Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Context:
I’m 40 years old, been riding for 27 years and I would describe myself as an “aging” expert snowboarder. I’m 5’10” and around 165 lbs with size 9.5 boots. I’m riding the 158 with Cartel bindings and the reference stance (angles 21, -12).

I tend to like moderately aggressive boards, but I don’t care for death planks because I like buttering occasionally and being able flex my board through technical terrain. I like trees, powder, carving, side hits, and the medium or small jump lines at the park. I don’t jib generally.

I bought the Custom camber for jumping and carving. I’ve put perhaps a dozen days on this board under every possible condition ( deep powder, ice, perfect corduroy, dust on crust, chunder, and slush) at Whistler, Alpental and Stevens Pass so I figured it was time to write review.

Carving:
This board carves freaking great. The sidecut is awesome, it rolls edge to edge easily, and it pops nicely out of carves. It just feels great regular and switch from medium to high speeds (it’s a bit squirrely at very low speeds). This is a mid flexing board, so it is possible to over power it if you try really hard or are going at ultra high speeds. It’s not a Custom X, but it is more versatile than the Custom X.

Jumping:
I find this board very stable and predictable off jumps. The pop is solid and it inspires confidence. Honestly, don’t take my word for it, look at how much of the Burton team rides this board.

Jibbing:
Haven’t tried it but it’s clearly doable (as evidenced by the Burton team). With that said, I think there are much better choices out there and I wouldn’t want to beat up the edges of such a great carving board.

Switch:
It’s not a true twin, but it’s pretty darn close. I’d be pretty surprised if you felt like this board hindered your switch riding.

Powder:
I was pleasantly surprised at how well this board floats in powder. I mean it’s a cambered directional twin so it’s no dedicated powder stick, but for a cambered directional twin it does quite well. If you don’t have experience floating this type of board in powder, steepness and speed are your friends. Also you have to work harder to keep the nose afloat on jumps and drops. I have a dedicated pow stick for bottomless days, but for me, this board is perfectly at home hunting for stashes at resorts.

Thoughts:
I bought this board for jumping and carving and it has not disappointed. If you are looking for a cambered resort rider, that you bring pretty much anywhere, the Custom camber is a good option. I really really like this board...

Ripping a carve on an icy day at Stevens...

Ripping a steep carve on that same icy day at Stevens...

Riding pow at Whistler...

About to drop into Flute bowl at Whistler with a strange pink lady behind me...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good review poop, thanks. This board is on my list for this year.

How was the edge control in the harder/ ice conditions? In fact how was it generally in those conditions?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice review. Any pic's?:chin:
Ah good idea! I added some action shots.

Good review poop, thanks. This board is on my list for this year.

How was the edge control in the harder/ ice conditions? In fact how was it generally in those conditions?
I find the edge grip to be nice and solid as should be expected from a cambered board with a good sidecut. In my experience, cambered boards just grip the best and if they do slide, cambered board have the most controllable slide. To be clear though, I've never tried any magnetraction type sidecuts, but the edge grip is quite good for a normal sidecut.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In my experience, cambered boards just grip the best and if they do slide, cambered board have the most controllable slide.
A eastern coast rider vows for that.

At 150lbs I am on the exact same board, and your descriptions are the exact words I have in mind. It's such a versatile board that I am even thinking getting the 156 from next year for more freestyle stuffs in resort riding days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm the same age and have been riding for close to the same time. I'm looking to replace my 165 Mans board with something wider since I boot out when carving really hard occasionally. Looking at the Custom and Nitro Team. Sounds like our riding styles are very similar. Thanks again. It's tough to find people actually review this board.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A eastern coast rider vows for that.

At 150lbs I am on the exact same board, and your descriptions are the exact words I have in mind. It's such a versatile board that I am even thinking getting the 156 from next year for more freestyle stuffs in resort riding days.
I grew up in Vermont and my first 9 years snowboarding were spent there. Had a blast and loved the people, but man are there some icy days!

I didn't want to make the review too long talking about this, but realistically I could have ridden any size from 154 to 160 and they probably all would have worked well for different things. I actually had a similar thought about the 156 for spring park laps. It's nothing fancy, but it's just a really a well-designed board.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just picked up the same board and paired it with cartels. Youre review is spot on. Board is outstanding. Im very pleased with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Context:
I’m 40 years old, been riding for 27 years and I would describe myself as an “aging” expert snowboarder. I’m 5’10” and around 165 lbs with size 9.5 boots. I’m riding the 158 with Cartel bindings and the reference stance (angles 21, -12).

I tend to like moderately aggressive boards, but I don’t care for death planks because I like buttering occasionally and being able flex my board through technical terrain. I like trees, powder, carving, side hits, and the medium or small jump lines at the park. I don’t jib generally.

I bought the Custom camber for jumping and carving. I’ve put perhaps a dozen days on this board under every possible condition ( deep powder, ice, perfect corduroy, dust on crust, chunder, and slush) at Whistler, Alpental and Stevens Pass so I figured it was time to write review.

Carving:
This board carves freaking great. The sidecut is awesome, it rolls edge to edge easily, and it pops nicely out of carves. It just feels great regular and switch from medium to high speeds (it’s a bit squirrely at very low speeds). This is a mid flexing board, so it is possible to over power it if you try really hard or are going at ultra high speeds. It’s not a Custom X, but it is more versatile than the Custom X.

Jumping:
I find this board very stable and predictable off jumps. The pop is solid and it inspires confidence. Honestly, don’t take my word for it, look at how much of the Burton team rides this board.

Jibbing:
Haven’t tried it but it’s clearly doable (as evidenced by the Burton team). With that said, I think there are much better choices out there and I wouldn’t want to beat up the edges of such a great carving board.

Switch:
It’s not a true twin, but it’s pretty darn close. I’d be pretty surprised if you felt like this board hindered your switch riding.

Powder:
I was pleasantly surprised at how well this board floats in powder. I mean it’s a cambered directional twin so it’s no dedicated powder stick, but for a cambered directional twin it does quite well. If you don’t have experience floating this type of board in powder, steepness and speed are your friends. Also you have to work harder to keep the nose afloat on jumps and drops. I have a dedicated pow stick for bottomless days, but for me, this board is perfectly at home hunting for stashes at resorts.

Thoughts:
I bought this board for jumping and carving and it has not disappointed. If you are looking for a cambered resort rider, that you bring pretty much anywhere, the Custom camber is a good option. I really really like this board...

Ripping a carve on an icy day at Stevens...

Ripping a steep carve on that same icy day at Stevens...

Riding pow at Whistler...

About to drop into Flute bowl at Whistler with a strange pink lady behind me...
Nice review, just ordered my first one, one size smaller than might have been perfect but for USD 350 in Norway, I couldn't resist. Now it's just waiting until winter hits to experience my first Burton.

Been snowboarding since the 90s (37yo) so the Burton brand is kind of like the holy grail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts