Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does life just always try to stack the cards against me? I'm looking at double ankle surgery to repair a completely fused left ankle and a partially fused right ankle, talk about the shittiest of luck, but it is really cool to see the x-rays and look at the obvious bone spurs. This will be the 4th non-snowboard related surgery in my life. (will upload pictures by June when I get the operation.)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good luck. I've had surgery on both ankles to remove burn spurs, chips and scar tissue from major sprains from basketball. Fused ankles sounds a bit gnarlier than that :laugh: The surgeries just come with doing the things I enjoy so fuck it, I'm not gonna sit on the couch all day. Luckily no serious injuries in 20 years of skiing and 1 year of boarding so far *knock on wood*

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
BigAL that's how you hurt your ankles...got to be honest didn't think you looked like that.

Was the designer pissed you ruined their show?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
double suck...with rehab how long are the docs predicting you're laid up?
The doctor is giving me anywhere from 5-8 months so it looks like my next season could be over. *sobs violently*

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
at least you have a chance by the end of the season. several years ago i got hit by a van while i was in a crosswalk. it sucked, my first season in CO, i bought my epic local season pass on my bday (nov 1), and got hit nov 4...pass was useless.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That Came out of my Leg, Cool.

*Viewer discretion is advised*

Well finally had my surgery today and currently experiencing a form of the "munchies" and eating $30 of Moo Shu (V). I couldn't believe that was hiding in my ankle which is also the reason that backside spins hurt.

It's about 2.5cm of bone and flesh, enjoy!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
Hmnnnn, before you mentioned ot was 2.5 cm, I thought it looked a lot bigger. Hard to get any perspective in those shots. Where exactly was that located on/in your ankle?

I've had 2nd degree sprains mutiple times on both ankles. Ligaments have lots of calcium deposits from tears healing. On X-ray, it looks like I've got lots of buckshot in my foot! :laugh: I can feel a few of them just under the skin too.

Im fortunate tho in that, that condition does not seem to cause me any discomfort.

Wishing you a FULL & speedy recovery! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It actually was part of the ankle (I have my CT scan shots around somewhere) I has a literal fin sticking out of the posterior talus and a spur on the anterior that probably broke off when I crashed in March.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They let you take that home? Man. Talk about health code violation.
They put it in a sealed sterile jar, so I guess it's okay, but then again it is Wisconsin, "We'd let you take your removed pancreas as a gift". LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
What's the verdict from the doctor, they think getting those chunks out will help your ankles have more movement?

By the way the disclaimer was read waaaay after seeing the pictures :D Glad they are blurry!

Better take that rehab seriously and you'll have a kickass time when you get back on your board! I've had my fare share of injuries and the time off gave me time to think and set my priorities straight. Have had the best seasons the seasons right after my injuries!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What's the verdict from the doctor, they think getting those chunks out will help your ankles have more movement?
Right now it's looking good for me, but during surgery they had to move some tissue out of the way which stretched a nerve that controls sensation on the left side of the foot. Fortunately it wasn't cut and with good massages the nerve will be better. Looking at 4-6 weeks of PT and barred from getting back on the tramp for 2 months. My doctor t who is a rider as well (You know your doctor kicks ass when he/she snowboards) says I'll be riding again by December.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took my dog's testicles home after I helped neuter him...

Every time he acted up I would grab the jar, hold it up and say "These are MINE now, so listen up!"
I like the fact that there are now two people on this forum who are delightfully evil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts