Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi y'all !

I'm "Snowblaze", from the Laurentians area of Quebec province. I have lots of friends who practices Skiing or Snowboarding and I don't. I would love to join them and have a blast but unfortunately I have no experience riding.

My initial plan was to buy basic equipment like a jacket, a helmet, gloves, goggles, etc but I would rent the snowboard, bindings and boots because I may not like the sport. If I don't, I can still learn skiing without having to sell the equipment I just bought.

I trusted my local sports goods store and they gave me plenty of advices regarding the equipment. I bought a matching pair of goggles and helmet from a company I don't remember the name. Giro I think. I have a brand new O'Neil jacket which I love; it's so light, comfy and hot !

So... now I'm down to skills. You cannot teach a dead bird how to fly that's for sure haha but there must be some tips and tricks about the sport. I watched the whole series on "How to snowboard" on YouTube, it was quite informative. I am a good 6'2'' tall fella and weight quite a hefty 250 lbs (muscles, muscles :)). I was wondering if learning would take a turn for the worst because of my shape... I am more prone to lose balance ?

I am trying to gather as much information as possible before I go on and ride when my local (5 min drive) mountain opens. We currently have a nice snowfall right now but it's not gonna last long enough; next Friday the snow will all melt down.

My friend promised me he was gonna teach me the basics of it, but I don't want to abuse. I want him to have fun and I don't think teaching could be fun, at all.

Thank you for your time, any input would be appreciated !

-Snowblaze.

·
Registered
451 Posts
you'll be fine. take a lesson, having friends teach you not only sucks for you... it sucks for them because they don't get to ride.

you'll all have more fun if you take a real lesson.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,458 Posts
Lots of marriages, friendships and relationships do not survive the "teaching" phase with sig. other! Pay a qualified instructor to do the hard and or frustrating parts of teaching. Then save the Fun of practicing those skills and riding for the friend or significant other!

You and they will enjoy time on the hill WAY more that way! Trust us on this!

Lessons, lessons, lessons! ;)

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,458 Posts
In Canadian - Eh, get a lesson eh.......
Lol! That's the same in "Yooper" too! (...Upper Penninsula coloaquial!) ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you are quite athletic you should be fine.

Nothing like giving it a go to be honest; you can watch all the videos on the videotube but actually experiencing it is a whole nother story

·
Registered
378 Posts
Buy some tailbone protection!

Big guys hit harder. You WILL go from standing to sitting on the ground many many many times, with force.

Skeletools would be my first choice, followed closely by Hillbilly buttpads

·
Registered
548 Posts
you have to visualize what your body has to do when it is on the slopes.

That is key.

After that it all equipment. (not really, but it helps)

Try a rocker board first. makes it easier .

·
Registered
756 Posts
Lol! That's the same in "Yooper" too! (...Upper Penninsula coloaquial!) ;)
I'm working with a couple from the upper peninsula, I always make references to them from that movie.

Escanaba in da Moonlight right?

Anyway,

Keep watching the youtube vids, maybe go once or twice and see how you fair, if not well get some lessons. They help if they're more than babysitter type that really isn't that interested in helping people.

Check around and make sure you get a good guy.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Lessons! Friends are shitty instructors, because half the time they are thinking about how much fun they could be having if they weren't helping your sorry ass down the hill ;)

but seriously... instructors are amazing.. even if its just 1 or 2 lessons to get the basics - its well worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of marriages, friendships and relationships do not survive the "teaching" phase with sig. other! Pay a qualified instructor to do the hard and or frustrating parts of teaching. Then save the Fun of practicing those skills and riding for the friend or significant other!

You and they will enjoy time on the hill WAY more that way! Trust us on this!

Lessons, lessons, lessons! ;)
You seem to be right. My friend wants to teach me but I will refuse, he's gonna be bored so much.

In Canadian - Eh, get a lesson eh.......

French Canadian - Obtenir une leçon!
"Prendre un cours" seems to be more accurate to be honest, eh! *chuckle, chuckle* :laugh:

Will definitely take lessons with a private instructor ASAP. I was wondering also if the K2 Brigade Wide is a good snowboard for newbies like me. Thanks.

-Snowblaze

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,458 Posts
I'm working with a couple from the upper peninsula, I always make references to them from that movie.

Escanaba in da Moonlight right?
Hahahhaha! Excellent! Don't let them kid you either! They do talk like that up there!! LOL!

Check around and make sure you get a good guy.
+1 :thumbsup: Just cuz they can ride, don't mean they can teach! If first guy not to your liking, not helpful or instructive? Ask for different guy/girl!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts