Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received the board. Plain as hell, but man, it is the lightest thing ive held. The UPS guy handed it to me and i thought the box was empty. Gonna be months before i can use it. Anybody know if waxing the methlon bases is the same as the sintered ones.? i might just try it dry for the first day. Its still in the plastic, so i dont know if there is a factory wax. I know nothing except it is paper light, but still med stiff. Now i need really light bindings. (snow wouldn't hurt either)

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm pretty sure methlon is just branding for sintered material. I bet it's a very high density, exceptional sintered base that I'd wax just like normal. From burton's website:

Methlon Base
Ultra durable and low-maintenance, Burton’s highest grade sintered base creates blistering speed that lasts all season.

I've been wondering how that supremely light mystery tech rides. Stoked for you- You've gotta keep us updated when the snow fills in!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I've been wondering how that supremely light mystery tech rides. Stoked for you- You've gotta keep us updated when the snow fills in!
I ride a Mystery Fish and i got to say I love it. The light weight makes everthing so smooth. base is very fast and I didnt experience any downside until now.

I ll wait for end of season discounts for the mystery LL

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Just received the board. Plain as hell, but man, it is the lightest thing ive held. The UPS guy handed it to me and i thought the box was empty. Gonna be months before i can use it. Anybody know if waxing the methlon bases is the same as the sintered ones.? i might just try it dry for the first day. Its still in the plastic, so i dont know if there is a factory wax. I know nothing except it is paper light, but still med stiff. Now i need really light bindings. (snow wouldn't hurt either)
There is factory wax; but I still do a new waxing for all new boards. A better wax job than the factory wax won't hurt.
I'd say try slightly cooler temps than you typically do, because the lighter everything in the Mystery means things will heat up quicker and peak at higher temps; you don't want to screw up a Mystery base on your first wax...

Landlord is for sure my favourite board. A Mystery LL would be awesome, but with the price... I'd rather get several boards instead. I'm more interested in different feels vs 'the best' feel.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is factory wax; but I still do a new waxing for all new boards. A better wax job than the factory wax won't hurt.
I'd say try slightly cooler temps than you typically do, because the lighter everything in the Mystery means things will heat up quicker and peak at higher temps; you don't want to screw up a Mystery base on your first wax...

Landlord is for sure my favourite board. A Mystery LL would be awesome, but with the price... I'd rather get several boards instead. I'm more interested in different feels vs 'the best' feel.
I would totally go for the Mystery LL if not for the base color, wish it's white or red.

The 16 LL (my favorite) is light, but Mystery is next level. Just a little bit afraid it won't be as sturdy.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I would totally go for the Mystery LL if not for the base color, wish it's white or red.

The 16 LL (my favorite) is light, but Mystery is next level. Just a little bit afraid it won't be as sturdy.
I don't mind colors... haven't even seen the LL Mystery colors yet (I'm deliberately staying away from looking at too much pre-season gear stuff). But yeah, Mystery stuff is next level. It's cardboard-light.

In my case I'm not really concerned with how sturdy it is... I rarely have issues with "sturdy", but rather it's the typical issues from normal riding. No matter how sturdy your board is, if you run into a rock-shark, you gonna have a bad time. No matter how much methlon is in the base, if you catch a rock with your edges, they're getting wrecked.

So... this ^ on a $1500 board is kind of a bigger deal than on a normal board.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't mind colors... haven't even seen the LL Mystery colors yet (I'm deliberately staying away from looking at too much pre-season gear stuff). But yeah, Mystery stuff is next level. It's cardboard-light.

In my case I'm not really concerned with how sturdy it is... I rarely have issues with "sturdy", but rather it's the typical issues from normal riding. No matter how sturdy your board is, if you run into a rock-shark, you gonna have a bad time. No matter how much methlon is in the base, if you catch a rock with your edges, they're getting wrecked.

So... this ^ on a $1500 board is kind of a bigger deal than on a normal board.
True.

By sturdy I mean when you land tail heavy, some board just snaps more easily than others :(.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
True.

By sturdy I mean when you land tail heavy, some board just snaps more easily than others :(.
Yeah I know what you mean. That's why I said I'm more worried about the day to day normal damage (because it happens more often and is more likely to happen), than a serious snap. Seeing boards taking the way pros land on those icy big jump ramps... i think my gear is pretty safe :giggle:

Also, 3yrs warranty on the Mystery boards... would be good if they did lifetime warranty on the Mystery stuff. Yes already does lifetime warranty on boards; and Burton on AK gear...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm interested in the Mystery line because I want to see what the pros ride. I swear they use the same graphics and mold as the regular production boards, but they've gotta be using custom cores and resins for what team members actually ride. If I was a pro, I'd want a say on my flex pattern and whatnot. If I was competing, I'd want as much boost as I could handle.
How bad would it look if someone's tail broke at a huge event? It's awesome Mystery gives us amateurs a taste of what the pros get to ride.

I don't own any Mystery Burtons. If I could afford it, I'd love to check that tech out. Then again, in a few years the industry will probably catch up to this professional benchmark. I've been patient before...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
So I'm seriously considering grabbing a 163 LL Mystery. They are on 40% off sale at the moment which softens the blow a lot but bloody hell they're still outrageously expensive. Anyway to justify this outlay I worked my arse off all over Easter with heaps of O/T so the $$$$ is not going to be an issue as I can pay for LL Mystery in overtime alone. I think I've already talked myself into it as I'll probably unload my Dump Truck 163 and EA 162 which basically fall within pretty similar parameters with the LL to a degree. I'm going to swear now...., there are just so many boards you can own???

I jumped from a LL to the DT a few years ago and found I loved the DT a lot more as a freeride gem but I could be just deceiving myself here. Looking at the specs with the DT to LL Mystery they are close to identical other than EE (less in LL) and tip/tail width where we are only talking about a couple of mm here and there. The LL is wider in tip and tail and this is a plus for me with the benefit of slightly more float.

Anyway you only live once......, work hard, play hard.(y)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Ended up grabbing LL Mystery 163 today, never been on display and still in plastic for $Au1230 delivered ($US780). Most expensive board I've ever bought.

I'll probably have a heart attack if I ever run over a rock. I'll see how she looks side by side to the DT.

·
541 Posts
Ended up grabbing LL Mystery 163 today, never been on display and still in plastic for $Au1230 delivered ($US780). Most expensive board I've ever bought.

I'll probably have a heart attack if I ever run over a rock. I'll see how she looks side by side to the DT.
Nice, here's hoping a speedy delivery. What site did you pick it up from?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Balmoral Boards in Sydney had 40%+ off all Burton Boards over the weekend just gone. I'm on their mailing list.

I'm pretty sure I'll unload a few of my freeride boards like the DT and EA. Both really great boards in mint condition and I know I'll sell them pretty easy. I've just got too many boards now for the days I ride a year. I think it will be probably hard to beat the LL Mystery for sheer performance.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Sounds like it won't be too much longer before our PM, Scotty from Marketing will relax lockdowns/social distancing in Au and get our winter back on track.

·
541 Posts
They said they just got their shipment for 2021 Burton gear in today.
Yeah I've seen emails from the regular shops saying they're expecting gear over these next few weeks, also that they aren't expecting as much stock as originally planned. Not sure whether that's driven by suppliers, or the shops themselves or both.

·
541 Posts
Sounds like in won't be too much longer before our PM, Scotty from Marketing will relax lockdowns/social distancing in Au and get our winter back on track.
Yeah I think you're right, but I'd still expect border controls to be in place for a while longer so won't help me 😢
Also heard whispers that Aus and NZ may look at opening borders across the ditch but would expect that will be on the back end of the season.

Fingers crossed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts