Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about hiking to Robertson Glacier next weekend to do some early season riding. We hiked out to it yesterday and there is a fair amount of snow. The hike is mostly flat, but a bit rough. Lots of loose rubble.

I haven't been up it yet, but I also saw some people head up SparrowHawk with snowboards on Sunday.

Anyone interested?

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Isn't the weather supposed to be kinda of shitty, like 21C through the weekend ?

·
Registered
730 Posts
keep me posted man, I would be down for a hike to early turns for sure! What days you thinking about going?

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking Saturday or Sunday depending on weather. We met up with a few skiers who camped there Saturday night. Said the snow was good. (You can see their tracks in the image). We didn't hike up the glacier, just to the base.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Do you split, or are we talkin snow-shoes/bootpack? I would be down for either day pending I dont get called into work.

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you split, or are we talkin snow-shoes/bootpack? I would be down for either day pending I dont get called into work.
The hike was about 60% of 1-3cm deep snow. The rest being about a foot deep to the base of the glacier. I am thinking I will just have my hiking shoes on and switch to my boots to save of weight.

It is about an 8km hike to the base of the glacier and 5km to the very top (don't have to hike to the very top for fun)

I attached a pic of the loop we did yesterday.

Attachments

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Access to the Robertson/Sir Douglas col requires extensive glacier travel and considerable approach time on these glaciers and should only be attempted by experienced mountaineers.

Mount Robertson : Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering : SummitPost
Yes, if you are not experienced in back country. It is not a safe option for you. It's an 8km hike to the base with your snowboard gear on your back as well. If you don't have much experience hiking with a lot of weight. You will tire out fast.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It pains me to say that it looks like you AB guys have more fun.....
Lots of early season BC riding available in BC as well. Hell, it's in the name! You could even ride the lifts up to Blackcomb glacier in Whistler in July. The coastal mountain ranges have gotten a decent amount of snow already in areas. Gonna get my split ordered any day now!

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
How far is that from Lethbridge?! 4-5 hours? that's a stretch for me at this point.

I'd be down though.
Assuming the entrance is about 20 mins South of Nakiska, then it should be about 3:30 from Lethbridge. You may even be able to come in from the South side of HWY 40... Not sure though.

I'd love to do this kinda thing but:

A) I have no backcountry avalanche training yet

B) I think the hike alone would kill me, I'd rather try some of the areas closer to the road first (highwood pass, or that popular spot up the icefields parkway)

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Assuming the entrance is about 20 mins South of Nakiska, then it should be about 3:30 from Lethbridge. You may even be able to come in from the South side of HWY 40... Not sure though.

I'd love to do this kinda thing but:

A) I have no backcountry avalanche training yet

B) I think the hike alone would kill me, I'd rather try some of the areas closer to the road first (highwood pass, or that popular spot up the icefields parkway)
I think the chance of an avalanche in a foot of snow, with no base, is about negative 400.:dunno:

You should be good to go:thumbsup:

TT

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I think 2 guys got caught in an avy in BC last year in about 2 feet of snow. Killclimbz put the post up. I think one died. They were not snowboarding. They were working oil and gas i believe.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Ya guys are just going to force me to post in here eh? :)

It takes as little as six inches of snow to bury a person. Even less to just plain old slide. Taking a ride right now would be pretty rough. Dragged over rocks and such. Maybe not fully buried but the trauma factor is high. Dead is dead.

Yes the conditions right now should be pretty safe but it is not a sure thing. If you have any sort of slab you probably have some danger. Stick to slopes just at or under 30 degrees. It's early season anyway.

Go out and buy an inclinometer. They are $20-$25 here, can't be much more in Canada. It's a valuable tool for cheap that easily fits in you pocket. BCA makes a great one. I have one with me everytime I go out.

That way you guys can get a more accurate idea of the slope angle you are riding. Pretty much everyone over or under estimates the slope angle by 5-10 degrees, myself included. Stay away from terrain traps.

Most mountain regions have an avalanche death recorded in every month of the year. So it's never too early to think about them and apply travel and safey techniques.

I think you are fine, just some things to consider for you. If you question anything, enjoy the hike and turn around. Better to ride another day.

·
Registered
562 Posts
There's even inclinometer apps for your smartphone, if you feel so inclined (no pun)! Very cheap and accurate if used properly.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The compass app that comes with iOS 7 has a level on the second page that you can use.

Hold it out in front of you at about eye level, line it up with another object that is roughly the same height as your eye level - boom, you've got your slope. Works the same way you'd use a clinometer.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts