Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cygnus X1
I thought this was a leap year joke but then I googled and apparently it's a limited board. Has anyone heard of what makes this thing so special or even ridden something like this?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I believe the price comes from the installed flux compensator.

seriously: some manufacturers use those models in order to test new tech and materials. or they like to show off what kind of board they could develop if they weren't bound to keeping material cost low. usually you find most of the stuff (if it works) in the shelf models one or two seasons later. kind of like the burton method or concept cars.

if you think about buying one, I wouldn't do it. the advantages don't justify the cost.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you read the specs its made by elves its gotta be badass lol! Seamless self-healing one piece bio polymer sidewalls were imported by the elves and poured by Olson himself. It fixes itself too!

·
Registered
889 Posts
apparently it gives it more float in the pow, something about being lighter....
Yes, now that makes sense. I can't believe it took until 2012 to realize such a great utilization for that scarce resource.

Now it makes me think it could be worth the $2,000 pricetag.

·
Registered
230 Posts
They are built for people with a lot of money that want to spend it. They are each built by Lib's top builder and he only wants to make a certain number and the price point is set by the demand for that limited number. Supposedly they doubled the price because demand was too high for the quantitiy they wanted to make. I'm sure it is a nice board but it's like everything, people will pay for exclusivity even if performance gains are marginal.
Coming from the world of road biking it is amazing that a recreational cyclist will pay 5K-15K on a road bike that might be a litle lighter and and responsive.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree people will pay a premium for something that not everyone has, and thats cool if you have the cash to waste more power to you. I haven't ridden it nor do i know anyone who has but i would imagine that it rides pretty much on par with a trs, t rice, skunk, etc etc. Just to point out the obvious it won't make you ride any better than if you spent $200 on a different board. even if it is made with unicorn farts and piss.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
It's boards like this one that make me question everyone who thinks the big boys are actually riding production sticks

·
Registered
778 Posts
Milo let me ask a fairly nieave question then, if they don't ride production boards what would the difference be? I only know 2 pros personally and they both ride production boards one rides lib the other DC, but from what I've been told by them they just tell them how many they want and they are shipped to them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
everyone is wrong it's all about the "Kung Fu grip" :laugh:
I take it the "Fu" stands for "fuh-get you" :D? Anyways... as my brother says, the Flows and the Cygnus are for people with "f*** you" money. "Performance be damned... I want to make a statement". Of course, all this is lost on a redneck like me. What do I know, I ride a Rossi :eek: and like it too!

Moral: Ride a board that's so crappy no one else wants it, and you'll be just as exclusive :dunno:.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm sure it would pair great with these:

Flow 24 Real Snowboard Bindings Men's Snowboard Bindings Reviews & Sale | trusnow.com

Both of these products share one thing in common - they're designed to target people with more money than sense.
wow, I have not seen those before. They aren't really even pretending it's about performance with those bad boys. They come right out and say it's for turning heads and making a statement. It makes a statement allright, but not a statement you really want to make on the hill.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts