Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have size 12 US/11 UK feet (I wear Burton Photon wides).

There are a number of boards out there that I'd like to buy, but many of them only have standard width sizes, which means either I don't buy them or buy longer length boards to try to accommodate. However, I'm the kind of person that prefers nimble boards to be as short as I can get away with, if possible. Ideally I would ride a 157-159W kind of length, and would, if possible not have to settle for 162 regular width boards in order to get that extra width.

However we all know that waist width isn't the ideal way to judge board widths as it depends on your stance/setback, sidecut and the width at the insert pack etc. We just have to make do using the waist width as a surrogate.

Other than actually trying the board (which I don't have the option to do with where I live and the snowboard shops around me) what is the best advice people can give for this issue?

I know for example that if I find a board with a waist width of 260 that it will be fine, even if I want to carve well. But a number of boards that I like come in at 255-258mm and that seems a lot more borderline and difficult to judge. Ones I'm currently looking at are the Signal Yup, Capita Kazu and BSOD, none of which have wide sizes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Capita BSOD comes in wide this year.
Fair enough, that's good to know - I won't be spending £500-600 on a new board though so I guess the question still stands as more of a request to help with these standard size boards more generally.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check out the Marhar Lumberjack or the LJX (camber version) :love:

29 cm at the insert.

But it's not the same kind of board then the ones you are currently looking at but.... 29cm at the inserts :love:

·
Registered
287 Posts
almost all Arbor boards come in 157MW which is 260, Capita DOA has a 157W at 261, Jones same thing.... TONS of boards that come in at 157-159 with a 260 waist width. How do I know... I look for the same exact size. Recently picked up a Salomon Villain 155W and like that also, but not what your looking for. What your riding style?

Salomon assassin or any salomon board
Any Arbor board like Westnark camber or CODA
DOA 157W
Jones Mtn Twin 159W
mercury 159
Yes has a few I forget if its the Standard, basic, or typo
Yes The greats

·
Registered
627 Posts
If a board has no setback, no edge tech and a typical ~~ 8 m radial sidecut, the width at the reference is very close to 1/3 of the difference between the waist width and the tail/nose width added to the waist width.
The shorter the sidecut, the wider the board at the inserts. The more setback, the narrower the front insert pack and the wider the back one. Taper obviously makes the rear insert width narrower (so it does to the front one but to a lesser extent).
Edge techs can add the width (extentions like Griptech or Powder Pods) or make it even narrower (indentions like Underbite).

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I have bigger feet as well. Two things I do. I buy boots that have a low profile or small footprint. The other is I never buy a board with a smaller waist width than 260.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some good info in here, thanks for suggestions so far guys. Yeah I guess I'd rather get 260 width to be safe. Wondering what people think about 255 width board for size 12 (with Burton having decent footprint reduction in their boots) or is that too low to risk it? There's a sweet 2020 157 Kazu available pretty cheap online which is 255mm wide.

My main type of riding is groomers for general riding/some carving (though I'm probably unlikely to get super low or be great at Eurocarving given how little I ride each year relatively speaking) and also powder.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some good info in here, thanks for suggestions so far guys. Yeah I guess I'd rather get 260 width to be safe. Wondering what people think about 255 width board for size 12 (with Burton having decent footprint reduction in their boots) or is that too low to risk it? There's a sweet 2020 157 Kazu available pretty cheap online which is 255mm wide.

My main type of riding is groomers for general riding/some carving (though I'm probably unlikely to get super low or be great at Eurocarving given how little I ride each year relatively speaking) and also powder.
I have size 10 Adidas boots with reduced footprint and 255 mm is about as small of a waist width as I go.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I had a Kazu 157 2019. I was riding 10 US Tactical as well (297 mm boot length) before I downsized to 9,5 US now (Tactical and Acerra) and for a board that I rode more less 0 degree at the back foot it was also too narrow for me to Euro without worrying.
The Kazu in 157 is ~~266 mm at the back insert and that’s OK for me with 9,5 US (292 mm) if I ride a twin board at 15/-15 stance.
I prefer to keep the boot overhang below 10 mm each side (depends on the angles).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a Kazu 157 2019. I was riding 10 US Tactical as well (297 mm boot length) before I downsized to 9,5 US now (Tactical and Acerra) and for a board that I rode more less 0 degree at the back foot it was also too narrow for me to Euro without worrying.
The Kazu in 157 is ~~266 mm at the back insert and that’s OK for me with 9,5 US (292 mm) if I ride a twin board at 15/-15 stance.
I prefer to keep the boot overhang below 10 mm each side (depends on the angles).
Thanks for the info!

General riding, carving and powder? You know there's a whole load of shorter fatter boards designed for exactly that type of riding?
Haha yeah I have a Warpig and a (lesser extent I know) Korua Tranny Finder so I'm familiar! :)

Size 12 here. OP, Those boards are too narrow to carve.
OK, good to know. I guess I'll have to look at different boards or wait for some wide versions to be introduced in the future!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I've tried wide boards, I have bindings that have a high base... But the best thing for people with wide feet that want to get super low on their carves is a volume shifted board. I had a Yes 420 and now ride a Lib MC Steptail (which is now the Wayfinder) and I seriously love them. Obviously in powder they excel but they are better than you'd think on hard pack too.
Also you should check out the boot fitting threads because I'm willing to bet if you haven't you can probably drop a half size or maybe even more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some people have touched on it already but that 255 mm would be too small for a size 12 even w/ Burton's reduced footprint. The exception I've seen at times is people being okay if there is a bump out edge tech of some sort underfoot like Griptech from Arbor

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've tried wide boards, I have bindings that have a high base... But the best thing for people with wide feet that want to get super low on their carves is a volume shifted board. I had a Yes 420 and now ride a Lib MC Steptail (which is now the Wayfinder) and I seriously love them. Obviously in powder they excel but they are better than you'd think on hard pack too.
Also you should check out the boot fitting threads because I'm willing to bet if you haven't you can probably drop a half size or maybe even more.
Yeah I have a volume shifted board in the Warpig already and the T Finder is even wider. I know I’m safe with 260+ (Warpig is 265 and TF 269) but was trying to figure out if I could get away with 25-something to give myself more choice (I just think the Kazu boards are stunningly beautiful!). Obviously not!

I’ve already checked out the boot fitting thread and it allowed me to step down a full size from 13 regular to 12 EEE width (only Burton make this width boots so it meant I could size down a lot). Can’t size down any more though I’m afraid!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Yeah I have a volume shifted board in the Warpig already and the T Finder is even wider. I know I’m safe with 260+ (Warpig is 265 and TF 269) but was trying to figure out if I could get away with 25-something to give myself more choice (I just think the Kazu boards are stunningly beautiful!). Obviously not!

I’ve already checked out the boot fitting thread and it allowed me to step down a full size from 13 regular to 12 EEE width (only Burton make this width boots so it meant I could size down a lot). Can’t size down any more though I’m afraid!
In that case getting your feet up higher is your best bet, as it will give you a few more degrees of angle before you boot out. If your bindings already have a thick foot bed and gas pedals don't cut it either, you can try polyethylene risers, aka cutting board material under your binders to get a few more mm off the ground. Short of that it's adjusting your riding style.
I have a board in the 25's and I was on size 11's and even rode 13's for a bit because I got some flagship boot for cheap, and yeah you can get away with riding a 25cm waist with big boots but don't expect to do any euro carves. Even an 11 is far from ideal.
Shifted boards were the big game changer for me out of all the stuff I'd been doing for years to accommodate my clown shoes.
Once wide boots became more common I have managed to squeeze into some 10.5's and that also breathed new life into my reg and also wide boards.

·
Registered
178 Posts
2 seasons ago I was riding a burton Skelton key 158 with a 258 waist and size 13 boot it was doable but had times where I was getting drag. Demoed the 162 with the bigger waist and was much better

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
So I have size 12 US/11 UK feet (I wear Burton Photon wides).

There are a number of boards out there that I'd like to buy, but many of them only have standard width sizes, which means either I don't buy them or buy longer length boards to try to accommodate. However, I'm the kind of person that prefers nimble boards to be as short as I can get away with, if possible. Ideally I would ride a 157-159W kind of length, and would, if possible not have to settle for 162 regular width boards in order to get that extra width.

However we all know that waist width isn't the ideal way to judge board widths as it depends on your stance/setback, sidecut and the width at the insert pack etc. We just have to make do using the waist width as a surrogate.

Other than actually trying the board (which I don't have the option to do with where I live and the snowboard shops around me) what is the best advice people can give for this issue?

I know for example that if I find a board with a waist width of 260 that it will be fine, even if I want to carve well. But a number of boards that I like come in at 255-258mm and that seems a lot more borderline and difficult to judge. Ones I'm currently looking at are the Signal Yup, Capita Kazu and BSOD, none of which have wide sizes.
Hi Mountain,

STOKED that you are getting a new board! I see that you had size down above and had some success with that. Awesome. Could you post up your barefoot measurements? Board width is best determined by barefoot measurement, not boot size.

Please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi @Wiredsport , as per a previous thread where you helped me with sizing down my boot size (where I measured as you described above), my length is 30cm and width 11.5cm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts