Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So I've been snowboarding for about 6 years now and I've done 50/50 just fine on boxes at ski resorts.

A few days ago I decided to try my new board at a dry slope (because that's all we have until winter starts). Started going across the box and the board just slipped right out from under me on the heel edge. I felt like I was centered and flat like I've been on the other boxes.

I don't know if it was because:

A: Still new to the board (going from a rocker to a rocker-camber-rocker)
B: First time on the dry slope and may have freaked out near the end of the box because my board wasn't going straight and was afraid I wouldn't land flat
C. Also same with the above: the box seemed more slippery compared to how it is when I do it on snow.
C. Thinking maybe the position of the bindings had something to do with it? I have the bindings set back a notch because it looked like the toes were further off the edge (I'm still kind of a noob at this).
D. Because there was an audience/I was nervous so maybe I just wasn't thinking straight and may have leaned back slightly without realizing it.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips to correct this? I may just go back and try it with my old board since I was more successful with it.

Attaching picture of my bindings on my board to see if that's a possible issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you slipped out on heel edge it means your weight wasn't over the board.

Did the board rotate first? If so (assuming it rotated so you you were facing downhill) it's common to then lean back causing slipping out on heel edge

Unlikely bindings would make that much difference, but your boots should be centered as much as possible.

But you need to give yourself time to get used to new camber profile. I took a big slam on a pipe going from camber to rocker and not being used to the looseness yet. Take it easy and build up slowly

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you slipped out on heel edge it means your weight wasn't over the board.

Did the board rotate first? If so (assuming it rotated so you you were facing downhill) it's common to then lean back causing slipping out on heel edge

Unlikely bindings would make that much difference, but your boots should be centered as much as possible.

But you need to give yourself time to get used to new camber profile. I took a big slam on a pipe going from camber to rocker and not being used to the looseness yet. Take it easy and build up slowly

Thanks for the advice!

As long as my setup is good, I can go keep practicing :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi everyone!......

Anyone have any suggestions or tips to correct this? I may just go back and try it with my old board since I was more successful with it.

Game changer for me on Rails was to focus on the tip/end of the rail, DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR FEET...also speed is your friend..its kinds like a bike the faster you are going the less you will have to actually balance on the box... :embarrased1:

Everyone rides a different stance setup, mine even differs from board to board based on the type of riding im wanting to do, Its worth experimenting with everything even the extremes of the spectrum, you never know what might feel best...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Game changer for me on Rails was to focus on the tip/end of the rail, DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR FEET...also speed is your friend..its kinds like a bike the faster you are going the less you will have to actually balance on the box... :embarrased1:

Everyone rides a different stance setup, mine even differs from board to board based on the type of riding im wanting to do, Its worth experimenting with everything even the extremes of the spectrum, you never know what might feel best...

Good advice! Thanks!

Yeah I definitely was going slow, but I couldn't have avoided that because I was on a short beginner dry slope and I went straight the whole way to the box. Maybe I'll just have to wait until winter :laugh2:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good advice! Thanks!

Yeah I definitely was going slow, but I couldn't have avoided that because I was on a short beginner dry slope and I went straight the whole way to the box. Maybe I'll just have to wait until winter :laugh2:
Naw..you just need to fall another 30-40 times you will get it! Just gotta put the work in...its an awkward thing to master >:)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Looks like everyone solved this but for going forward you should also know that when something goes wrong, you fall, etc. It will basically NEVER be your gears fault, it's yours. You'll see so many things here on tweaking setups, centimeters, centering, etc. While we all take about it like it's a big deal these are really tiny fine tuning things that won't make the difference between falling, getting a spin around or whatever. If you'r falling, under rotating, slipping, it's your fault and your technique.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts