Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out this weekend to do some exploring....no resort, just a pair of slow-shoes (yes i know) and my board on my back....looking for some advice on building a kicker...anyone have any experience?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Picking a good spot is #1. I like finding a spot that's steep, then flatens out and then gets steep again. Build it back in the flat with a gap (however big you want) and then have the next steep as you landing.

This is a little exagerated but you get the idea:

Then your gonna want to pile your snow and start shaping. I like to use a bucket shovel that you can push like a front end loader but thats not easy to pack with you haha. This is gonna take a long time, you need to build/shape build/shape and pack it down... it takes a lot of snow.

Here's the key though. Once it's done do not hit it. Leave it for at least a few hours or even better leave it over night. The snow has to set or you will just crush it down or blast through it. The only exception is heavy wet snow, it can settle really fast when packing it down, still should let it sit for a while though.

You will probably still have to re-shape it a few times after the first few hits to adjust it and fix it up ect. Keep the transition really smooth, I like to shave it with my board from the top down holding my binding loops, best tool for the job.

Good luck! Hopefully some others can chime in with other tips.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I do believe that Snomie.com has an article on just this subject. I'd link it, but I'm lazy today. :p

·
Registered
947 Posts
I once spet a lifticket for a day of building a jump. In the edn it was shit. I refuse to build them, but if i see one pre made i hit it.

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
I once spet a lifticket for a day of building a jump. In the edn it was shit. I refuse to build them, but if i see one pre made i hit it.
Some resorts have special lift tickets for cross country. Lets you take a gondola and lift to get you out in the back country. Usually a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some resorts have special lift tickets for cross country. Lets you take a gondola and lift to get you out in the back country. Usually a lot cheaper.
I am doing this to avoid the resorts all together. plenty of mountains to play on in Kananaskis....

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
A few things I have learned:

- location, need a solid approach speed, and good steep but soft landing
- lots of snow, build in bigger than you think
- pack the shit out of it, add a layer, repeat
- sunny days help melt the snow a bit and it packs better
- make a solid transition

Love to hear more tips, I am so so at it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Isnt it bad luck to hit someone elses kicker??

As for the jump building, If you can find big chunks of hard snow like fallen cornices or snowplow crud, use them for the bones of the jump and pack loose snow around to fill in the jump.

And you might want someone else to be there with you in case you hurt yourself. Def bring your woman with you to shovel, carry shit, and take pics...:laugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts