Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Adidas Acerra 10.5 vs Burton Kendo 10.5 Reference Photos FYI

1093 9
I know some are bummed that Adidas is exiting the snowboard market, mostly because their Tacticals and Acerras fit so well while having a crazy small footprint. Since I'm on the bubble between medium and large bindings at a US 10.5, I've always loved reduced footprints that let me stay in medium bindings. I recently snagged some new Burton Kendos on sale to try out since Burton (typically) has a reduced footprint and wider toebox.

Since this seems to be a popular topic, here are some photos of my 10.5 Acerras next to my new 10.5 Kendos for reference. I figure someone will find them useful during the inevitable move from Adidas. The two boots have nearly the exact same outer footprint length, with the Kendos being slightly wider overall. I don't have them anymore, but my 10.5 Imperials were even smaller footprint than the Acerras. I've heard the Adidas have a smaller footprint in smaller sizes and the Burtons are smaller in larger sizes. Looks like 10.5 is right around where they meet.

Fit wise, the Kendos have a pretty roomy toebox that's comparable to my Acerras with ~10 days on them. The Acerras have a tighter heel/achilles area and the Kendos feel just slightly wider in the pinky toe area.

Anyway, if you have any questions let me know!

Footwear Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Synthetic rubber Sneakers
Luggage and bags Automotive tire Outdoor shoe Synthetic rubber Bag
Grey Walking shoe Boot Outdoor shoe Work boots
Walking shoe Grey Synthetic rubber Personal protective equipment Tints and shades
Outdoor shoe Synthetic rubber Walking shoe Grey Flooring
Dress Sleeve Gesture Headgear Art
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
FWIW Adidas fit big, so the Adidas shell is likely effectively smaller with respect to foot size. I'm a half size smaller in Adidas than almost every other boot company (sz. 10 vs. 10.5), and that's a pretty common refrain.

I've heard higher end Burton (i.e. Ions) have even better "shrinkage" and are smaller in the same size, but comparable against half-size smaller Adidas.

I stocked up on Adidas. They fit my foot better than anything else I've ever tried. Got probably another 30 days left on my Tactical Advs, bought a set of Tactical Lexicons, and a barely used set of Acerras. That stock should last a good long time, and I'm hoping by the time I need new boots that I'll find something that fits me comparably well.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
I've never had much luck stocking up on boots and not using them, snowboard boots might be different but I've found the soles loosen right up when boots don't get used for long periods but that said, Adidas build quality and soles are awesome.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW Adidas fit big, so the Adidas shell is likely effectively smaller with respect to foot size. I'm a half size smaller in Adidas than almost every other boot company (sz. 10 vs. 10.5), and that's a pretty common refrain.

I've heard higher end Burton (i.e. Ions) have even better "shrinkage" and are smaller in the same size, but comparable against half-size smaller Adidas.

I stocked up on Adidas. They fit my foot better than anything else I've ever tried. Got probably another 30 days left on my Tactical Advs, bought a set of Tactical Lexicons, and a barely used set of Acerras. That stock should last a good long time, and I'm hoping by the time I need new boots that I'll find something that fits me comparably well.
Yeah, I'm a half size down in Adidas as well (I think you and I talked about this a lot on ez if you're the same Kimchi). I was just surprised that the Kendo's fit so well/similarly compared to the Acerras. The Kendos are essentially the same fit in the toes for me with the same footprint as the Acerra, only with a slightly roomier heel. I thought about stocking up on Tacticals since Sierra has them for $199 right now, but I decided to find something from a brand that isn't going anywhere instead.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That’s not true. My friend owns the new Ions and the Accera and compared both (10,5 US). Without taking into consideration the half size downsizing that is possible for most, the Accera is still 3-4 mm smaller shell in the same size.
I’ll ask for the photos from him.

This difference is the same regardless of the smaller or bigger sizes cos both Burton and Adidas have shells that are proportionally bigger with each half a size and scale in a linear manner.

Edit: 10.5 US Accera vs 10.5 US Ion, my bud said it’s 4 mm difference
Sports gear Synthetic rubber Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Sneakers

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That’s not true. My friend owns the new Ions and the Accera and compared both (10,5 US). Without taking into consideration the half size downsizing that is possible for most, the Accera is still 3-4 mm smaller shell in the same size.
I’ll ask for the photos from him.

This difference is the same regardless the smaller or bigger sizes cos both Burton and Adidas have shells that are proportiinally bigger with each half a size.
My 10.5 Imperials were definitely a smaller footprint than my 10.5 Acerras. I sold them before I could snap a pic, though. The 10.5 Kendos above are bulkier than the Imperials/Ions/Photons.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm on my third pair of Kendos, i've been riding them since they came out. They fit my gnarly feet well and I'd consider them mid-stiff. Got 90 days on the last pair, the shells are just falling apart and getting leaky. The previous pair had a warranty claim on the toe wrap area becoming unglued, which Burton stood behind, told me to ride out the season and they replaced them in the offseason at no cost and without downtime.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Exactly what I did:ROFLMAO:
I have two pairs Acerras and a Tactical Lexicon (which I probably will sell again though since it doesn't fit me as well as the Acerras). What makes the fit of the Adidas boots so unique is that they are wide in the toebox BUT still narrow in the ankle area aka exactly what my feet need.

They certainly have some more or less substantial weaknesses though (depending on the setup) but I just never tried on boots that fit my feet so well. I have wider feet (left foot E- width, right fit just borthering on E but still a D) coupled with narrower ankles (especially the right foot which unfortunately is longer).
I never knew that I actually had wide feet so I always had size 10.5 or even 11 size boots my whole snowboarding career when I actually need a 9.5. Adidas boots allowed me to wear the right size for the first time and it's simply amazing ( I wear size 9 Acerras).

What I noticed though in terms of footprint, you are not really saving anything since Adidas simply "sliced" the heel part off which would normally set the boot way back into the heelcup of the binding. So you only "gain" footprint in the heel where generally the heelcup is the limiting factor not the boot/heel itself. The toe- overhang is still ever so slightly less than a Burton ION (I had one in 9.5 to compare) but the bigger problem is that this creates a bad integration with the bindings (I have several different Burton bindings and some Union Contact Pros). So this fact results in the boot/foot being positioned more forward than usual, combined with the pretty thick midsole (which provides absolutely amazing shock absorbtion btw), this can create problems with the ankle strap pushing down on the ankle/metarsal.

It's still the best boot I have ever had though, it's just a shame that Adidas exited the business :( They probably only needed 2-3 seasons to make the perfect boot (for my feet).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts