Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local shop has these bindings all on sale for more or less the same price. Now that price is out of the equation I just want to see which one would you guys would recommend?

I'm an intermediate level all mountain rider leaning more towards free ride than park.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,515 Posts
I have owned all three of those bindings at one point or another. Keeping in mind that bindings change from year to year and I'm not a professional boarder, I far prefer the Katanas. The Unions are okay but feel heavy. And they use a powder coated paint job over aluminum, which tends to chip and look really shitty after a while (if that matters to you). The Genesis just felt weird to me. I wish I could give you a more definitive explanation, but I ended up getting rid of the bindings and board. The Katanas are solid and responsive, comfy and easy to get into and out of. I just never have to think about them.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
My local shop has these bindings all on sale for more or less the same price. Now that price is out of the equation I just want to see which one would you guys would recommend?

I'm an intermediate level all mountain rider leaning more towards free ride than park.
Genesis X are awesome. Katanas too.

They are slightly different because of the badeplate. Metal baseplate feel a little different and the Katana has a ton of adjustments which you may or may not want to deal with.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
I have owned all three of those bindings at one point or another. Keeping in mind that bindings change from year to year and I'm not a professional boarder, I far prefer the Katanas. The Unions are okay but feel heavy. And they use a powder coated paint job over aluminum, which tends to chip and look really shitty after a while (if that matters to you). The Genesis just felt weird to me. I wish I could give you a more definitive explanation, but I ended up getting rid of the bindings and board. The Katanas are solid and responsive, comfy and easy to get into and out of. I just never have to think about them.
He means Genesis X.

But also... Genesis are great too. Best about Genesis is that they are suuuuuper comfortable and can be put on any board. I've put them on everything from freestyle twin boards to short fat pow boards to stiff freeride boards and they're ace. Genesis X are stiffer and more responsive, but the difference is somewhat marginal except for really aggressive boards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses! I ended up getting the Genesis X mainly due to my boot size but also because they’re slightly more comfortable. I’m in between sizes and I was told by the sales rep that it’s better to be on the upper end of a small binding and fill it out than to have a small boot in a large binding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts