Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
❄ Brand: Burton (Family Tree)
❄ Model: Fish 3D
❄ Year: 2021
❄ Size: 161 (319.1/262/289.1)mm
❄ Profile: 3D Directional Flat Top
❄ Taper: 30mm
❄ Core: FSC™ Certified Super Fly II™ 700G Core with Dualzone™ EGD™
❄ Base: Sintered WFO
❄ Fiberglass Structure: 45° Carbon Highlights
❄ Sidecut Radius (m): 6.4
❄ Flex: Medium
❄ Effective Edge: 1145mm
❄ Stance Location: -50mm
❄ Weight Range @161: 180-260 lbs.+ / 82-118 kg+
❄ Price: $Au849.99 RRP ($US599.95)

20200613_072110.jpg

20200613_072219.jpg

So I placed an order in for '21 Burton Family Tree 161 Fish 3D as a replacement for my '18 Fish 161 which I sold at the start of the year. I really fell in love with the Fish after riding it for a few years in super deep Hokkaido even finding it a lot better than my Bataleon Surfer 159 as a number 1 powder choice. At present, stock numbers of these are really low in Australia as is the usual, so it's pretty critical to place an order in to get one allocated.

I plan on hopefully getting a bit of mountain time with this board in the next few months in Australia, pending the conditions and will consequently give some rider thoughts when this occurs. So this is really an initial walk through of the Burton Fish 3D 161 and to set up the thread.

Well out of the box the Fish looks pretty sweet. Feels really good under the arm and the weight feels pretty light. I placed her on the scales and she comes in at around 2900grms. Not bad really, seeing my Mystery Landlord 163 came in at 2500grms which would probably be the benchmark Burton is trying to achieve however the core of the Fish is no where near as light as the 500G LL Mystery so we're not in the same ball park here.

The Fish 3D has moved away from the central carbon stringer of previous generation to now having 45° Carbon Highlights like what is used on Custom/Custom X.

20200613_073125.jpg

A big thing you notice straight away on the new 3D fish is the slanted sidewalls which is sort of similar to what the Burton Vapor had going on in order to reduce thickness and a bit of weight in the board.

The texture of the topsheet is a satin finish with an ever so lightly spray effect texture. The colours and artwork by ITES look pretty good. I probably like it a lot better than the Jaws inspired '18 model.

20200613_072930.jpg

So the biggest change the 3D Fish has going on over previous generations is of course its 3 dimensional profile. I've taped up the contours on the base so you can get a good visualisation on just what Burton have done here to create additional lift in powder terrains.

20200613_073301.jpg

In the nose the 3D is split 50% through the middle and runs back to basically the end of the EE lifting up the profile slightly to each side. From here the lift arcs away from the middle in a sweeping crescent back to just forward of reference in the bindings. The base then returns entirely flat from here on into the tail.

20200613_073006.jpg

The tail has the same outline as previous years but has a lifted cavity which angles inwards from the tips of the swallow tail to roughly a point where the side edges start to radiate back towards the tail before joining together with a semi circular arc.

20200613_073151.jpg

You can see what Burton are trying to do here in order to give a best of a both worlds feel by keeping volume in the tail for stability but making the swallow tail so much more deeper than what is actually there. I suppose with deeper traditional swallow tails you essentially need to stiffen these tips with heavy carbon stringers to reduce unwarranted flex which consequently adds $$$ into the board.

20200613_073411.jpg

The Burton Fish logo in the centre has a cool very slightly elevated 3D feel and you can sense the animation with your fingertips as you run over the top of it.

20200613_073400.jpg

Pretty cool this little guy from the 60's ☮ near the tail.

So the Burton Fish 3D looks pretty damn good in the flesh. Really hanging to get her out on the mountain now and see how she compares with the traditional previous generations. Just praying that we get some big dumps here in Australia in the next few months.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Thank you. We are waiting for snow drifts, the first scratches and excellent tests.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Damn Craig, good rundown!!! Yeah, unfortunately despite Channel 7's reports that "this year is going to be a bumper season" (every fcking year is a "bumper season" according to them), this season is reminiscent of... 2016 in Victoria, if I recall?

2016 or 2017 -- I never actually bought a season pass, because it would drop 20cm's of snow, then rain a few days later... snow, then rain washing it away... rinse and repeat for the entire season.

This season feels like that.

Hope I'm wrong though - imagine: the usual poser kook fcks (I've got mates like that - poor planners, they bank their entire season on simply rocking up to the resort on a whim on day tickets, etc) are nowhere to be seen, neither are the folks who can't juggle annual leave vs. only being able to book on-hill days 7 days in advance (fair do's to them, that'd be tough), fresh groomed beginner and intermediate runs everywhere, and it's all yours....

Grrr I shouldn't have sold my Skeleton Key.

·
533 Posts
Damn Craig, good rundown!!! Yeah, unfortunately despite Channel 7's reports that "this year is going to be a bumper season" (every fcking year is a "bumper season" according to them), this season is reminiscent of... 2016 in Victoria, if I recall?

2016 or 2017 -- I never actually bought a season pass, because it would drop 20cm's of snow, then rain a few days later... snow, then rain washing it away... rinse and repeat for the entire season.

This season feels like that.

Hope I'm wrong though - imagine: the usual poser kook fcks (I've got mates like that - poor planners, they bank their entire season on simply rocking up to the resort on a whim on day tickets, etc) are nowhere to be seen, neither are the folks who can't juggle annual leave vs. only being able to book on-hill days 7 days in advance (fair do's to them, that'd be tough), fresh groomed beginner and intermediate runs everywhere, and it's all yours....

Grrr I shouldn't have sold my Skeleton Key.
If ever the resorts or state tourism departments needed a "bumper" year, it's this year.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If ever the resorts or state tourism departments needed a "bumper" year, it's this year.
Well, to be fair, it's already a bumper year for Thredbo - I'd suspect that plenty of peeps who'd bought season passes there, have had their loyalty "bumped" over to Perisher lol.

Are you locked into accommodation at Thredbo, for this season?

·
533 Posts
Well, to be fair, it's already a bumper year for Thredbo - I'd suspect that plenty of peeps who'd bought season passes there, have had their loyalty "bumped" over to Perisher lol.

Are you locked into accommodation at Thredbo, for this season?
Nope, I'm still going to have issues coming home as we still have 2 week isolation rules in place so haven't booked anything

·
Registered
682 Posts
I just bought the same deck for $420, I’m really surprised at how much different this new Fish 3D is compared to my ‘08 Fish, so I’d really like to hear your reviews on the new Fish.

For some reason Burton has always seemed to get their fish art messed up, I have a S-Rocker (remember those) 161 Barracuda, the deck is called a Barracuda but on the top sheet they have a Native American Indian Killer Whale painting ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 2015-16 graphic is my favorite of this board

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts