Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With changes coming to the '19 model again, I thought it might be a good idea to post some '18 thoughts for those making decisions on this years deck, or a new '19 model.

Height: 5'11
Weight: 190 lbs
Boots: Nike Zoom Force 1
Bindings: Burton Cartels

First, I've spent some time in the BSOD line. Had a '12 briefly before returning due to size issues (should have bought the '59), and had a '15. The board evolves constantly. It's subtle year to year, but after 3 years, the gap gets big.

The '12 model was stiff and aggressive, but rode a little short, and was not damp. It was a board that you were going to feel every vibration. I had a '13 Ultra Fear, which absorbed more chatter than the BSOD, if that puts it in perspective.

The '15 model was really damn good for what it was. Excelled in powder, and unless you were headed to Japan, it could have been your pow stick. Hero snow, to packed powder groomers, this board was blast. Ice, to crud, this board was not fun. Any of that crust shit, and this board showed all its flaws.

I've come back to Capita a lot here because the flex pattern from tip to tail, and the response from the camber when carving and popping off rollers, is phenomenal. The BSOD has always had a good amount of board feel in combination of pop. Just a shit load of spring.

So to the '18 model.

The shape of the board is directional, with a taper. I think the set back is 30 mm if I am not mistaken. Big rockered nose on the board with almost the same shape on the tail. Tail has a flat zone, which helps directionally with powder and adds some lazy pop to the board, which is nice for natural features.

The flex pattern is stiffened up quite a bit between the bindings, as well as outside the insert packs. Torsionally, it's probably about the same as the '15 model, with maybe a hair more stiffness. This makes the board still nimble, which was something I liked over stiffer, plank like freeride boards. The added stiffness added quite a bit of stability (compared to '15), and more response at speed, making this closer to a freeride board that you could take anywhere.

Additionally, they really dampened this thing up. It's pretty significant from the '15 model. It eats varied conditions well. It's not a NS 25, Lib Tech E Jack, or Yes Pick Your Line, but it's fairly damp. I was slightly worried that it might affect the pop, but it didn't. This board still has that spring out of carves, and a smooth flex pattern as you engage the camber of the board. You can really lay this board out on a carve. Not a hero snow board anymore. You can take this most places and feel confident.

Pop on jumps was strong. Flat zone adds some ease to the pop. Not as much effort to load. Definitely didn't find myself needing more. There are poppier boards out there, but for a board that leans freeride, I think you could say this is in the strong category.

Speed. Capita's, like Rome and some other brands, really get that run away feeling if you point it. No problem here. Really a fun morning groomer bomber. I didn't notice the rockered nose with speed at all. Edge hold is really solid (you have camber between your bindings, what did you expect), but that flat zone will not give you that Eurocarve confidence on super firm to icy days. They don't add any edge tech for you East Coasters.

Float. Still a really strong suit of the board. The directional shape, taper of the board, and added stiffness between the feet are nice. Not as effortless as the '15 model, but that has to do with the closer to twin shape of the board. Not as directional as '15. Still, the nose wants to plain up.

Skidded Turns - Hahaha. Fuck you Good Ride. What the F* is this category, and why would you even list it with more aggressive boards.

Durability - Your base and top sheet will show battle scars. This isn't a NS. My thoughts? Snowboards are meant to be ridden, and not to stay pretty. I'm about ride. And unless you are going to ride the same board for 5 years, do you really care? Tech is evolving so quickly in snowboarding, that you will want something new in 2 years. If you are the ride one board until it dies guy, something to think about.

Overall, this is a great snowboard. I come back to Capita over and over again because their camber and pop feel just right to me. The Mercury is outstanding as well, with a little bit of added strength to the overall flex pattern, but same great board feel. The BSOD is just more directional, while Mercury is twin shaped, with a slight setback. Fast, stable (the added dampening is huge - no longer a quiver board but a quiver of 1), excels in pow, and a blast to carve. I think they nailed the BSOD for the first time in a while for *most* conditions. If you are backcountry and spine guy, there are better options from Jones, Yes, etc.

'19 model. Reading the catalog, it looks like they softened the flex a little bit. Guts should be the same, so the dampness should return. Could help you one way or the other, depending on what you want out of a board. Personally I'd grab that '18 if you are pushing more freeride with the board.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I wanted one this year but the shop in town, Tactics, didn't get their shipment until after Jan 1 and by then I had bought something else (salomon man board). Said they got held up in customs. So Once they got 'em in, they had a 159 demo and let me use it for a week. I agree with everything you said about the board but want to add a bit more. On groomers this thing wanted to bomb, and it could. It was high speed confident bombing too. The dampness gives you increased confidence, especially when you carve. I think I made some of the fastest carves ever on this thing without feeling like i'd wash. It also makes a really unique humming noise, kinda like all terrain tires on a truck. Then in pow the glide was so smooth. Super snappy and responsive. I rode it in tight tree conditions and open steep pow and by time I took it back I was ready to take it home for good. I was also surprised how well it handled my weight at 225 for being the 159. I don't think I would even be interested in riding the 162. Sweet all around board if park doesn't interest you. I'll be grabbing the 2018 this off season. I liked the stiffness.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's always good to hear others with similar experiences. Honestly, Capita just makes some great decks in general. The Mercury was a shit load of fun too, but I have twin boards that fit that niche, while the BSOD adds the directional taper, and powder aspect to it.

Have nothing but great things to say about the Ultra Fear as well.

Yeah, your top sheet will get dinged faster. Yeah, you're based will show every rock, no matter how small. I've never come close to the core though. It is however a soft base.

Is that noise you're talking about like I whistling noise, like a whisper? Swishing sound? My board does that, especially in soft snow, if that's what you are talking about. Never noticed it on other boards.

By the way, how did it compare to the Man's board? Haven't ridden anything from Salomon besides the Assassin and Villain. Really want to demo that, the Sick Stick, and Ultimate Ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Agreed. Capitas are just fun to ride. FWIW capita says the 19 is just as stiff as the 18 front to rear but slightly softer side to side to make direction changes easier and faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts