Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
B Custom 162, Superpig 158, Alchemist 164W, Orca 159, Big Gun 165, Protoslinger 160
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I don't exactly need a new directional hard charging freeride board that has a nice side cut for laying trenches, N+1 am I right?

at 230 lbs, I'm looking for something that comes in at least a 162 but preferably in 164+. I've found that I like the stability that comes with charging on a bigger board. Size 10 boots so doesn't have to be super wide.

Was looking at the Jones Flagship & B HH. Do they fit what I'm looking for? What else should I be looking at?

thanks team

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Tur Buteo… 162 gives you all the board you’d ever need. If you’re riding smaller terrain you could easily downsize to the 157. Or if you just wanted a more normal board.
The Buteo seems a awesome board but for us in North America it’s very expensive…. Between 950-1000$ Canadian with shipping, custom fees and everything…. It must be really good to pull the trigger

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Try something with a bigger sidecut, as you already have many that are in the tight-to-medium range.
  • Ride Commissioner or Smoke Screen, They have nice long open sidecuts that are awesome for opening it up on morning groomers. Same shape, different top sheet/layup. They get progressively wider as they get bigger so check the width. The Berzerker is a non-wide option with a smaller sidecut.
  • Korua Trenchdigger 165 has a nice open sidecut and isn't too wide. Many other Koruas also fit the bill so take a look.

Others:
  • Amplid Pentaquark. It only came in 158 and honestly is enough board for most ppl, but I heard bigger sizes are coming. Their antiphase dampening tech is awesome.
  • Nitro Highlander. Also comes with the antiphase tech but in a 164W.
  • Nitro Pantera. A lot more sizes to pick from.
  • Capita BSOD...

The picks are nearly endless in this category. Good hunting!

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Niche Maelstrom. I'm 200lbs, have the 163, it absolutely rips and the sidecut is perfect. A longer size would rip even harder. This board is a stiff and aggressive but still nimble beast of a board. No speed limit and it demolishes crud. Apparently also floats well in powder but I can't confirm that.

Similar boards I think it's way better than: Jones Flagship, Yes PYL, Gnu Mullair (older stiff C3 one)

·
Registered
Rome Crail
3 Posts
I was studying this very topic of a directional freeride deck last winter back and forth, as I'm pretty meticulous and love digging the info to the roots. I won't throw all the names at you, because as properly mentioned above, this could be an almost endless process.
Tur Buteo is one of those names I ticked the box at, but it is pricey not only in US but even in Europe. It is custom made, kind of, so pretty self-explanatory.
Telos BackSlash might be another option for you, Weston Backwoods could be another. Just study the specs and most of all, reviews, as from there you could gain important info about the board weight (like "too heavy") or base ability to hold under impact (like "too soft/fragile").

That said, I could only share the gem I decided to try (I still have several on my notes). That is a Rossi Sashimi. Looking forward to try it in proper conditions (i.e. pow pow pow!).

Happy quest to you!

·
Registered
B Custom 162, Superpig 158, Alchemist 164W, Orca 159, Big Gun 165, Protoslinger 160
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try something with a bigger sidecut, as you already have many that are in the tight-to-medium range.
  • Ride Commissioner or Smoke Screen, They have nice long open sidecuts that are awesome for opening it up on morning groomers. Same shape, different top sheet/layup. They get progressively wider as they get bigger so check the width. The Berzerker is a non-wide option with a smaller sidecut.
  • Korua Trenchdigger 165 has a nice open sidecut and isn't too wide. Many other Koruas also fit the bill so take a look.

Others:
  • Amplid Pentaquark. It only came in 158 and honestly is enough board for most ppl, but I heard bigger sizes are coming. Their antiphase dampening tech is awesome.
  • Nitro Highlander. Also comes with the antiphase tech but in a 164W.
  • Nitro Pantera. A lot more sizes to pick from.
  • Capita BSOD...

The picks are nearly endless in this category. Good hunting!

I'm looking hard at the commissioner.... I like the trench digger but the reviews make it seem like it can't handle pow that well. Sucks that they don't make a bigger Tfinder.

Pretty interested in the Amplid Sufari 161, would be interested in the Pentaquark if they made a bigger size.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was studying this very topic of a directional freeride deck last winter back and forth, as I'm pretty meticulous and love digging the info to the roots. I won't throw all the names at you, because as properly mentioned above, this could be an almost endless process.
Tur Buteo is one of those names I ticked the box at, but it is pricey not only in US but even in Europe. It is custom made, kind of, so pretty self-explanatory.
Telos BackSlash might be another option for you, Weston Backwoods could be another. Just study the specs and most of all, reviews, as from there you could gain important info about the board weight (like "too heavy") or base ability to hold under impact (like "too soft/fragile").

That said, I could only share the gem I decided to try (I still have several on my notes). That is a Rossi Sashimi. Looking forward to try it in proper conditions (i.e. pow pow pow!).

Happy quest to you!

Would love to demo a Backslash. Would like to hop on a Sashimi as well but I am 30lbs more than what the brands suggested weight is...

·
Registered
745 Posts
I ride a tailgunnner 166 and am close to your weight, i love it for a bigger board, its stable but still offers enough torsional flex to be nimble, my every day driver is a optimistic 158, I'm a huge fan of the size for my weight and the marriage of a shorter deck with a very long side cut, it rides like a 162 but without the extra material which is nice if you spend time in trees/ruts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love the shape of the tail gunner but imo that graphic is trash lol. I think the tail gunner could be what I’m looking for. Angry has a review of it dropping in August

·
Registered
745 Posts
Love the shape of the tail gunner but imo that graphic is trash lol. I think the tail gunner could be what I’m looking for. Angry has a review of it dropping in August
I'm not a huge fan of the starry sky myself, I got the previous years that was a tasty black matte with a gloss blue wave crashing across the nose

I'm 6'5 240 with a 11 boot and ride a ton of decks, for a larger deck the tailgunner would be near top of my list, I like the YES PYL as well if you want something longer, perhaps the 164W for your weight, how much setback to do you like? I'm looking to sell a K2 Team manifest 164W as it doesn't have enough setback for my liking, PM if you are interested

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I’d go something with a bigger sidecut as already suggested. For example the Commissioner/Smokescreen (I didn’t like the Commissioner for the 2-3 laps I had it for but it was a hectic busy demo day so need to really test it when possible).

If you go the Trenchdigger you can expect more backfoot drive than the rest (taper). Depends what you like but for sure differs from the rest.

Nitro Pantera (owned a 166) is a great groomer mass production board, the new version should be more pow-friendly. A nice big sidecut radius up to the tail where it tightens up very quickly.

The Flagship, Surfari, Pentaquark (ridden all) are also great boards but they either don’t have the proper size to capitalize on the intended use for our ~~200 lbs (Penta) or will overlap hard with your Alchemist 164W.

I had a chance to finally ride my friends’ Alchemist 163 at the very end of the season in mixed conditions and I probably had the best run of my life when it comes to a steep mogul field. My impression is that if you drive it from the front foot it feels like 9 m sidecut (it does have variable sidecut radii). It isn’t hard to handle at all but you can really push it at the same time. An excellent board.

I’ve ridden only the older Highlander 159 with the Antiphase and with the Power Pods and wasn’t impressed at all. I think the new one without the Pods should be way more smooth (without the Pods that would be similar sidecut to the Pantera/Suprateam/Banker etc.).

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nitro Pantera (owned a 166) is a great groomer mass production board, the new version should be more pow-friendly. A nice big sidecut radius up to the tail where it tightens up very quickly.

I’ve ridden only the older Highlander 159 with the Antiphase and with the Power Pods and wasn’t impressed at all. I think the new one without the Pods should be way more smooth (without the Pods that would be similar sidecut to the Pantera/Suprateam/Banker etc.).
I liked the ride of the 22 Highlander (without Power Pods I believe) but did not pull the trigger because of an injury, and now I want to test the new Pantera (among many others) before committing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts