Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Will the 2020/2021 season go ahead in your opinion?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to hear everybody’s 2 cents on how you think the next season in North America will play out in terms of restrictions?

I know everyone’s opinion will be different and it’s hard to predict but I’d like to hear what everyone thinks will happen?

I’m on a limited time visa in Canada and I’m really counting on next season to go ahead as it will be my only chance to work a season here in North America.

·
Super Moderator
6,331 Posts
Depends on area to a certain extent. I'm not sure if Whistler will have the large influx of foreign tourists this year, ferex. That's not a resort restriction as such, though. More of a consequence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m in Banff myself, but yeah I’m really kind of worried as to how the resorts will even operate with such a low revenue from international travel?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My local mtn conglomerate just sent out info for next year's passes. Still expensive af and no discounts. No mention of limits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Peak pass, I mainly go to whitetail/liberty/roundtop. All the good mtns are 5+ hours away. I fucking hate this pass. $600 for me next year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh okay, yeah that sucks man. At least you don’t originate from a country like Aus where it’s near on impossible to ride.
If everything goes ahead, what restrictions does everyone think will be most likely?

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Banff has Calgary, I honestly think we'll be fine. Will winter business revenue drop? Absolutely, but I'd be shocked if it had a significant effect on season pass holders experience. Possibly a slightly later opening date/earlier closing date, less or no snowmaking to save costs etc, but we'll have chairlift access.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Revelstoke is going ahead for now. I can easily see them shutting it down again tho. I wish I can share @Phedder's optimism because I think we won't be fine because of all the Calgarians that will come visit. We already seen a spike here in the Interior 2 weeks after Easter long weekend when the hurtin Albertains did not stay home, we will see a bigger spike after May long because rules do not apply to the entitled, and when the second wave picks up in the winter I'm sure they still won't feel like that stay the fuck home message means them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Interesting dilemma will be how do we avoid mass gathering protocols when lift lines are easily capable of being in excess of 50 people. Hoping it doesn’t even apply. I’m fully expecting park city where I live that the amount of tourists will be reduced dramatically. I can’t imagine many families booking trips until a vaccine is available.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yeah, maybe next season will be one for the locals. Planes and lodging are going to be scary for people and/or limited. I think social distancing can be achieved pretty easily in lift lines if they were longer, and masks could be required without hurting anyone's style either. I agree snowmaking may be limited, and the extended seasons we've been getting may be truncated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Revelstoke is going ahead for now. I can easily see them shutting it down again tho. I wish I can share @Phedder's optimism because I think we won't be fine because of all the Calgarians that will come visit. We already seen a spike here in the Interior 2 weeks after Easter long weekend when the hurtin Albertains did not stay home, we will see a bigger spike after May long because rules do not apply to the entitled, and when the second wave picks up in the winter I'm sure they still won't feel like that stay the fuck home message means them.
What you’re saying makes a lot of sense, I just hope that the next wave can come in the next month or so now that restrictions have been eased, hopefully to calm down again by October? Would that not be a reasonable forecast?

I think the Banff ski areas will rely have to rely heavily on Calgary for their revenue support, and without Calgary the ski areas would not be able to operate at a financially viable capacity?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, maybe next season will be one for the locals. Planes and lodging are going to be scary for people and/or limited. I think social distancing can be achieved pretty easily in lift lines if they were longer, and masks could be required without hurting anyone's style either. I agree snowmaking may be limited, and the extended seasons we've been getting may be truncated.
Social Distancing can be done for sure just with 6 ft spacing between groups/individuals I would have thought? gondolas will be a different story though I’m guessing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Banff has Calgary, I honestly think we'll be fine. Will winter business revenue drop? Absolutely, but I'd be shocked if it had a significant effect on season pass holders experience. Possibly a slightly later opening date/earlier closing date, less or no snowmaking to save costs etc, but we'll have chairlift access.
I hope you’re right man, I truely have to wonder how many ski resorts would stay afloat if the whole next season was cancelled

1 - 20 of 55 Posts