Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all! I recently came back from a 5 day snowboarding trip, during which I have experienced quite bad foot burning pain on the bottom of my feet (internally). How long it last varies, and sometimes it goes away the more I persevere through, if not I just have to stop and rest for a good 20-30mins which is a deal breaker for me.

I did read some threads here on how some people manage it and manage to solve it by cutting out some part of the inner liners etc... I did not cut mine, but I tried padding and creating a gap to see if it works, but to no avail. Please see these images the indication of my foot burn plus some red marks. Any advice would be appreciated please :)
White Gesture Red Thumb Human leg
Sleeve Waist Gesture Bag Finger
Leg Knee Sportswear Thigh Floor

Leg Comfort Wood Grey Floor
Comfort Human body Gesture Barefoot Sky

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guessing by the pics of the top of your feet, your boots are too big and you're cranking the ankle straps of your bindings down to take up the slack in the boots which is cutting off circulation to your feet.

Best solution, buy boots that actually fit your foot (They'll feel too small when you try them on but should have even pressure around your entire foot)

Cheaper solution would be to find a boot fitter who can take up some of the space in your boot.

Even cheaper solution...try buying some thicker insoles to take up some space in the bottom of the boot.

Cheapest solution....get busy with some foam and the duct tape.

Remember, the boot holds the foot tight. The binding holds the boot.
Thanks @vodkaboarder! The image of my foot is just tried on with socks and the boots at home for 15minutes. I did not try with bindings then. The boots already caused red marks on the top. Also while cranking on the ankle strap, I did loosen it a little. I'm not sure if the cause for my foot burn is caused by blocking the top part of my nerves. My boots is not too big for me, as I followed @Wiredsport advice that my Mondopoint is 266mm and 265mm which makes me 270mm mondo which is US9. Though he recommended Salomon Dialogue Wide for me, I couldn't find any and settled with this Adidas boots which the toe box width seems fine and length wise is just right or tiny tiny tiny bit long.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like it might be a two-part issue. But when trying on and modding boots, ALWAYS use very thin nylon dress socks or even better your GF's nylons. DO NOT use snowboard socks!

The primary/first place to start is insoles and arch support. You have lack of arch support, and thus pain internal/bottom of your foot areas. Consider finding a good fitting pair of after market arch supports. Something like Ed V's or Superfeet. Ime, these are thicker for arch support and impact/shock absorption. But you can always sand down the hard plastic forms on the bottom with a belt sander to get some more room...but don't do the sanding until you try to manage the 2nd point below.
Amazon.com: Sole Unisex Ed Viesturs Signature Edition Insole (7) : Health & Household

The second issue is the hotspots on the top of your foot. Perhaps some of the pain/numbness issues is the nerve and blood flow is constricted atop the top of your foot. Do this after you deal with the arch support...BUT before you sand the bottom of the well fitting arch support insoles. To blow out some room on the top of your foot, i.e., instep area that are reddened. Get a piece of self-adhesive boot fitting foam. Cut it to the same size of your reddened area, paste it on your bare foot, then put on a nylon sock from your GF, heat up your liner as in cooking your liner...you don't need to do a full cooking/warming. Or use your GF's hair/blow dryer, warm that area of the liner. Then put the liner in your boot. IMPORTANT have the above aftermarket insoles inside the liner. And then your foot in the boot with warmed liner. Tighten your boots as if riding. Put a piece of 2x4 (1.5") thick wood under the toes of your boots (to simulate you being in the riding position). And stand there for 10-15 minutes until your liner forms. This will blow out/create space for the top of your foot. During this, your fit will feel really tight, not to worry, this is the process of making blowing out some space in the liner. Remove your foot, take off the boot fitting foam from the top of your foot. And then put your foot back in to see how it feels; it should be a lot more comfortable.

Lastly, Go ride for a day. If the fit still feels tight, then sand down the hard plastic from bottom of the insole. But only sand down 1-2 mm. A little goes a long way. Otoh, if one foot or both feel too loose, i.e., boots feel to bit, then put in a full-length/size boot shim. A boot shim is a 1-3mm piece of material that fits between on the bottom of the inside of the boot and the liner and will soak up about 0.5 size of boot volume.

Just to note: Your foot, feeling also needs to adjust or condition to a new feeling...AND your liners will also break-in/pack out...so ride first 3-7 days before making any major mods and then just do little tweaks. So just be mindful, this is a process and not a 1 and done event. Consider this is also a learning and progression of you learning about your feet. Once you experience and figure this out, you will be able to mod your liners/boots to a level of performance slippers.
Wow, I've always only been told to use snowboard socks and never to use any other thin socks or what not. I didn't know that I should try on boots with thin nylon dress shoe socks. Is there a reason?

For point 1, I did attempt 2 things but only successfully tried 1 out of the 2. I had an old pair of DC boots insoles that fit into my Adidas tactical boots perfectly, it relatively hard and seemingly felt good with arch support (for my mild flat foot) so I placed it in and have been snowboarding with it. I also bought FP-insoles and oven baked and moulded it but stupidly forgot to bring along with me for my trip to try on. So I was stuck with the DC insoles which now I know, possible isn't enough? Or maybe its enough but just the top part of the foot is constricted like you mentioned. I'll have to try 3 more variations.

For Point 2, I did exactly that with my after market insoles inside, in fact I paid $50 to have my inner liner warmed inside a special oven while the shop owner passed me the instep foam to fit onto my instep then my sock. The foam is relatively squishy and thin though. Initially it did help, but the next day when I fit my feet back into the boot that was heat moulded the day before, it felt like it squished me on my insteps again.

Noted on your last point and I sincerely appreciate the advices. I will continue to try variations. There was even a thread mentioning that they cut out the inner-liner portion where it comes in contact with the insteps and that solved years of their problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts