Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
So they changed the Pantera? It definitely isn’t a pow board. More of a groomer ripper imo.
Yeah new nose and tail shape, but they lost the taper as well, I'd prefer to keep 3-5mm taper.

Rectangle Sleeve Font Sportswear Monochrome photography

I am very tempted on the 163 seeing as they still haven't made a larger Banker... Sidecut stays low 9s into mid 7s I think, definitely freeride and not pow but the big nose and half moon tail I'm sure it'll handle pow just fine as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,593 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’m kinda interested in the ’23 XV. Looks like a stiffer, harder charging Sashimi.

Rode a friend’s Sashimi…and their reverse directional flex (stiffer from nose->tail) felt pretty unique, and had a lot of fun on it.

The new XV does away with the serrated edges, and uses the same litegrip/tpu setup as the Sashimi, new core etc.

Only downside… (unless Evo/House are wrong).. it’s listed at $729.. that’s a $80 increase from last year…. And more than capita/jones/arbor/k2 freerides.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I’m kinda interested in the ’23 XV. Looks like a stiffer, harder charging Sashimi.

Rode a friend’s Sashimi…and their reverse directional flex (stiffer from nose->tail) felt pretty unique, and had a lot of fun on it.

The new XV does away with the serrated edges, and uses the same litegrip/tpu setup as the Sashimi, new core etc.

Only downside… (unless Evo/House are wrong).. it’s listed at $729.. that’s a $80 increase from last year…. And more than capita/jones/arbor/k2 freerides.
It’s a great board, got a few months on it this winter, 161 version, but should be same construction. Was really well tuned when I got it, if they do that on all boards, that’s some added value. Feels safe everywhere, and runs smoother than the old version. Glad to have it for the heavy spring snow and icy crust we had. Great edgehold, no chop. Can see the bamboo at the top of the sidewall, and the core with stringers through the base.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It’s a great board, got a few months on it this winter, 161 version, but should be same construction. Was really well tuned when I got it, if they do that on all boards, that’s some added value. Feels safe everywhere, and runs smoother than the old version. Glad to have it for the heavy spring snow and icy crust we had. Great edgehold, no chop. Can see the bamboo at the top of the sidewall, and the core with stringers through the base.
Sounds like you got the Black Ops (?)
Been side-eyeing that!

Comparable to anything you’ve ridden?
May just jump on that, can be had for reasonable price

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
black ops yes, go for it. besides the old xv flex (no mag makes it feel a bit different), stranda descender is pretty close, but you can feel some change in flex from nose to tail. jones flagship is even more towards the tail, and feel different. xv kinda feels like a dreamboard if you were running the long camber freeriders of the 00s.

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
Not quite the size you're looking for but if you're ever in CO, hit us up either here or the contact page and we'll get you on a Superposition. We plan to eventually add a big boi size, but haven't gotten there quite yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since we're on topic with Swedish boards, check out the Stranda Descender.
or any of the Stranda boards ! I would recommend the Cheater 170 which a very easy turner that holds a pencil line as long / or as tight as you want. It's very stable at speed and still floats well in pow. If your feet are 10+ look a the 170 W (275 waist) . It'll make you happy, especially when you look back and see that you've signed that last run. ;)

·
Registered
Korua Dart 160 | Bataleon Magic Carpet 156W | Lobster Aaron Schwartz (Party Wave) 148
11 Posts
If you want to leave trenches, definitely take a look at the Korua lineup. The Dart, Cafe Racer, or Pencil could all be really good options for you. I've got a Dart 160 and it took my carving to a new level. Only board I've ridden that came close was when I got to demo next years lineup of the Salomon HPS boards, the Wolle Nyvelt Fish was an absolute ripper

·
Registered
620 Posts
6', 210 lbs (220-ish on the high end). K2 Instrument 163 is my favorite daily driver I've ever ridden. Mellow enough to play around on, gnarly enough to hold up when I push it on most lines in Tahoe.

If I was going balls out all the time, I'd probably go for an Alchemist. Too heavy duty for me as an everyday driver, but that's the board I'd grab if I was looking for serious lines or speed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love resort backcountry/side country, just went down the rabbit hole after moving back West. I’m 6’5”, 200lbs, athletic but haven’t ridden a lot in the last few years. Previously I rode a 165 Ride timeless - thing was stiff as steel and flat. I thought I wanted very stiff but late season realized, maybe not so much. I basically buy a board, ride a few times and keep it or resell it at a minor loss and chalk it up to demo fees. Also realized I prefer camber to any rocker - better for landing and edge hold in my opinion. I tried the Golden Orca, Jones Statos, Gnu Banked country, ejack, Weston Ridgeline. Stratos 165 was used on a trip that was basically ice everywhere - sucked bad. Also, that board is for BIG mountains. Grabbed a Golden Orca 161 - noticeable upgrade in ice hold but didn’t like the profile in jumps and landings. Grabbed a 160w ejack - loved it but realized it might be too stiff. Grabbed a Banked Country on sale - meh, just not for me - I want bad but didn’t wow me. Late season I grabbed the Weston Ridgeline - here is where it got interesting. 1) I like longer boards, it was a 166w and floated perfectly 2) I like medium flex boards, I could really manipulate the length in trees, pop jumps, just make it do what I wanted. Now, a lot of that has to do with my leg strength and just returning ti the sport. What I learned- for me - medium flex longer board over stiffer volume displaced all day long. That being said, I’m currently eyeballing a 165 Dynamo, 165 Yes PYL, Capita 165 BSOD, Jones Aviator 2.0 163w, Libtech BRD and Capita Mega Mercury 161. This year will be mostly Meadows backcountry so I need a floater that can handle ice up top and move through trees. Oh, I also had a Jones UMT - way to stiff for me. From last season I kept the Ejack and Ridgeline.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The Slash Straight can handle any mountain and speed you throw at it, but maybe in a more nimble/playful style than you would like. It's a super versatile deck that is deceptively stable and grippy, but doesn't srceam "stiffness". I'm definitely considering getting a new one or trying the Vertical (but It think I want it in split).

Amplid surfari could be your thing (I'm definitely eying one too…), k2 alchemist too. From Rossi, the Shashimi isn't such a charger, the XV is most likely what you want (although I find it lacks fun…) or the Juggernaut (won the FWT, should be enough!). A bit more all-mountain you can check the Sickstick 162 (although I'm smaller and lighter than you are), the Iguchi pro camber or the new Amplid Singular (the Creamer would have been your thing, but its out apparently…), Nidecker Megalight…

·
Registered
84 Posts
I grabbed a Capita Mega Mercury 161 and a Capita BSOD 165w. I will say this, compared to my beloved Ejack, they have zero camber. I can put a stack of 4 quarters under the Ejack - which supposedly even has rocker in the center (it doesn't). The Capita boards are almost dead flat. They are softer than the Ejack, though I have heard this year they softened it up. Now to track down a Jones Aviator 2.0. Maybe I love heavy camber?!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts