Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2020 vs. 2021 Rome Katana

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ek9max 
#1 ·
Hi all,

would like to check the difference between 2020 Katana vs. 2021 katana?
The only difference I could see is the ankle strap. Does it feel different? Any better? Lighter?
Also any other changes that I’ve missed out? As I’m not sure if I should get the 2020 at a sale or just get the brand new 2021 katana.

thanks!

#2 ·
I own both. The 2020 ankle strap is a tiny bit more flexible especially if you have a black one and it's a very sunny spring day. Weight is similar.

I use both and there's not much of a difference while riding. Both are great. If you have to choose, the older one is what I'd pick for freestyle if you're really boning out grabs. Other than that, I'd pick the newer one for the slightly better response. I would pay $10 more for the new ankle strap, max, mostly because it doesn't get as stretchy on those one or two spring days with the sun beating down.

The newer one also doesn't have the rubber band thing that pulls your strap out of the way, if that's important to you.

#8 ·
@drblast Thanks! But I think I'm the kind of guy that will get foot pain if my ankle straps are over tightened on the extensor tendonitis area... I think the 2020 strap is also lighter weight than the 2021 and more cush?
Sounds like the older straps might be for you. You'll probably love them and you don't have to tighten them down as much as you think. That's also true of the newer straps so if later you feel like you want a touch more response, you can pick up some of those. My Katanas seem to last forever so I franken-binding all sorts of stuff on them.

#9 ·
@drblast thanks for your advices! Appreciate them! I hope I’ll stop getting foot pain from bindings that resonates down to my planters foot fasciitis.... tbh I’m not an advance or strong intermediate rider but just a Low intermediate. I know many would say that this binding isn’t for me, but I found it at great value and thinks that I can grow into it even if I were to pair them up with a softer flexing board like the YES Basic to something stiffer in future. I personally feel it’s like a boots, comfort is more important and my previous arbor bindings kept giving me foot pain (found my comfort boots and definitely not the boots issue)...

what do you reckon about my skill level to this binding?

#10 ·
You won't have any problems. The only reason I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner is the price. But if that's not an issue it's a great binding for any level rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.