Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Snowboarding forum!

I am an intermediate rider and looking for a new board to add to my quiver. I primary boarding in Japan, in Niseko and Nagano area.

My size:
170cm, 76kg, 8.5 boot size.

My style:
Free rider. Half of the time I'm in pow & trees. The other half on groomers. Do a few jumps on small kickers. Havent tried half pipe yet. But definitely no boxes, rails, etc.

My current quiver:
1. Burton Clash
2. Jones Hovercraft

I'm considering selling a Clash and buy a new one to replace it. Want to keep my quiver at 2 boards.

I have a budget of $300 - $400, and ok with buying a used one or last year model.

I have 2 bindings that are compatible with both channel & 4x4 holes.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I guess you could do a proper all-mountain that can do pow, like a Yes Standard or a Jones Mountain Twin or Frontier.
Or you could get a versatile short fat like the Warpig or Superpig or Amplid Dada (just discovered that one last week)
How much switch will you ride? Is stability at high speed really important or you prefer more playfulness and versatility? Do you need camber?
I would personally go short fat as the Hovercraft cover freeride, speed and open field pow so you would have something more playful and nimble for trees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much switch will you ride? Is stability at high speed really important or you prefer more playfulness and versatility? Do you need camber?
I rarely switch. For me, it feels really awkward switching. I always set my stance at +21/+6. Maybe thats the reason why. But I think it should be fun, and I could do some switching & buttering lessons this season.

Last season, I went over 60kph on a hovercraft. It shaken like hell, but luckily I still managed to not fall. I have to admit that was not what I enjoyed.

Camber or not, doesnt really matter for me now. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Well if you're never riding switch the benefits of a twin are lost.

Rome Ravine and Gnu Hyper Kyarve come to mind

·
Registered
200 Posts
@Nivek Can you ride the Hyperkyarve aggressively at all or is it more about that flowy Blake Paul sort of style? Been thinking of one as a all mountain pow deck for Japan also.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Depends on your definition of aggressive and what you're comfortable on. I can yeah, but I like a little looser surfier feel even in aggressive riding. The more aggressive counterpart to the Kyarve would be the Lib Dynamo

·
Registered
200 Posts
Depends on your definition of aggressive and what you're comfortable on. I can yeah, but I like a little looser surfier feel even in aggressive riding. The more aggressive counterpart to the Kyarve would be the Lib Dynamo
Just mean when you lay it over does it feel somewhat like camber / is stiff enough to spring you out of a turn. The riding you do in 'can kevin carve' it essentially. I've ridden the riders choice and it was pretty fun, so was thinking this would be the more pow friendly version of that. I have a cambered board for non pow days.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Nah. That fabulous bastard ain't me ..................................nah

It's like a directional Space Case. If I didn't already have a Zoid I'd have a Kyarve. Actually I still might get the 54 for party boarding and steep trees/shallow pow.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Must admit, I watched Kevins "top-5-worst-snowboard-customers-to-deal-with" on Angry Snowboarder, was hilarious BUT also super informative. Went into my local last weekend with a new boarder looking to buy all new gear and I was paranoid not to 'be that guy'. Yes The Greats is my all mountain choice, but I ride switch a lot. Short fat powder boards are the go for Japan.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Must admit, I watched Kevins "top-5-worst-snowboard-customers-to-deal-with" on Angry Snowboarder, was hilarious BUT also super informative. Went into my local last weekend with a new boarder looking to buy all new gear and I was paranoid not to 'be that guy'. Yes The Greats is my all mountain choice, but I ride switch a lot. Short fat powder boards are the go for Japan.
Long skinny pow boards are the go for Japan lol.
Seriously it depends on how you ride. If you need big brakes a short fat or no tail board will give you that at the expense of float.
If you have supreme confidence through trees that same board will feel slow and unstable.
I ride long skinny for japan pow.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Plenty of short fat boards with lots of float. Dodging trees with a big board is about as much fun as riding a mal I reckon, but we all ride differently and there are trade off's I agree. Short boards can get very bouncy but I actually kinda like that in pow. Hopefully I'll see your form at Sugi soon as there won't be too many laying down the turns you speak of OR riding longer boards.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Plenty of short fat boards with lots of float. Dodging trees with a big board is about as much fun as riding a mal I reckon, but we all ride differently and there are trade off's I agree. Short boards can get very bouncy but I actually kinda like that in pow. Hopefully I'll see your form at Sugi soon as there won't be too many laying down the turns you speak of OR riding longer boards.
Short boards are easy to tip from end to end. This is why people love them in trees because you can stand on the tail and stop quickly, the flip side is that it will not ride parallel to the snow, rather it will be nose up which is slow if you have a higher skill set.
I quit swallow tails after a 1m dump at kiroro, frustrated by the angle my board wanted to ride at.

Long boards are less nimble and require more skill to navigate trees, they wont stop on a dime, in fact stepping on the tail will add speed which can be dangerous at a lower skill level in trees

I wont be at sugi this season unfortunately. Nozawa and shiga for me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A bigger board with a longer tail in trees is unquestionably harder to turn and harder to keep the nose out in a typical powder tree run, regardless of how good you are. The question for me is not can I ride it well or worried I can't stop, it's why make life harder than it needs to be for that type of riding anyway. Little boards are not meant for 1m dumps for sure.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Most long powder boards either have a flexy tail or you just stay way back on them anyways, so the skill gap shouldn't be that big besides tight trees. Short fats are more like skimboarding than surfing, and will be more challenging to ride big lines and drops with, so it evens out. Both are fun. If you ride the tracked out trees at bigger resorts, a regular all mountain won't be the worst idea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts