Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The Dupraz isn't in the same league as the others if you want a charger.
Depends which one you choose.
I have a standard & a D+, both are 5'5
The D+ charges just as hard as any.
Most people that try a Dupraz for some reason end up riding the D+, those are the people that end up not liking them.

I can't imagine how hard a D++ must charge

TT

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
@timmytard I have the same Honey Circle in a 152! That’s the board that made me fall in love with riding. I’ll post a pic of my Palmers later.
Really?
Hahaha I haven't tried it yet.
It's a noodle compared to the other two.
Wasn't sure how good it would be?
Guess I'm gonna have to ride it before I sell it.

TT

·
Registered
959 Posts
@timmytard Its more of an all mtn freestyle board. I rode it when I was like 12-14 yrs old I think. I don’t know how much of that is hindsight through rose colored lenses. If I recall I had some blue burton customs on there and nitro boots at the time. Special Blend and Sessions were still around and 3 Musketeers weren’t fat free yet.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The Dupraz isn't in the same league as the others if you want a charger.
The Dupraz is a pretty unique board, pretty sure there isn't another board company out there, with only 1 shape.
With different sizes & flex patterns.
Not that I'm aware of???

Here's an Avalanche this was Chris Sanders dream board.
This was supposed to be one of the best boards in the world when it came out.
According to Chris Sanders lol

Beside my D+
The Avalanche even has taper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
A vote for the Yes Optimistic...agile, grippy, stable and dances through trees as well as it leaves scalpel lines in the snow.
But adding to my list is the Nidecker 'The Donuts'.
I got to try the Nidecker Smoke 2021model, and loved it. Very similar to the Yes in terms of performance, but stiffer both torsionally and flex wise. I then discovered that it was almost identical to the Smoke, with only cosmetic changes to the tip and tail.
Thanks to a killer deal I got the 2017 Donuts for a fraction of the price of a new one.
I only got in 5 days on it before the pandemic shut my resort, but they were the most enjoyable 4 days of riding I had this winter.
Being stiffer than the Yes, it's grip at high speed and acceleration out of turns were like an alpine board.
Nidecker claim that the base is the fastest one used on a production board, and I have to say, I don't doubt it. I think it's easily as fast as my Oxess SBX was when I raced Boardercross, possibly faster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
See you went ahead and got the Pentaquark. Great choice!

Be aware though that the Pentaquark (and the UNW8 and most of the other boards mentioned on this thread) actually have pretty standard sidecut radii, etc.

If you really want a proper Boardercross shape at a reasonable price (i.e. not a Kessler!) about the only option is the F2 Eliminator. Volkl used to make one too but they've stopped making snowboards.

The big sidecut does make a significant difference.You don't want a Boardercross board to turn tight when you put it on edge because all the turns on the track will be banked anyway - you don't need loads of sidecut. A tight sidecut just makes it feel twitchy at race speed.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

Be aware though that the Pentaquark (and the UNW8 and most of the other boards mentioned on this thread) actually have pretty standard sidecut radii, etc.

If you really want a proper Boardercross shape at a reasonable price (i.e. not a Kessler!) about the only option is the F2 Eliminator. Volkl used to make one too but they've stopped making snowboards.

The big sidecut does make a significant difference.You don't want a Boardercross board to turn tight when you put it on edge because all the turns on the track will be banked anyway - you don't need loads of sidecut. A tight sidecut just makes it feel twitchy at race speed.
I have a Volkl Cross.
Haven't tried it yet, but will next season. Hopefully

TT

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Yea I realized a full-on BX board wasn’t what I needed... so I chose the closest thing to it without being one ! The goal is to carve like K. Kobayashi on youtube hehe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Hey ! You seem to understand well how the specs of a snowboard work so I have a question: Is there a noticeable or BIG difference between a board with 1350mm of effective edge and one with 1210EE ? In my head 1cm can’t change that much but im probably wrong...
Thanks !

·
Registered
466 Posts
The Pentaquark doesn’t have 121 EE. It is the running length in the specs. The EE on Penta is around 130 cm if you measure it along the edge curve.
For reference, check some specs on full camber Koruas, running length vs EE ratio.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
The Pentaquark doesn’t have 121 EE. It is the running length in the specs. The EE on Penta is around 130 cm if you measure it along the edge curve.
For reference, check some specs on full camber Koruas, running length vs EE ratio.
Hey Yeahti !
Ok well thats what I was thinking but then I asked the guy at Amplid if Running Lenght=EE and they said it was the same, maybe they didn’t want to bother with a 90mm difference because I was surprised too... Thanks for the tip now I know how to mesure it hehe !

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey Yeahti !
Ok well thats what I was thinking but then I asked the guy at Amplid if Running Lenght=EE and they said it was the same, maybe they didn’t want to bother with a 90mm difference because I was surprised too... Thanks for the tip now I know how to mesure it hehe !
90 mm of effective edge difference would be huge. It’s not that much but honestly if the effective edge on the Pentaquark was 1210 mm it would be very short for an uber carver as they are marketing it. Especially that Peter Bauer claims in one of their vids that the Pentaquark in 160 cm boasts the running length of a 175 cm ‚traditional board’. That is true but if you at the same time say that the running length is the same as the effective edge and someone takes the effective edge measurement from another brand this claim pales hard in such comparisons.

I rate the whole Centrifugal Collection I’ve ridden very high as carving-oriented boards, their customer service is superb but their marketing is seriously below average.
Youtube any of their boards. One or two professional edits but I didn’t have a jaw-dropping moment watching the Pentaquark, the Unw8 or the Surfari in action. Especially for the fact that these are very expensive boards. Their instagram is better but still not even comparable to what Korua or Nidecker have been launching and I watch literally every day. For me the most ‚hyping vids’ are the ones on their site with Peter spinning each board in nice light with his googles on. The 19/21 collection looks so sleek and fresh. Where are some vids that show how great they carve on chop? This is where I feel the Antiphase working.

I could risk a statement that our very positive feedback on this forum makes Amplid sell more boards than their social media marketing.

Pentaquark 158 vs Korua CR 159. Both aligned with each other at the rear contact point of the effective edge. The paper strips are the front contact points of the effective edge.
This plus the fact that the Pentaquark is truly a full camber board while the CR has some rocker in the nose (this contact point is elevated) is the reason for me to keep both, the Penta as an uber carver and the CR as a daily resort carver plus powder :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
^ there is a 0 on that number that doesn’t belong there. Also 121mm is plenty EE for Mach 5 carving. I would say you may notice the 1.4 cm, but you’re not going to get any carves done because of it that you wouldn’t on 121. This is why buying in the off season is soooooo stressful. You’ve gotta obsess over for months post purchase without knowing if you made the right choice! I’ve been there :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
466 Posts
^ there is a 0 on that number that doesn’t belong there. Also 121mm is plenty EE for Mach 5 carving. I would say you may notice the 1.4 cm, but you’re not going to get any carves done because of it that you wouldn’t on 121. This is why buying in the off season is soooooo stressful. You’ve gotta obsess over for months post purchase without knowing if you made the right choice! I’ve been there :ROFLMAO:
For Mach 0,5 carving 😁 Too many posts here with mm and cm measurements

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
A little confused, but 1210 vs 1350 effective edge is a difference of 14cm (nearly 6 inches for those in Trumpland), which is huge.
I agree with this. There's a bit of back and forth with units in this thread and some of it is incorrect with the conversions.

FWIW:
10 mm = 1 cm
1210 mm = 121 cm

I believe most manufacturers measure effective edge as a straight line from contact to contact. Korua is an exception (and it sounds like Amplid may be as well) as they measure it as the actual curved length along the edge, from contact point to contact point.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts