Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brand: Endeavor
Model: Archetype
Year: 2019
Size: 162 (319/263/289)
SIdecut Radius (m): 8.8
Taper: 30mm
Suggested Rider Weight (kgs): 68 to 90
Bindings: Genesis X/Genesis EST™ (large)
Boots: SLX
Wax: Hertal FC739
Rider: 191cm/95kg (kitted up),

(I just put this review of the Endeavor Archetype 162 together in the Snowboard Review Section from a mixture of my posts in other threads).

Just returned from a few days at Thredbo in the Australian Alpine. Rode a day each on my new '19 Custom 166W and '19 Endeavor Archetype 162. So this is a 1st impression ride from a solid day of riding with the Archetype.

20181205_135658.jpg

Well it's been 6 months since I've been riding after coming out of the heavenly Hokkaido Alpine so jumping back on the slopes of Australia is a bit of a downgrade but I'll take this any day just to get back on the mountain. Well I had the Endeavor Archetype 162 waxed up with Hertal FC739 and boy oh boy she's a quick little beast. Again dragged my Genesis X EST across. Conditions on the day left me on groomed and later slightly mucked up slushy +2C overcast conditions to ride on. On a plus no real crowd problems.

G0013299.JPG

So this is my 1st time in riding a swallow tail and the Archetype is a pretty extreme example of this. The Archetype 162 looks a little out there but boy it absolutely rips. It feels like a very competent carver....., turns edge to edge with so much ease.

G0013379.jpg

This is the shortest board I've ridden for quite a while (being in the 95kg kitted up range) and you can feel this slight size difference with the Archetype in hand. I had the bindings dialed back to -20mm behind reference front and rear. I'm tending to always set up like this lately as I'm now more into directional freeriding in my older age.

G0013528.jpg

This felt okay but underfoot I was feeling an unusual tiny bit wider in stance than on my 2019 Custom 166W. I later ripped out the tape measure finding the Archetype was 38mm wider than the Customs 560mm with both their indicated reference points. So I'll definitely be taking this into consideration the next time I set up.
G0013695.JPG

I tried to lay down a few high speed euro's and could slightly feel the nose wanting to bite in a couple of times. Maybe need to try this out earlier in the day before it gets slightly chewed up. I normally have no problems with this on the longer Custom/Custom X but this could be me just taking on too much for a 1st day ride. The effective edges might be playing into this a little bit here at 1200mm for the Archetype 162 to 1295mm Custom 166W. Just need to be a little less aggressive with this smaller ride.

G0013766.JPG

So from a 1st day ride on the Archetype it feels fairly solid. It's definitely a good board. Going back down for a week in 3 weeks time and I'll be taking the Custom X, Custom and Archetype. Hoping for a bit of powder to break the Archetype out on. This is where I feel the Archetype will really come to life.

G0013780.JPG

So returned for a further few days on the '19 Archetype and another 2 days on '19 Custom 166W. Conditions were the usually groomed to mucked up Australian Alpine piste. Plenty of snow just not that much fresh stuff. Both boards absolutely ripped.

G0013775 (2).JPG

Had the Archetype fitted with Genesis X EST and dialed fully back to the rear on front and around -20 on the rear at my usual 560mm stance. Found a couple of untouched fresh patches and slashed around on the Archetype. I could feel the Archetype coming into its own here and really lapping these areas up. This ride also carves very hard for a semi S rocker type (hover camber) set up with it never losing an edge when I was laying it over and cranking the Archetype hard.

G0013887.jpg

I notice the nose just had the slightest bit of chatter when riding through rougher areas of terrain. The Archetype has 2 carbon strips running in a V pattern from each swallow tail to around half way up the board for stiffness but to me this board feels a tiny less stiffer than say a Custom.

So I'm hanging to get this board over to Hokkaido to give it a real workout. Will see how I go with luggage weight but are planing with taking my Dump Truck 163, Archetype 162 and maybe if I can squeeze it in, the Custom 166W for those bluebird days.

G0013957 (2).JPG

So all in all from my short few days of riding....., the Archetype feels a pretty sweet board.

February 2019 Hokkaido, Japan.

In Furano presently, last day before heading to Niseko for a week. Been an epic amount of snow, 10 to 15cm a day. I brought 3 boards over with me, 163 Dump Truck, 162 Archetype and 161 fish. Yesterday I had a full day on the Archetype in the powder. It was super cold at windchill -35C and managed a little frostbite on nose as I was hammering it home. Well this board went pretty good. Very surfy when you're in the powder. So easy to slash the tail around and change direction on the float. My only one gripe about the Archetype is I wish it was slightly longer for me being around 97kg/191cm kitted up. I have Genesis EST fully to the rear on front foot which is only about -10 and -20 on the rear foot. You notice when driving through untracked the nose sitting a bit low in front even though I'm leaning back slightly. I think I've been a little spoiled with how great the fish has performed. Back out off the powder onto the piste the Archetype feels soooo good here as a solid carver.

1st bluebird day outside today at -23C. I wonder what board I will take out today??? Just looked out window again heavy cloud coming over......., shit more snow again.

Last day in Niseko today so I thought I'd end the holiday with a big day on the Archetype. Had around 10 to 15cm in the last 24 hours so plenty of fresh powder available. Been riding my 161 Fish most of the time here and god I really love this board.

Did a number of decent drops into some uncharted zones. The Archetype worked well here so I ventured down for a few runs under the chairs where the untracked powder lay. So the Archetype to me feels way more comfortable as a freeride board than a true power slayer which left me a little disappointed as I was expecting more from it in the soft stuff. It can do powder areas pretty comfortably but just doesn't fill me with what I've experienced with the Fish. In my mind the Endeavor Archtype is very similar to my Dump Truck 163. I'd say the Archetype probably carves slightly a bit better where as the DT enjoys the powder a bit more. However they're both really pretty close to each other. I find I get the most joy out of the Archetype out on the groomers. Next year I've put in an order for a '20 Bataleon Surfer to bring over.

So the Endeavor Archetype 162 is a really really solid board. It performs brilliantly as an all mountain/freeride/powder ride. The Archetype carves pretty damn solid on the piste and can really hold it's head up high when bouncing into the powder pockets.
To be honest though, I was probably expecting the Endeavor Archetype to perform a bit better in the powder than what it did for me. I suppose being a bigger rider at 95kg may have stetched it a bit too far?...., and in Hokkaido laying it up against my Fish 161 is really not that fair of a fight at all.

A credible 4 1/2 stars. ⭐⭐⭐⭐❄

·
Registered
54 Posts
@Craig51 Can you remind me what your boot size is? Didn't see it in the review (which I've read several times before)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Craig51 This is from last season yeah?
It was from 12 to 18 months ago. I noticed there was not an EA Snowboard Review thread in this section. It's just in the boards section which is pretty massive.

I sort of like the Snowboard Review section as you can fast track to a write up pretty quickly when you are looking at a new board.

Spewing as I've gone through a fair few of my HDD and I don't think I have any Japan pics of the EA. Some days it's just so good to be free of the Go-Pro.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It was from 12 to 18 months ago. I noticed there was not an EA Snowboard Review thread in this section. It's just in the boards section which is pretty massive.

I sort of like the Snowboard Review section as you can fast track to a write up pretty quickly when you are looking at a new board.

Spewing as I've gone through a fair few of my HDD and I don't think I have any Japan pics of the EA. Some days it's just so good to be free of the Go-Pro.
When you edit the post it resets the time stamp - I was like, how'd that @#$! get access early and man the conditions look sweet for May!!

Great review on the Arch, was looking at it early in the year but it was sold out here in Aus and ended up getting the Amplid. At the moment I get around the baggae taking my daughter who still hires skis on site, that way I'll pack a board and gear as part of her allowance. Hoping the K2 Lien AT's mean I can just take one set of bindings.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep I really like the EA. I'm probably going to sell mine this year however. I'm going to swear now...., I've just got just too many boards and can't ride them enough. They are like $Au999.99 rrp now.

·
Registered
607 Posts
How tall are you? Probably just be a weird angle, but it looks tiny.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Agree with this review 100% It’s kind of hard to believe that this board isn’t the ultimate pow deck based off its looks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How tall are you? Probably just be a weird angle, but it looks tiny.

6'4" (191cm). I use a smatree S2C carbon fibre pole. It's 1030mm which I need to get my size in without cutoffs.

·
Registered
607 Posts
6'4" (191cm). I use a smatree S2C carbon fibre pole. It's 1030mm which I need to get my size in without cutoffs.
Maybe it's just that you're so set back on the short tail. I want to see a pic of me on my 162 Darwin now!

·
Registered
442 Posts
100 % spot on review.

I have Archetype 160W 2020 at 84-85 kg 9,5 US so definitely not too small for me and it’s still behind my Yes Optimistic 154 and Korua Cafe Racer 159 (and a couple of other powder oriented boards I’ve ridden like Rossi Sashimi or Amplid Surfari) when it comes to float (and I’ve ridden the Archetype in a waist deep powder, with the bindings 2 cm back from the reference).

I mean just look at that full camber (not really an S rocker) and a very slight upkick in a quite short nose. A powder shape but a full camber profile. That’s why it carves so well but it’s susceptible to nose diving like a typical full camber board. If you buy it as a playful freeride board you will be super stoked. I take it out when I want to carve and jump between groomers and powder stashes. The Archetype also does very well in trees but wide deep open powder is not its forte.

A great board but not a powder stick.
A couple of photos (unweighted, if you load the camber the difference in the nose is even more substantial):

·
Registered
442 Posts
Kinda weird how I bought the archetype for my pow day weapon and it ended up becoming my DD. Now I still need a pow deck 🤷🏻‍♂️
It’s mismarketed and overhyped in the powder performance in some reviews. The hype is real but on the groomers and jumping.
But that way I can have both Archetype and Korua without the dillema if I should ditch one of these for actually being not a quiver but a collection board 😁

·
Registered
955 Posts
So is the archetype a poser board then? Why does it look like a hardcore powder board, but by all accounts it performs like an all mountain board? So weird, very interested to get a lap on mine. If my Overboard or Simple pleasures is better in powder im gonna laugh my ass off

·
Registered
442 Posts
So is the archetype a poser board then? Why does it look like a hardcore powder board, but by all accounts it performs like an all mountain board? So weird, very interested to get a lap on mine. If my Overboard or Simple pleasures is better in powder im gonna laugh my ass off
It does float well but you have to be careful about the nose. A freeride board’s float, more powder-focused sticks float better. I’m pretty sure they will outperform it. SP looks like a less tapered, softer flexing Korua CR 159.

About a ‚poser’ board. Depends how you look at it. I’ve made some new friends because of the Archetype actually. I wasn’t planning to ditch my buddies for some random crew that day but some powder hounds in the Alps approached me when I was strapping in and they started a conversation about the board. Cool guys, a rad dad and a son. The dad started snowboarding in his 50s and got so stoked that they’ve built a kicker in their garden covered with this green plastic to train in the summer.

Turns heads like no other board for sure but a ‚poser board’ sounds like something that has only the cool looks. This one offers a great performance overall but it’s not a top-end floater.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you fitted Re-Flex to it rather than EST you'd be able to get a lot more setback on the front foot (and consequently to the rear) which would assist it better in powder.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I own both the SP and EA. The SP floats much better but they are very different boards, both excellent and I am keeping both.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I saw this board in Japan this year and was instantly drawn to it, watched the guy a few times on some runs and looked very impressive. the guy knew it also. Was sweet to watch with a good rider.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts