Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, occasional lurker, first official post....

tldr; I overthink everything and have too much time to read. What makes me go fast, but still able to do jumps and butters?

9.5 boot, 185lbs, 6'2". I'd say I'm in the intermediate to advanced range. Looking to upgrade to a new board from my 2017 159 Burton Process Flying V. I don't have any special attachment to that design of board, it's just what I bought when I first learned and I'm ready to move on. It's been fun, and was a growth experience, but I've changed, the board really hasn't. Time to go our separate ways....it's....just not exciting and adventurous anymore....I need something new and fresh...

Mostly interested in carving down groomers, and being able to hit some jumps, and dial in my butters. I live in Boston and don't (yet) take big trips out west, so all of my riding is in the northeast. So, I need something that can handle hardpack snow and ice. Not really worried about riding in powder or getting jibby in the park. I've seen the term "aggressive all mountain freestyle" which sounds great, but is that even realistic?

I don't know if you've noticed, but there are a lot of snowboards. Trying to get my head around everything.

Things I think I want (but feel free to talk sense into me)
  • Camberish profile
  • Flex: around a 5 or 6
  • Good for carving and riding at speed
  • Pop to have fun
  • Able to ride on hard snow
Thanks to global warming and covid I probably can't demo anything until November, so I'm trying to lightly tease myself with window shopping now and hopefully reach a satisfying result at the start of next season.

Boards I'm eyeing up now, in no particular order:
Solaman Assassin or Assassin Pro
Niche Crux (I didn't hear of this company until diving into this research. Are they legit or just a "me too" type vanity board so someone can say they have a snowboard company?)
NS Prototype Two
Yes Standard

Thanks for hanging in there.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I’m hunting for a Yes Standard. Think you are on the right path there. Talked to guys in a shop and they were saying it was one of the most fun boards they tested this year. They were sold out so it wasn’t a sales pitch. Told them I wanted a twin with camber between my feet, playful tips, and freestyle oriented.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
You have a good list there, just need to dial in the overall 'feel' you're looking for.

I have a Niche Theme (Which essentially became the Crux) and it definitely fits all of your criteria. Overall feel wise it's very light and lively, which gives it great pop and energy, but you do feel everything, not a damp board or one for charging through a chunder field without bending your knees. Personally, I really like that 'feel' and paired up with some fairly shock absorbent bindings (Rome, Now, Burton, Union) I'll happily point it down any terrain or take it off any jump.

The Salomon Assassin or Pro (I'd put you on the regular, not the Pro) has rocker in the tips so a slightly looser overall feel, runs a tad heavier and a bit more damp, but still plenty of energy return for ollies and jumps etc. Good on ice but not great, I'd give the edge to Niche there.

The NS Proto T2 is a good board, but if you want pop that's the area it will let you down the most. Great twin for riding everything on the mountain, but when it comes to generating your own air, it just doesn't snap back like a more camber dominant profile. NS boards are typically known to be more damp than lively. Great if that's the feel you like?

Yes Standard I haven't ridden, and if you were doing trips out west I'd say that's probably the better pick with it's slamback inserts, but for the east coast and 8.5 boots, it runs a little wide so unless you know you want that, might be more work than you need.

I'd also look at the Huck Knife Pro, sits somewhere in between the Assassin and Assassin pro flex wise, more camber dominant profile, but still enough give in the tips to play with. I've only ridden one for 2 laps so take that with a grain of salt, feels aggressive until you really press into the tips and then the flex is there.

Burton Freethinker could be a solid option as well. Honestly most companies have something to suit you, just gotta decide on those finer details you'd like to get out of the board.

What do and don't you like about your process flying v? That's a good way to start narrowing it down.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Check out Yes Ghost. Not so hyped as the Standard so easier/cheaper to get. I haven’t ridden the Standard but my friend owns the Ghost I’ve ridden for a good couple of hours. I’ve spent 15+ days on my Yes Greats last season and 4-5 on my Yes Optimistic this one and all Yes boards have pretty similar feel. I don’t expect the Standard to ride differently than the Ghost. I don’t jib but probably the Standard has the upper hand there and in powder while the extra camber on the Ghost makes the groomers a bit more fun.

Check the specs, same Midbite, same sidecut radius, same tip/tail width, same core, both have slambacks.

And about it being ‚aggressive’ - the Ghost owner is just skidding around, not athletic at all, yelling at him to bend his legs all the time and still he has no nasty edge catches or any anything. He has been progressing lately to something that will probably grow to scarving next season so don’t worry at all about it being ‚aggressive’ or hard to ride if, like @Phedder suggests, you size it properly to your feet. It is pretty wide at the inserts.

On the Assassin - I owned it and rode it 12-15 days last season before I got the Greats. Pretty much what Phedder says. It is like a more forgiving and a softer flexing Mercury (more torsional flex due to this mid flat section). Really light and snappy. Good but not great on ice (I used to think it’s shitty on ice but it’s a pretty standard grip for a camrock with no real edge tech). The Ghost has the upper hand there for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What do and don't you like about your process flying v? That's a good way to start narrowing it down.
I’m still learning how to talk about snowboards and feel. I feel confident getting down any run. I don’t yet feel confident talking about specific aspects of specific boards.

Part of it is just good old fashioned consumerism- I want a new toy.

Process feels a little sloppy, and I’ve read the Flying V profile isn’t great for progressing.

What I do like about it is that I feel super comfortable and confident on it. Carving is ok and I feel good on jumps.

Last week I rode both a Custom X and Flight Attendant. I can say they were stiffer and more stable, but looking back, I wasn’t really thinking about how they rode, which I guess is something to do going forward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have a good list there, just need to dial in the overall 'feel' you're looking for.

I have a Niche Theme (Which essentially became the Crux) and it definitely fits all of your criteria. Overall feel wise it's very light and lively, which gives it great pop and energy, but you do feel everything, not a damp board or one for charging through a chunder field without bending your knees. Personally, I really like that 'feel' and paired up with some fairly shock absorbent bindings (Rome, Now, Burton, Union) I'll happily point it down any terrain or take it off any jump.
The Crux really intrigues me, and is probably #1 on my list. My biggest concern is the lack of dampness, I've seen that come up in a few places. I'm comfortable riding with soft knees, and I kind of like the challenge of navigating through/over/around crud. So, maybe not a big deal?

Aaaaand, if I pair it with "shock absorbing" bindings, would the trade off for that mean that the binding/board combo would be slightly less responsive, because it would take more force to transfer energy from me to through the bindings to the board? Not saying that's not a good idea, just trying to make sure I understand the physics of all the interactions.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I I've ridden a 2019 Yes Standard, back to back comparing with my 2018 Yes Jackpot (the "old" profile).

The Standard kinda blew me away -- light on its feet, easy to initiate turns, but what got me was that it just felt like it had more torsional play and pliability, and yet it still held a way better edge than my Jackpot. It just felt more stable, easier to give it the beans and lean into, and more "got your back" everywhere, whilst still feeling more playful than a supposed dedicated freestyle/park board in the Jackpot.

I've got a Rome PD MT (pow and carver), and a Marhar LJ (I sized too large, so we'll see - that could be my all-in-one daily), and have been seriously thinking about getting another board that is easy access. I had my heart set on a Westmark Rocker but we'll see if the store I'm loyal to, will get those in this season (other stores in Melbs will have 'em, but fck those stores).

If the Westmark is a no-go, then I'll very seriously be thinking about a Standard 156 -- my (3 run) experience with the Standard has me thinking that it'd be a fantastic daily driver all-in-one.

I just wish they'd do something with those slamback inserts though - I believe they run at reference width, and Yes ref points are wide (I believe a reference width of 23inches for the 156).

·
Registered
198 Posts
The ghost is one of my favourite all mountain boards. It's got the best blend of camber and rocker that I've experienced - It's super forgiving, but still carves really well with a good bit of camber.

For your weight and foot size I might not recommend it though. You'll end up on the 156 if you don't want it to feel too wide and I think that would be a bit short for hammering around the mountain (you could do it fine but depends on your preference).

If you have channel bindings from your process, I'd look at the free thinker or a custom?

Buttery + carving and charging are usually opposing wants. You could have a go at bataleons TBT tech if you wanted to get spicy. The goliath might be a good choice (also another board I really enjoyed my time on) and comes in heaps of sizes - stiffer, rails turns, butters well, has full camber.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have channel bindings from your process, I'd look at the free thinker or a custom?

Buttery + carving and charging are usually opposing wants.
I do have 2017 channeI mission bindings. I figured I'd just get new bindings too, and just jump in head first to new stuff. ?

Yeah, i'm coming to understand that those wants are kind of on different spectrums, but it seems like there are some options that close enough in most regards.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Crux isnt going to ride any harsher than your process and likely smoother with the build and camber. Niche is a very solid brand that I back fully.

Also look into the Gnu Headspace, Lib Box Knife, Rome Agent, Arbor Shiloh Camber, Yes Jackpot, Burton Free Thinker, and K2 Broadcast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also look into the Gnu Headspace, Lib Box Knife, Rome Agent, Arbor Shiloh Camber, Yes Jackpot, Burton Free Thinker, and K2 Broadcast.

The best thing about this forum is that people deciding on a board are like "I have my options narrowed down to these 3 or 4 boards." Then people give good feedback, but also list 5 other boards that seem to fit really well. The worst thing about this forum is that people deciding on a board are like "I have my options narrowed down to these 3 or 4 boards." Then people give good feedback, but also list 5 other boards that seem to fit really well.... :cool: :p o_O

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've owned my fair share of snowboards in my short 30 years of snowboarding and I finally found the one.
The 2020 Nitro suprateam is the board that was able to fill my soul.
By far the best all mountain freestyle board I ever ridden. If it wasn't for Sven Thorgren I would have not bought this board.
I was chatting with him on Instagram and I was asking questions about the Nitro beast mw 157 and he told me that I should give the Supra team a shot and that he uses it for everything from slopestyle runs to carving groomers. That's what he's riding but with the beast graphics.
This board really is a true high quality quiver of one. First thing I noticed when I picked up the board is that it's super light. The board flex, even though rated at 8 out of 10, is not too stiff longitudinally and torsionally.
I have nothing but good things to say about this deck.
For reference I'm 6' and weight 190lbs and I ride the 159.

Hope it helped.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
The best thing about this forum is that people deciding on a board are like "I have my options narrowed down to these 3 or 4 boards." Then people give good feedback, but also list 5 other boards that seem to fit really well. The worst thing about this forum is that people deciding on a board are like "I have my options narrowed down to these 3 or 4 boards." Then people give good feedback, but also list 5 other boards that seem to fit really well.... :cool: :p o_O
DON'T buy boards by narrowing it down to a few first.

Narrow boards down by finding out first what's available locally (if anything is open), and then what you can get the best deal on online. Buy now, don't wait until the start of the season when prices go up. (Yes, prices go up starting in September, even on last year's boards) You can wait until July or August to buy boards but you won't save much and the selection will be smaller particularly if you're into a popular length.

Honestly, there are many, many boards that you'll like and it really doesn't matter that much unless you're looking for a very specific freakish thing like a Nitro Cannon or Yes 420. For all-mountain freestyle you'll get used to a specific board and that will be the "right" one.

I have a large quiver, and I'm just most comfortable on a Rome Mod because I ride it the most so it's become my favorite. I also have a Lago Double Barrel which is a similar class of board, and if I had ridden that one first that would probably be my favorite. But both are excellent boards, as are all of the others listed here. Whatever board you choose that you ride a lot will be what you end up preferring. (Don't get a Mod or Double Barrel though, they're too stiff and aggressive for what you want.)

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
One more thing, resist buying from the web site with the mountain goat logo. They have a ton of stuff on sale now because, I'm guessing, everyone's been boycotting them after they got lawsuit-happy last year. So it's tempting but look elsewhere.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 2021 Jones Mountain Twin looks amazing. It’s slightly more skewed for freestyle with some upgrades, new shape, 3D base, and centered stance. I always buy my boards at the end of year on sale but I may have to pick this up for the season

·
Registered
402 Posts
The 2021 Jones Mountain Twin looks amazing. It’s slightly more skewed for freestyle with some upgrades, new shape, 3D base, and centered stance. I always buy my boards at the end of year on sale but I may have to pick this up for the season
Yeah I'd love to give this board a run also. but I've now got 2 boards that are staight out of the wrapper and no closer to getting them on the mountain.......There looks like some great deals out there and coming, especialy if the Southern Hemisphere winter doesn't go ahead.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've owned my fair share of snowboards in my short 30 years of snowboarding and I finally found the one.
The 2020 Nitro suprateam is the board that was able to fill my soul.
By far the best all mountain freestyle board I ever ridden. If it wasn't for Sven Thorgren I would have not bought this board.
I was chatting with him on Instagram and I was asking questions about the Nitro beast mw 157 and he told me that I should give the Supra team a shot and that he uses it for everything from slopestyle runs to carving groomers. That's what he's riding but with the beast graphics.
This board really is a true high quality quiver of one. First thing I noticed when I picked up the board is that it's super light. The board flex, even though rated at 8 out of 10, is not too stiff longitudinally and torsionally.
I have nothing but good things to say about this deck.
For reference I'm 6' and weight 190lbs and I ride the 159.

Hope it helped.
Could you measure the width at the back insert on your Suprateam? I’ve been eyeing it for at least a year but worried if it’s not too narrow with that 254 waist. I think I could find a place for it in the quiver as an all mountain board if it was at least 268. Measure at the reference on the base please. I’d like to try a Nitro board but bumping to the better width at 162 makes no sense length-wise with all my hard carvers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could you measure the width at the back insert on your Suprateam? I’ve been eyeing it for at least a year but worried if it’s not too narrow with that 254 waist. I think I could find a place for it in the quiver as an all mountain board if it was at least 268. Measure at the reference on the base please. I’d like to try a Nitro board but bumping to the better width at 162 makes no sense length-wise with all my hard carvers.
267.5 mm
For reference I wear size 10.5 thirty-two TM-TWO boots and I have no drag issues at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One more thing, resist buying from the web site with the mountain goat logo. They have a ton of stuff on sale now because, I'm guessing, everyone's been boycotting them after they got lawsuit-happy last year. So it's tempting but look elsewhere.
Ooooooh, I appreciate that! Was definitely not familiar with that situation. Will buy elsewhere.

DON'T buy boards by narrowing it down to a few first.

Narrow boards down by finding out first what's available locally (if anything is open), and then what you can get the best deal on online. Buy now, don't wait until the start of the season when prices go up. (Yes, prices go up starting in September, even on last year's boards) You can wait until July or August to buy boards but you won't save much and the selection will be smaller particularly if you're into a popular length.
Ended up buying a Niche Crux 156. It maaaaay be on the smaller side, but the more I thought about, I felt like I wanted to lean more agile. 9.5 Saloman Synapse, 185lbs. I have 7 months to overthink that....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts