Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently going into my third year riding and I would like advice on a new quiver killer. I am an advanced rider looking to get into double blacks this year at Alyeska. Though I'm stuck in Ohio for the early part of the season. I'm ~150 lbs and 6 feet even. My last setup was a K2 Brigade with Union Force bindings and K2 T1's.

I love to bomb groomers so stability and easy rollover are big pluses. Groomers where I ride are usually crisp and steep with little to no ice. Powder runs are usually rare until late February, so not looking for a dedicated powder stick, but some lift would be nice. Jibs and natural kickers are pretty common so reliable pop is a plus. Buttering isn't a large priority but something with enough flex to pop the occasional nollie pivot would be great.

I have spent a fair bit of time looking at the Ride Machete GT, the Neversummer SL, and the 2013 K2 Slayblade. But I'm feeling they aren't going to be playful enough to enjoy jibs or the occasional park run. Budget is around $500.

I realize that's a bit of a tall order so thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lib Tech's Burtner Box Scratcher, I hear from my buddy, is super stable, super fun. Granted this is more on the "freestyle" side, but it can kill the entire mountain. Plus you can find last years model close to $300.

Other recommendations for all-mountain-freestyle:

- Capita - Defenders of Awesome
- Yes - Jackpot
- GNU - Riders Choice

If you're looking for something more aggressive checkout:

- Yes - The Greats (Asym for 2014 model)
- NS - Proto HD
- Lib-Tech TRS

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch for that post, sorry this is almost a necro by now. I ended up checking out the Proto HD and the Box Scratcher, along with the new NS Evo 4. But I found an old 2012 Ride Slackcountry 161 on clearance and ended up buying it on a whim. I am thinking the rockered tips with a flat base will do me well for carving groomers but also being up for powder days in Alaska. I think I may pick up the Neversummer Proto HD at the end of the season if I can find one used or on sale, but for now I don't really have as much money as I'd like to think I do.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Solid budget.

Flow Era or Shifty, Signal Freedom Machine Camber, K2 Fastplant and Happy Hour, Salomon Villain, Time Machine, and Sabotage, Nitro Rood and Pyro, Arbor Westmark, Yes Jackpot and Greats, Bataleon Whatever, Goliath, or FunKink, Rossi TrickStick or Retox.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts