Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well im going snowboarding for the first time this weekend and its for my bday so instead of getting me a bunch of stuff my family got me a bunch of snowboarding gear lol. I will be getting a board after i go a few times and get used to snowboarding. But anyway I got a new 686 Jacket, Pants, and a bunch of other gear :). I was wondering if it was a good brand??? may be a stupid question but as i said its my first time lol.

·
BoardTard Xtrordinair
1,476 Posts
Yes you have quality shit. You should be quite happy. Check the waterproof rating on the tag. If they are 10,000mm or better you should be fine unless the snow is really wet (warm day, heavy snow etc.)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the jacket is 15,000mm waterproof • 10,000gm breathable, and the pants are 15,000mm waterproof • 10,000gm breathable, so i guess im a g lol jk.

thx for the help

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really? awesome lol to bad ima look like a complete idiot all fitted in nice stuff then fall on my ass a couple thousand times, aww well my friend is coming so it'll be fun sucking together...no homo

·
BoardTard Xtrordinair
1,476 Posts
Well you won't look like that much of an idiot when you get home with a dry set of pants on. Learning is when you take the biggest beating so you might as well have good equipment.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
true lol, i would deffinetly rather have good equipment and suck then have bad equipment and suck lol....but yea it'll still be fun and im used to riding the "wave board" or "rip-stick" which from what i've heard is very similar to snowboarding. I've been wakeboarding and skateboarding all my life so I know how to balance on a board but i know snowboarding has it's differences so i'm just trying to prepare myself for having one sore ass lol.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
686 is very high quality stuff you'll be straight! Also may I suggest you invest in some ass pads or crashpants before you get up there this weekend. It will save you some of the agony of the first couple of days riding! Definitely the best $50 a noob can spend imo! I still wear them

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
686 is a pretty steep brand. i was fortunate enough to find one at a local shop that was having a huge moving sale and everything they had in stock was going for 50% off. i scored a 686 "ACE" series jacket. its the artist line they have. pretty sick art on it. i'll post the artists name when i get home, maybe some pics too. CONGRATS on your new gear.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the mannual militant pants and they are awesome pants

btw, does anybody know what 686 stands for?!?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i don't know what it stands for lol. But here are the picks of my gear that I could find online (i don't know what all of the brands are cus its packed away but here is what I know lol)

Jacket:

Pants:

Goggles:

what do you guys think of the style itself? also are the goggles good?

Heres what it said on the website of the store I got it
The Oakley® XS O snow goggle offers a smaller fit with a comfortable double-layer of face foam and a flexible urethane frame construction. Lexan® lens material provides scratch resistance and better optical clarity a textured interior surface helps to reduce glare.
the goggles and gloves that I got I can't find online.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the artist is name dez and here's a pic of the jacket i picked up.

·
BoardTard Xtrordinair
1,476 Posts
You should be happy! As far as style, I never worry about style too much, if I'm warm and dry and don't look like a goofball in pink pants and a bright yellow jacket, I'm stoked. Those goggles should be fine, my friend has a pair of Oakleys (not sure which model) and he said he'd take em over his Dragon goggles anyday, and as far as I've read Oakley goggles have some of the best periphral (sp?) vision available.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^ good find!

I thought it would be an area code or some sort P.C for a possesion of a controlled substance but rather reading the history, it's manufactured from a good positive background! :thumbsup:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone know where i can find cheap 686 gear for women's?? i've been dyingg for 686 pants! the pants i have right now don't seem like they'll last me after this season.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whiskeymilitia or steep and cheap just had a run on 686 stuff not too long ago. might want to check sierra trading post, at one point they had some good prices on some 686 gear.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
I'm less than impressed with 686. My Lowrise Smarty pants were done after about 2.5 months as opposed to my current Sessions pants, which are rated lower than the 686 ones.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i just got back from my first time snowboarding and my stuff worked awesome. No snow or water got in and it was very comfortable. I obviously haven't had much time to do some major wipeouts, etc but i fell alot of times and they worked just fine for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts

That's what I'm currently wearing right now. Good thing I knew about whiskeymilitia before I started snowboarding. I got both for about 200 bucks. I've stayed pretty dry all season in them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts