Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !
So I want to get a board for carving only. Im not an expert but I have my level 3 instructor certification in Canada so I would say Im an advanced rider.

I currently ride a Burton Deep Thinker 156.

I would like to know if there are some "cheap" (Under 700$CAD) boardercross boards ? Also, how big is the "agressivity" difference between something like my stick and a BX board ?
If there's not anything in my price range, any Freeride - Stiff - Wide - Twin or direct. twin board that you guys would recommand to replace a BX ?
(I don't want any toe drag)

Male / 5"10 / 145lbs /9US boot size

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
People have won nationals with similar boards as the deep thinker, but would check the used markets or any local/national boardercross groups.. if that's a thing

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
People have won nationals with similar boards as the deep thinker, but would check the used markets or any local/national boardercross groups.. if that's a thing
Yes I really reallyyy like my board for carving, that's why I want to know how big is the step between that and a BX board...Will check if there are some groups.
Thanks for the reply !

·
Registered
47 Posts
In BX it is more about the glide than carving, but you definitely get on edge too. In general, BX boards are way more damp (at least the pricey ones), stiff and most of all -- the biggest noticeable difference is that they have fairly large radius sidecuts. You will also find quite a bit of taper on BX boards too.

I agree that checking the used market is a good start for something in your desired price range. Best wishes/luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of stock for the season but For under 700$ and carving only board you should really check out the Fullbag Diamond Blade.
This board looks sick ! But I never rode more than 156...isn't 163 (wich is the only lenght from what I understood) kind of big for a lightweight like me ?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Amplid Pentaquark.
I was going to say this or the UNW8. But the Pentaquark first! Both are a real step away from regular good carving boards. The anti-vibrational technologies Amplid uses really work. The bases are really high end and fast. Their sidecuts are longer than normal, and the flex is specialized for stability and speed. I have a hard time riding my Pentaquark at some resorts because it's just too fast- it's like driving a supercar on city streets, if the supercar was super damp and comfortable.

·
Registered
387 Posts
@WigMar not a dedicated bx board, and I have limited use on it, but that’s exactly what my Ultra Mind Expander feels like (to me) on city streets. It’s scaring the shit out of me that I can pin it in 6th gear turns and it just wants more, but I get no warning about the true speed because it’s damp ... at speed. Slow its a chattery shitbox but you can still get surfy with it putzing along, thank you Jones 3D base. It’s for “all business” riding.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
paging @timmytard has a ride timeless and I'm sure some other ones.
Yeah I have a few that excel in that area & shit, for $600 bucks I'll sell you 3 or 4 of em.
So can decide after you ride em all.

Wrath is bang on with the Timeless though.
It's a fuckin' beast.
161cm really torsionally stiff, large side cut, not overly wide & virtually brand new.

Don't let the year of board blur your vision of how good a boarder cross board can be.
I have a Hooger Booger Blaster that's 159, an asymmetrical board with what's coined as "Dual camber" so similar to never summers Rocker & camber, but sits on the ground like lib-tech's C3(it has a large pronounced rocker in the middle, but it sits off the ground like C3, where as NS's rocker touches the ground)
That thing is supposed to be freestyle-ish but I couldn't feel any freestyle in it, it only wants to carve.

But I actually have probably one of the best boards designed for exactly what you want to do.
Again it's not a new board but if you look at what it has going on under the hood.
It got more tweaks that meth head you saw scopin' out boards down by the racks.

Come to think of it, I have another one that was made just for that as well.
A Volkl Cross 160cm.
Someone just posted a thread in one of my Facebook groups about the Cross, I'll see if I can find the post & take a couple screenshots of what a these ex racer guys posted about it.
I know one was saying he WON a race riding one against dudes on full on alpine race setups that we're at least 10cm bigger than what he was riding.

I got some kick ass boards actually haha

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
Some Nidecker stuff should fit the bill. Not the area/tracer/(forgot the other one) carver series, but the stiffer stuff.

Biggest difference between my BX board and any of my others is the complete lack of torsional flex. Like none, zero. In fact there is 0 play anywhere on the board. When it locks on edge it’s absolutely locked, and you’re not manipulating that turn radius by center flexing. Hang on lol.

Mine is a Palmer Crown. While it’s definitely not a “carver” in the sense that it makes beautiful turns, it will rip a turn confidently at higher speed than any other type of board I’ve ridden. Sucks fat dicks at low speeds. Don’t bother turning until you’re going fast enough to utilize the side cut. If you can find an old Palmer in good condition that should do it for you.

Curious why you want a BX board for anything other than straight up bombing. Definitely more “fun” directions to go for carvers.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had a United Shapes Orbit for a few weeks this year, lots of effective edge for its length, stiff AF, I bet it would make a killer bx board.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Some Nidecker stuff should fit the bill. Not the area/tracer/(forgot the other one) carver series, but the stiffer stuff.

Biggest difference between my BX board and any of my others is the complete lack of torsional flex. Like none, zero. In fact there is 0 play anywhere on the board. When it locks on edge it’s absolutely locked, and you’re not manipulating that turn radius by center flexing. Hang on lol.

Mine is a Palmer Crown. While it’s definitely not a “carver” in the sense that it makes beautiful turns, it will rip a turn confidently at higher speed than any other type of board I’ve ridden. Sucks fat dicks at low speeds. Don’t bother turning until you’re going fast enough to utilize the side cut. If you can find an old Palmer in good condition that should do it for you.

Curious why you want a BX board for anything other than straight up bombing. Definitely more “fun” directions to go for carvers.
Palmer's are awesome.
I just sold my Titanium Channel a few months ago.
That board is in a class of its own.
That one was the 5th Channel I've owned.
Every time one pops up I end up buyin' it.
So I'm pretty confident I'll have at least one if not more in the years to come.

1st pic, the Option Vinson in the middle & the Prior on the right would work.
Pic 2 custom X 156 on the left.
3. Honeycircle on the left.
4. Just the honeycircle in the middle remains.
5 Ride Concept on the left & Timeless in the middle.

I also did some measurements of a couple boards.
Forgot to take pics though before I left
So I'll post those later.

TT

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey thanks everyone !
SO I decided after your comments and some more research that even if I really like charging down like I fear no god, I would be better off with a "mainstream" carving board that's a little more versatile...Im looking at the Custom X (Not my favorite), my Burton Deep Thinker but 157 cm with the Wide option, the Fullbag Diamond Blade (Definitely my fav), the Dupraz DI 5.5. and the Nitro Banker (Looks so insane...just not a lot of infos about it)
Will update you on my choice and again, thank you all for taking the time to reply with some good ass precise answers !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts