Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had a go on the Leader Board last year. It felt like a beefed-up and more stable Dump Truck, but I didn't especially like the somewhat harsh ride on hardpack and felt that there were more capable freeride specific boards in my quiver. I didn't think it was really unique at anything, so I picked up the K2 Alchemist instead. Then the season had to be abandoned.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I had a go on the Leader Board last year. It felt like a beefed-up and more stable Dump Truck, but I didn't especially like the somewhat harsh ride on hardpack and felt that there were more capable freeride specific boards in my quiver. I didn't think it was really unique at anything, so I picked up the K2 Alchemist instead. Then the season had to be abandoned.
I really liked my DT 163. It was really brilliant in and out of the powder back to the lift bases. Just didn't have the edge hold of say a Custom when pushing it hard, but that is to be expected as it's a freeride board. Would you say being stiffer it can charge a bit harder on the piste. You sound like you didn't like the stiffness. What size did you ride/weight?

These Jap' guys do a review. It's not that super informative. They are pretty good riders but are testing it in the perfect powdery conditions.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I really liked my DT 163. It was really brilliant in and out of the powder back to the lift bases. Just didn't have the edge hold of say a Custom when pushing it hard, but that is to be expected as it's a freeride board. Would you say being stiffer it can charge a bit harder on the piste. You sound like you didn't like the stiffness. What size did you ride/weight?

These Jap' guys do a review. It's not that super informative. They are pretty good riders but are testing it in the perfect powdery conditions.

I don't mind the stiffness. Most of my boards tend to be north of 7 in flex. I meant that it was chattery and rough on the hardpack. I can see it coming alive on soft conditions but would prefer to be on steeper terrain than in the video, as this isn't really a shallow-hill ground trick board. It would excel on powdery steeps, putting its torsional stiffness and the solid tail to good use.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I don't mind the stiffness. Most of my boards tend to be north of 7 in flex. I meant that it was chattery and rough on the hardpack. I can see it coming alive on soft conditions but would prefer to be on steeper terrain than in the video, as this isn't really a shallow-hill ground trick board. It would excel on powdery steeps, putting its torsional stiffness and the solid tail to good use.
It's probably a board for snowy days with a little bit of depth.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Ended up grabbing a 166 LB (305.7/260/295.7/9.2 radius). Needed it for the waist width with my boot size. The RL and EE are a bit less that my Custom so should be a good size for me (25mm setback) as a Freeride Board.

A stiffer fast charging Dump Truck..., I'll welcome that.

Has a little bit bigger sidecut than my Custom but in powdery condition that's not really going to be that concerning for me.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
2022 Burton Custom

Rectangle Wood Wood stain Floor Flooring

Camber.

Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Floor Hardwood

Topsheet has a slight woodgrain textured effect through the white.

Rectangle Font Logo Paper Brand

A little bit of technical flair.

Rectangle Art Font Electric blue Paint

Normally not a really big fan of white boards. They look good when new but normally show a bit of age after a few years. However it looks a lot better in the flesh than what I was expecting.

Brown Wood Rectangle Material property Hardwood

Pastel yellow is sort of love or hate affair. The woodgrain stringer and "BURTON" look good. Weight @166W - 3500grms.

Wood Publication Font Material property Tints and shades

I was reading that with this year the '22 Custom art work is throwback to the Dave Downing original Custom designed from from a surfboard.

"Next season's graphic also had a hint of returning to the origin. A line reminiscent of the core material of a surfboard in the center of a white board. The graphic story features an authentic Ford Bronco and a surfboard. In fact, this graphic image is the story of the birth of the first CUSTOM. It was one of the developers, Dave Downing's ideal "snowboard with a mix of skating and surf style." Dave Downing is a surf bum that has chosen to be a professional snowboarder for surfing. Looking back at his old footage, you can imagine jumping oversized in the snowy backcountry and enjoying a tight tree run. Sometimes I speed up and give a spray. The style does not change even with compressed snow. Dave Downing" (translated from MoJane)

41 - 50 of 50 Posts