Year: 2019
Size: 166W (312/266/312)
Sidecut Radius (m): 8.4
Stance Location: -12.5mm
Bindings: Genesis X EST™ (large)
Boots: SLX
Wax: Hertal FC739
Rider: 191cm/95kg (kitted up)

Just got back from a few days down the Australian Alps riding my new '19 Burton Custom 166W and Endeavor Archetype 162 so I thought I'd share a few thoughts on the Custom.

So in my time I've had a few generations of the Burton Custom as my go to board for Australia. I unloaded my '16 Custom 165W at the beginning of the year as I really liked the look of the '19 model. It's slightly longer but no real different in ride. The big difference in outline is Burton going to a more blunted nose from the '18 model onward.

Anyway mounted her up with a set of Genesis X EST. Had them dialed back at around -20mm from reference as I'm quite into this set up now in my old age...., just love a bit of freeride directional setback. Stance width is 560mm. Pre-waxed up with Hertal FC739 with the base and side edges dialed in at 1/89 degrees. Conditions on the day were slightly overcast on groomed to later mucked up piste at around +0 to 1C.

Custom 1.jpg

Custom 2.jpg

Custom 3.jpg

Well this board just absolutely rips. Felt so comfortable charging around the mountain with it under my 96kg kitted up weight. The Custom can dial in a carve and it slots in with real confidence. Turns edge to edge with so much ease. I love this board so much........, it's just so solid.

Custom 4.jpg

Custom 7.jpg

Custom 8.jpg

Custom 9.jpg

Custom 10.jpg

Going back in 3 weeks time for a week of riding and will be taking this along with the Archetype and my '18 Custom X 166W. Will add some more thoughts to this review.

Custom 11.jpg

Custom 12.jpg

Custom 5.jpg

Custom 6.jpg

The Burton Custom 166W is an absolutely brilliant all mountain board.

5 Stars.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got a 19' 154W Custom this year as well. I've done 4 days so far, and I'm loving it. I just need a full day without the NZ Mt.Ruapehu rime ice and I'll be away. Its holding up well on the ice, but the couple of half days I've got it onto decent stuff, as you say, it rips.
It gets onto edge quickly and seems to hold really well. Seems to have the right amount pop for me. I go quickly but not a full on charger.
Looking forward to the middle of the season, when I can have a proper go!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks great man!

I am looking to get a new wide board myself. The Custom has a waist width of 166 and is quite long. Are you happy with it's length & width? What's your boot-size?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great man!

I am looking to get a new wide board myself. The Custom has a waist width of 166 and is quite long. Are you happy with it's length & width? What's your boot-size?
Yep this board is sooooo solid. Great all mountain board. Is really fast across the flats and carves hard. This is my 3rd Custom Wide in a decade. Can't go wrong with this board. So easy to sell after a few years use which helps me update to the new seasons model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts