Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Want to try double positive stance coming from a +1215 -3 duck as quickly as possible (i.e., don't want to spend a large portion of the day creeping my stance angles up by 3 degrees over several runs). Any tips?

I'm mainly curious as to how ++ riders prevent the board from sliding out due to the shoulders and hips being more open. Won't this body position naturally cause the back foot to slip out from beneath you?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try +24 +6 I find it to be very versatile. I can land switch no problem (well no more problem than usual lol). I dont notice the board every slipping out. But I rarely flatbase, even traversing flats its best to engage an edge...
Do you find that bending your knees feels way different? Bending knees with duck stance feels akin to a sumo squat, whereas bending knees in a forward stance feels more like kneeling, with the majority of my weight on my back foot.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
When you change the rear binding to a forward angle you should focus on your hips. Note how the angle of your hips changes as your back foot angle changes, try to imitate your original hip position with your new foot position.
Usually pushing your front hip toward your toe edge will square you up again but once you ride like that for a while it will become automatic.

You can learn all of this in your living room, I like to hold a broom stick to my hips as I change rear foot angles as it highlights the changes.

And yes as you squat your weight shifts to the back which is very handy and automates the job of weighting the back of the board. If you move your hips as if you were hula hooping (anti clockwise for natural riders) you will make fast progress.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Want to try double positive stance coming from a +12 -3 duck as quickly as possible (i.e., don't want to spend a large portion of the day creeping my stance angles up by 3 degrees over several runs). Any tips?

I'm mainly curious as to how ++ riders prevent the board from sliding out due to the shoulders and hips being more open. Won't this body position naturally cause the back foot to slip out from beneath you?
Sliding out how?

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Be sure to adjust your stance width in from what it is duck. A wide ++ stance is very uncomfortable.

You can do this all in your living room. Find a stance and set of angles that feels good when you strap in and bend your knees.

When you get to the mountain you will find riding forward and carving much, much easier. There's very little learning involved. The learning comes if you want to ride switch or ollie or jump because those things feel weird.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sliding out how?
My guess is that he stopped shifting weigh rearward when he felt the weight at his rear toe, you have to learn to let your weight pass through to the heel
I guess it's just me catering to lazy riding, in my normal duck stance.

I was referring to how when in duck stance, the tail starts to slide out when flat basing if my shoulders and hips aren't in alignment with the board, which is generally how I get off the lift, navigate narrow runs/cat tracks. If I'm actively on an edge, then that doesn't happen.

Although, I'm guessing that this "sliding out" is a result of my shoulder/hips opening up, and subsequently pulling my rear leg forward due to them being in a duck stance. This might end up being a non-issue if my legs are already in a ++ stance angle though, which by nature accommodates an open hip/shoulder position.

Be sure to adjust your stance width in from what it is duck. A wide ++ stance is very uncomfortable.

You can do this all in your living room. Find a stance and set of angles that feels good when you strap in and bend your knees.

When you get to the mountain you will find riding forward and carving much, much easier. There's very little learning involved. The learning comes if you want to ride switch or ollie or jump because those things feel weird.
In your experience, how much has your stance narrowed? I'm a 32-33'' inseam.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I noticed that in some videos I've watched (Korua's Y4T and Toy films), ++ carvers get really low, but their asses are super high. Not sure if that's ideal; though it seems that duck stance allows you to get lower by squatting, whereas ++ is feels more naturally like kneeling, and then bending the rest of the way at the hips.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Go push around on a skateboard and do some carves in a +/+ stance, will get you a general starting place anyway. I mean I wouldn't suggest +12/-3 for a duck stance but you would have got there after tweaking for a bit.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Although, I'm guessing that this "sliding out" is a result of my shoulder/hips opening up, and subsequently pulling my rear leg forward due to them being in a duck stance. This might end up being a non-issue if my legs are already in a ++ stance angle though, which by nature accommodates an open hip/shoulder position.
Riding with an open shoulder used to be one of my bad habits when I was duck stanced. Now it's just part of my riding. I should have been rocking a ++ stance all along- it's how I grew up skateboarding. I'm probably never going to ride duck again. It always hurt my back knee and my body felt unaligned. All of our bodies are different. Play around and find what works best for you. I still use about the same stance width that I used to; maybe I should narrow it? Whatever, I'm more comfortable on my board than I've ever been.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Also, I noticed that in some videos I've watched (Korua's Y4T and Toy films), ++ carvers get really low, but their asses are super high. Not sure if that's ideal; though it seems that duck stance allows you to get lower by squatting, whereas ++ is feels more naturally like kneeling, and then bending the rest of the way at the hips.
It's pretty easy to do that style of toe turn with a ++ stance. You've just got to get low instead of petting the dog. I feel like it's not nearly as stylish as riders who can get their hips close to the snow on toe side. I've been practicing both styles. Really, the first style just happens pretty naturally, and I need to focus on getting extension in my hips to achieve the latter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Go push around on a skateboard and do some carves in a +/+ stance, will get you a general starting place anyway. I mean I wouldn't suggest +12/-3 for a duck stance but you would have got there after tweaking for a bit.
Sorry, meant +15. Edited the OP

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Want to try double positive stance coming from a +1215 -3 duck as quickly as possible (i.e., don't want to spend a large portion of the day creeping my stance angles up by 3 degrees over several runs). Any tips?

For Q1: just go +24 +3 and ride it the whole day. Then go +24/+27 +6 the next time you go out and stick with whichever you like best, or adjust based on what you liked or not from the 1st day. In other words... if you don't want to adjust mid day... just go with a setting that's not too extreme so you can ride it all day.

For Q2: why are you PRE-worried about the back foot "naturally" slipping out for using a ++ stance? Has it happened to you??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For Q1: just go +24 +3 and ride it the whole day. Then go +24/+27 +6 the next time you go out and stick with whichever you like best, or adjust based on what you liked or not from the 1st day. In other words... if you don't want to adjust mid day... just go with a setting that's not too extreme so you can ride it all day.

For Q2: why are you PRE-worried about the back foot "naturally" slipping out for using a ++ stance? Has it happened to you??
Noted.

Regarding Q2, I'm just neurotic I guess. I've caught many edges while learning how to ride w/ duck stance because my shoulders/hips were opening up, thought it'd be the same result when going ++.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Interesting re the stance width needing to be less than riding duck. I ride 1 hole in from the outside and when I tried that facing both feet forward I wasn't a fan and flicked it. Perhaps on a carving day if I ever get snowboarding again I should try closer and feel the difference as I note the boss carvers tend to face both feet forward.

Reactions: Craig64

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I guess it's just me catering to lazy riding, in my normal duck stance.

I was referring to how when in duck stance, the tail starts to slide out when flat basing if my shoulders and hips aren't in alignment with the board, which is generally how I get off the lift, navigate narrow runs/cat tracks. If I'm actively on an edge, then that doesn't happen.

In your experience, how much has your stance narrowed? I'm a 32-33'' inseam.
Try this, get your front hip toe side and rear hand in your back pocket. I guarentee you will square up and I also bet you get better control when you skate off the lift.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts