seems he felt the board was more a of a playful medium flex vs. medium-stiff.

Also I noticed you've ridden both the 2017 Yes Greats and Lago Double Barrel. How does the Coda Camber stack up to these with regards to ease of buttering / presses?

Thanks dude!

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Nivek,

Has the flex changed between 2016 and 2017? Based on BA's review it seems he felt the board was more a of a playful medium flex vs. medium-stiff.
Niveks 155lb on a 156cm board vs BA's 175lb on a 153cm board probably has more to do with that than any manufacturing differences.

If I ever find a 160MW going cheap it's something I really want to try.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They're all kind of a similar flex overall so the bit of rocker in the tips of the Greats and the Double Barrell will make them just a bit more playful in the tips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts