Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've ridden rentals a few times a year for the last 8-10 years visiting family in CO. but just couldn't justify purchasing a personal board. Now I'll be moving to Denver in December and I'm looking to get my first setup.

I've generally been interested in carving up groomers, using the small hits and getting in the pow from time to time. Last season I satrted playing with a little more air time, jibs and buttering, all of which I'd like to expound on.

I looked at several different brands and profiles of boards but I've found a good Burton package, all last years models BNIB. Custom Flying V Wide 162 (I'm 6ft and 195-200lbs, shoe size 11.5-12), Cartel EST bindings with the Ambush boots. I've heard pretty good reviews on all of these but what I'm looking for is a few reasons to checkout other setups. On the other hand, if these seem like a decent group I'd love the support so I can go ahead and pull the trigger! Also just wanna make sure my choice of the 162 wide board is the right one for me.

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
So I've ridden rentals a few times a year for the last 8-10 years visiting family in CO. but just couldn't justify purchasing a personal board. Now I'll be moving to Denver in December and I'm looking to get my first setup.

I've generally been interested in carving up groomers, using the small hits and getting in the pow from time to time. Last season I satrted playing with a little more air time, jibs and buttering, all of which I'd like to expound on.

I looked at several different brands and profiles of boards but I've found a good Burton package, all last years models BNIB. Custom Flying V Wide 162 (I'm 6ft and 195-200lbs, shoe size 11.5-12), Cartel EST bindings with the Ambush boots. I've heard pretty good reviews on all of these but what I'm looking for is a few reasons to checkout other setups. On the other hand, if these seem like a decent group I'd love the support so I can go ahead and pull the trigger! Also just wanna make sure my choice of the 162 wide board is the right one for me.

Thanks for any help!

First off, don't let anybody talk you out of something that you see as a good thing lol, especially if it's your money you're spending. As far as the set up...

Cartels are a solid binding Burton has had around for awhile, for good reason. I have a Custom X 158, which is regular camber, and I love it for all mountain. The Flying V is a their hybrid profile, which is the same as my forum deck I use for park and will be fitting for you since you mention jibbing. With an 11.5-12 boot, a wide board would also be fitting, but a 162 seems long for jibbing. That forum deck I mentioned is a 154, but my pow board is a Lib 161.5 and I'm 5'11" with a size 10 boot. I haven't a clue about Burton boots, got nothing for you there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm not really looking to get talked out of it I guess but it's hard to find any criticism on these.

My main question was about the length actually. Most size/weight charts put me in the 160-162 range but I was wondering if that would be long for me. Jibbing probably won't be a huge focus in my riding but I would like something fun for flatland buttering and general playing around. 158 or 162?

thanks!

·
Registered
884 Posts
if you were only planning to use it only in the park i would say 158, if you want to ride pow and carve groomers as well then the 162

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well I never went the Burton route because of the channel system and having to buy EST binding and what not. I think you can convert it all somehow, but I never wasted my time researching it.

I do have Burton boots and bindings which are great, but you can find better boards elsewhere with better tech.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 2012 Ambush felt really good out of the box, super light. After about 30 days they turned into the softest boot I have ever owned, softer than my old Hails. If thats what you like they are great boots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I never went the Burton route because of the channel system and having to buy EST binding and what not. I think you can convert it all somehow, but I never wasted my time researching it.

I do have Burton boots and bindings which are great, but you can find better boards elsewhere with better tech.
yeah, I know they're kinda like Apple, once you buy their products you're pretty locked in...

What other boards would you guys recommend? I've heard good things about Lib-Tech, GNU, Rome...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2012 Ambush felt really good out of the box, super light. After about 30 days they turned into the softest boot I have ever owned, softer than my old Hails. If thats what you like they are great boots.
As for the boots I'm not entirely sure. I would assume I'd like things to be stiffer than you describe... I'll look into some stiffer boots and see what's out there, thanks!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think in general burton boots are a little bit softer then advertised. Having siad that I like my Ambushes (they are very soft though)

·
Registered
751 Posts

You don't HAVE to buy est bindings for burton channel boards. Burton has a full line of bindings called reflex that will work on channel boards and other companies' boards. Every other binding company nowadays can be used on channel boards.
If you buy est bindings though, then you're stuck with channel boards.
In this case buddy, you wouldn't have wasted your time researching it.
...and other boards with better tech??? Wtf you clearly don't know what you're talking about!

·
Registered
884 Posts
salomon assasin 160W

rossignol one magtek 161W

neversummer proto HDX 158

ride machete 161W

lib teck skunk ape HP 161

gnu riders choice c2 pbtx 162W

other boards to look at. there isn't much wrong with the setup you want though

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
anybody have experience with the Ion or the Imperial?
I really like my ions, they're a good stiff boot. My wife and two kids and me all ride 100 percent burton boards, bindings, boots, and most of our outerwear too (ak), dont worry about all burton hardware, nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I mean we can talk about boots all day but when it comes down to it nothing matters more than the way it fits on YOUR foot. If the Ion fits the best and you aren't shy of the price, buy it.

As for your set up. Great choice. There is nothing wrong with it and there is definitely a reason the Custom and Cartels have been in the line as long as they have.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
You don't HAVE to buy est bindings for burton channel boards. Burton has a full line of bindings called reflex that will work on channel boards and other companies' boards. Every other binding company nowadays can be used on channel boards.
If you buy est bindings though, then you're stuck with channel boards.
In this case buddy, you wouldn't have wasted your time researching it.
...and other boards with better tech??? Wtf you clearly don't know what you're talking about!
+1, what he said.

And the Ambush is a perfectly good boot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We have the same stats and boot size, but I made the mistake and went with a wide board. No need to go that wide, look a mid wide for better handling and heel to toe transition. I rode a 157 lib tech t rice last year and had no over hang or problems with that size board. I think 157 to 160 should be fine for you just make sure the waist width is around a 25.5 to 26 for 11.5 boot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
BTW I am riding the 157 Capita Ultrafear this year. I would look at the Burton Parkitect if you want a mid-wide more park oriented board. It's comes in a 157 and 160.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I weigh 210 and started on a 161, then went to a 163 and it was not much fun on groomers or buttering. It was getting worn out. I then went down to a 158 and riding became fun again. I have had cambers and hybrids all in 158 and have no problem floating in moderate pow, ripping groomers or learning in the terrain park. This year I picked up a 156 because I wanted something even more playful, but I have kept my 158 NS SL.

I have the Burton Imperial boots and I like them. They are fairly stiff. I have put about 30 days on them and they have held up well. They will last me another season or 2. With boots, get the ones that feel the best. I could care less about looks and brand with boots.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
We have the same stats and boot size, but I made the mistake and went with a wide board. No need to go that wide, look a mid wide for better handling and heel to toe transition. I rode a 157 lib tech t rice last year and had no over hang or problems with that size board. I think 157 to 160 should be fine for you just make sure the waist width is around a 25.5 to 26 for 11.5 boot.
I agree here. I don't recommend wide boards until I hear size 13. ESPECIALLY with burton footprint reduction. I rode a 25.3 waist with size 11s and was able to carve hard with no toe drag (15/-12 stance). You really don't need above a 26.0 waist with a size 12 boot.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I've had both in back-to-back seasons. Both are fantastic boots, so if it fits and you can afford it, both great options. Ion is a little stiffer, but not nearly as much as they make it seem on paper.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts