Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm celebrating this upcoming season being my 25th year on a snowboard. I started at the age of 11 back in 1988 on a Black Snow Legend but quickly moved onto a Kemper Freestyle at Chrsitmas because I needed metal edges to go to the resort. We were only allowed to ride on the right side of the chairlift that year, and were not allowed on the t-bar. That changed the next season and they actually built a small park for us because it was growing so fast.

Now look at it!!

I'm pretty pumped for this season and I'm proud to still be riding, I always said I would snowboard for life... well I'm doin it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow! You are really cool! Congratulations! I wish you to enjoy even more seasons than you already had!

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Next season will be my 25th season on snow (started skiing.) Unfortunately I didn't start snowboarding until 10 years ago. I am constantly reminded by every 12 year old than can shred how much better I would be if I started riding 10 years earlier...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuck me 25 years. I've been doing this a long time...
I know right? When a 12 yr olds at the park asks me how long I've been riding, they can't even comprehend haha. Even when 22yr olds ask me, it's still older then them... I don't really feel old though. I'm 36, but I kinda feel 22 so it's only when I say the numbers outloud that it really registers.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts
:eusa_clap: to both of you quarter century riders :thumbsup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
:eusa_clap: to both of you quater century riders :thumbsup:
Quarter? ha.

Shit, congrats to you guys. I've only been riding the past 5 years consistently. I rode on and off as a teenager. My son's totally going to start young, as long as he doesn't take after me he might be something special!

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts
1/4 century.. jesus. It sounds bad when you say it like that.
Haha, yes. I know that feeling from horseriding. When teen girls at the stable ask how long I've been riding (>30y) they say flattering things like "gosh, you're THAT old?".
As you mentioned, they can't handle that number ;) I couldn't as well when I was a teenager, I used to think life's aver after 30 :D

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
Next season will be my 25th season on snow (started skiing.) Unfortunately I didn't start snowboarding until 10 years ago. I am constantly reminded by every 12 year old than can shred how much better I would be if I started riding 10 years earlier...
well, its part of it... but i'm just always amazed at how far the sport has come and how gnarly shit has got.

if i was as good at 14 as i am now i'd have probably easily been sponsored but at this point in the sport everthing is so huge - freshman on the local JV high school snowboarding team are better than me

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, its part of it... but i'm just always amazed at how far the sport has come and how gnarly shit has got.
This. Everyday I'm out I see 11 yr olds doing shit that in 92 would have made the cover of transworld, now its just what it is.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Congrat's, next year will be 28 for me, it sure doesn't seem that long. My 19yr old has 15yrs riding that's the number that makes me feel old for some reason.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Standing sideways for 29 years

When we started, BAKER was only open on weekends (3 feet fresh every Friday) and boarders could only ride two runs, until you could prove to a ski patroller that you could turn both ways and stop, then you were given a photo I.D. card that let the lifties know you were allowed to ride the rest of the mtn.

Stevens pass on the other hand said "NO, ABSOLUTLY NO ON WEEKENDS, WEEKDAYS ONLY". I was told one day after Thanksgiving, to get off of the chair, no boarders allowed on holiday's.

Now look how all of the money hungry resorts love us

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm celebrating this upcoming season being my 25th year on a snowboard. I started at the age of 11 back in 1988 on a Black Snow Legend but quickly moved onto a Kemper Freestyle at Chrsitmas because I needed metal edges to go to the resort. We were only allowed to ride on the right side of the chairlift that year, and were not allowed on the t-bar. That changed the next season and they actually built a small park for us because it was growing so fast.

Now look at it!!

I'm pretty pumped for this season and I'm proud to still be riding, I always said I would snowboard for life... well I'm doin it.
Same story as you pretty much. Black Snow Legend for x-mas of '88 then to a Kemper Freestyle that I think was a 165. Riding that thing at like 100 lbs took real work. We could go on any run but the ski patrol had to take you to the bunny hill and have you do a toe side, heel side and stop before they would certify you to use the hill.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Love this stuff.

I became a convert last December... y'all been in the game since I was a toddler!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts