Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of picking up a 2020 Super 8 163. Seen a lot of rave reviews about it, some feedback that gives me pause (particularly about a soft nose) but my local shop guy told me they stiffened it up a bit for 2020. Anyone ridden a 2020 versus earlier?

Me: 210 lbs, ride Tahoe, generally rides fast and hard, but increasingly focused on good carves at speed rather than just going straight these days. Looking for pow whenever I can find it, but if it's a big day I'm probably on a pow-specific board unless I'm travelling. I'll putz around on the park a little bit, but generally do anything more high consequence than straight-airs off 30 footers or board sliding simple ollie-on rails.

Basically looking for something with a snow surf influence that I can still charge on and trust in firmer snow conditions. My current "daily driver" deck days are split between a 2018 United Shapes Cadet 162 and 2017 Rome Blur 162. The Cadet is my board when prioritize float and want a relaxed back-foot driven carve, the Blur is for when I want lots of edge and precision for bad snow conditions and being on edge at high speeds. I'm hoping to find a board that splits the difference between the two to consolidate the quiver a bit.

Open to suggestions. I'm looking for something pretty specific. 162-164 cm size, directional shape and flex, S-camber preferred but I'll consider rocker-camber-rocker, 7 or 8 / 10 stiffness, ~8.3 sidecut, 260+ mm waist, little bit of taper (5-10 mm), at least 124 cm of effective edge. Super 8 hits most of these, but has a bit less edge than I'd prefer and I get mixed signals on how stiff it is. The Cadet's nose sometimes folds on me when I push it on edge at higher speeds or jump in bumpier terrain in heavier snow conditions, and primary concern is I'd run into the same on the Super 8.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I don't think the Super 8 is what you're looking for. It's a great board, but it's not stiff. I haven't ridden the Cadet, but have owned a Blur, and it's quite a bit less stiff in the nose (and has a ton less camber) than the Blur. I'm comparing the 160 Super 8 from last season and the Blur 159 from a couple of seasons ago; owned them both at the same time. For reference, at that time I was 180-185 lbs.

Josh Dirksen rides a 163, FWIW, and I'd wager he isn't more than 180 lbs. I'm sure you've seen other clips of him riding, but I think from watching him ride and the behaviour of the board it's pretty obvious that it's not a charger. He made the Speedway for that. It's a really fun board, and I rode it on all terrain at Lake Louise, Alberta, but if you're looking for a stiff nose, the Super 8 isn't the answer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Direct comparison against the Blur is helpful. The shape is really enticing, but sounds like it's a little soft for what I'm looking for unless they stiffened it up substantially this season.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
All good. I keep getting the urge to pick one up again as the quintessential 'dad board' for the quiver, but there are still other boards that I want to try out. That said, next year's board isn't associated with any other branding like the past two seasons' boards have been, so that might be a good one to pick up...despite the deep discounts this season...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you might like the EJack or Mullair in the wide sizes.
Sidecut radius are a hair tight for my liking and I'm not a big magna-traction fan. Maybe actually riding them would change my mind but sight unseen I'd rather ride the Blur. But thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts